Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the poor thing is trying to do its job with only blind spot and side cameras operational?
Pretty off topic to this discussion but... Can you go into service mode (1 minute into the video) and see all your cameras individually and verify your cameras are working? I am able to see what the camera see's individually (8:40 in the video) on my 2023 MY.

• Informative
Reactions: legendsk
11.4.8 installed and then it immediately installed 11.4.8.1??? Is this the Holiday update? Or am I posting in the wrong thread?

2023.27.12 v11.4.8.1 The Good, Bad, and Ugly.
Good: The single tap to activate FSDb. I reckon this might be an improvement, if nothing else, I think it has reduced my workload by nearly 50%. I'm so trained to double tap, it's going to take a while to retrain me. But after the updates I have some questions.
I am not at all sure that I know how to get to:
MANUAL driving from any other mode
TACC from any other mode
NOAP from any other mode
FSDb from any other mode
Is that all the modes there are? And what actual features are included in each? And what actual features are not included in each? Are any of the various sounds, messages, flashing alerts, and verbal admonishments from the car a clue to which mode it is in?

Bad:
The dry wipes go merrily on. With wipers, OFF, Intermittent, or auto.
Still slamming on the breaks when it meets another vehicle on a two lane highway.
Still diving into short exit ramps for u-turns, then running into and over the median to look for the highway again.
Increased phantom breaking frequently for obscure unknown reasons.
Continues to make wide sweeping moves in the direction opposite the intended turn, frightening the passengers and other drivers.
When the NAV guidance voice announces an upcoming turn, it still immediately dives for the furthest lane in the other direction. But that's not all bad, because 80% of the time the guidance is opposite from reality, (as in, "in 500 feet your destination will be on the right." When in fact the destination will be on the left and there is a vacant lot with no driveway or other place to turn on the right.)
It continues to use the center of the highway for its lane as opposed to driving in the right hand of two lanes. I have to disengage for EVERY. FREAKING. SINGLE. CAR. I. MEET. (Except for when it automatically disengages, then asks me why and then flashes the red screen of death.)

Ugly:
As soon as I single tap, the message "FSD will be degraded due to poor weather detected", ALWAYS pops up. Day or night, sunny or cloudy, rain or shine. It doesn't snow here so I can't comment on snow.

The steering wheel nags are much more frequent and I didn't think they could be. Plus now the scroll wheels, both left or right won't satisfy the nags about 50% of the time, but sometimes they do, so it's always worth a try. And when the scroll wheels won't work, then manual torque also won't work until it is enough to disengage. So I disengage around every 10 seconds just for the nags.

The old problem is back, of a street parking area or someone who mowed their yard clear to the pavement, confuses it into apparently believing the lane suddenly became 50 feet wide and it should dive over into that area for a while. If there is someone behind me who decides to pass me on the left, (in the lane I should be in), and then the car figures out it made a mistake and tries to take back the lane it left that is now occupied, and swerves at that car, it unnerves everyone pretty badly. I don't think it would actually run into it, but there's another disengagement and this feature had been fixed previously.

Overall, it is significantly not as good as the previous version. A new thing was added, (single tap). But several old problems that had been fixed are back again. And several new problems have been added. I should have kept my Kia to drive until this thing matures into what I believe it will be and until then, just put the Tesla in the shed. Currently, driving it is risky business, as evidenced by my Tesla insurance increasing by 50%.
Yes indeed. It's crazy how the v11 path continues to fall apart nicely. If only the team implemented the George Costanza opposite strategy.

Reboot = good idea. I had forgot about that, I'll go do it right now. No, camera(s) clean, car clean, no weather problem. Visualization still shows pedestrians and trash cans, but not until after you can look out the driver's or passenger's windows to see them. The latency seems to be terrible? All of these symptoms kind of do point to the front and cabin cameras being dead. Maybe the poor thing is trying to do its job with only blind spot and side cameras operational?
Unfortunately there aren't many reports of v11.8.4.1 being better than previous releases.

Pretty off topic to this discussion but... Can you go into service mode (1 minute into the video) and see all your cameras individually and verify your cameras are working? I am able to see what the camera see's individually (8:40 in the video) on my 2023 MY.
No need for Service Mode since can go into the Service Menu and see any of the camera views.

IMG_4070.jpeg

Very likely that there will be a major update soon. When?

Either:
  1. Thanksgiving weekend (23rd Nov)
  2. CT event (30th Nov)
  3. Christmas (24th Dec)

What will it contain?
  1. Grok (20% likelihood?) -- < 2%
  2. V12 FSD (20% likelihood) ASS included? -- < 2%
  3. Emergency Starlink comms (20% likelihood) -- < 0%
  4. Games - 100% !!
  5. X app? - Doesn't matter. I'll use it exactly <2% of the time, just like I do now on the web or mobile (actually except for Tesla related news !)
  6. ? - 100%. Totally useless and irrelevant updates ;)

I'd reboot...your ugly don't seem to be fleet wide. Maybe your camera is dirty?
Went to the camera view and all cameras are great, much better than I expected. Attached is a picture taken by phone of the rear camera display. Note that straight behind me there is a gray/green golf cart and beside it a ramp up into a trailer. In between the ramp and the golf cart there is a power line pole. It's a bit hard to make out from my crumby Samsung picture of the Tesla display, but I can see the wires on the power pole on the display and it is 2 miles away!
20231207_161429.jpg

This reinforces my belief that back around July 2023 someone decided that if they reduced the pixel count by ? 50%, then the processing would be faster. So with that update the top 1/3 of the visualization went blank and all those things that used to show up in it disappeared. Meeting a semi? It will appear on the display when it is around 75 feet away. A pedestrian will only appear in the display - AFTER they are visible out of one of the front door windows. So I'm still believing there is a processing time / latency problem, and since July a foreshortened view is sent for processing.

Went to the camera view and all cameras are great, much better than I expected. Attached is a picture taken by phone of the rear camera display. Note that straight behind me there is a gray/green golf cart and beside it a ramp up into a trailer. In between the ramp and the golf cart there is a power line pole. It's a bit hard to make out from my crumby Samsung picture of the Tesla display, but I can see the wires on the power pole on the display and it is 2 miles away!
View attachment 997422
This reinforces my belief that back around July 2023 someone decided that if they reduced the pixel count by ? 50%, then the processing would be faster. So with that update the top 1/3 of the visualization went blank and all those things that used to show up in it disappeared. Meeting a semi? It will appear on the display when it is around 75 feet away. A pedestrian will only appear in the display - AFTER they are visible out of one of the front door windows. So I'm still believing there is a processing time / latency problem, and since July a foreshortened view is sent for processing.
There's a lot of problems with FSD, but it sounds like your individual car has its own issues.

That high fidelity park assist doesn’t look helpful. Just give a true 360 view. The high fidelity is similar to what BMW and Audi do where you can see the car in 3D but can see everything else around the car using the cameras which is way better. Maybe in action it will be different. Looks useless for relying it to park as well.

That high fidelity park assist doesn’t look helpful. Just give a true 360 view. The high fidelity is similar to what BMW and Audi do where you can see the car in 3D but can see everything else around the car using the cameras which is way better. Maybe in action it will be different. Looks useless for relying it to park as well.
Tesla doesn't have the camera setup to do a true birds eye 360. There's no front camera.

This is much superior because it's truly a 3D point cloud (like having LIDAR) instead of stretching/warping 2D images to pretend that they're in 3D space. There's no actual depth information in those "360 views" it's just house-of-mirrors, visual trickery. If there was some low-hanging pipe or other protrusion in a garage, or a bollard, it would still look like flat image projected onto a skybox.

Reactions: Todd Burch
This is much superior because it's truly a 3D point cloud (like having LIDAR) instead of stretching/warping 2D images to pretend that they're in 3D space. There's no actual depth information in those "360 views" it's just house-of-mirrors, visual trickery. If there was some low-hanging pipe or other protrusion in a garage, or a bollard, it would still look like flat image projected onto a skybox.
let's not jump the gun on superior. If it's anything like their vision park assist it will be as much use as handbrake on a canoe.