Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was in the UK. Presumably the new headlights named "Global" are used everywhere. But were the old headlights the same in all regions?

Also, if the new headlights have software configurable beam patterns, they may vary in different regions even if they have the same hardware.
There were three versions of the reflector headlights. SAE (US), ECE LHD and ECE RHD.

Presumably the matrix headlights are global/universal and meet both SAE/DOT and ECE regulations. And the matrix technology allows them to adapt RHD vs LHD beam pattern in software.

• Informative
Reactions: bugnotfound
There were three versions of the reflector headlights. SAE (US), ECE LHD and ECE RHD.

Presumably the matrix headlights are global/universal and meet both SAE/DOT and ECE regulations. And the matrix technology allows them to adapt RHD vs LHD beam pattern in software.
In other words, the Global headlights simplify manufacturing logistics because all cars get the same headlights, instead of one of three different versions of hardware. I.e. should make manufacturing less expensive with fewer errors. Of course, if the Global headlights become unavailable, that advantage is lost.

Theoretically, software could automatically switch the Global headlights between LHD and RHD based on what jurisdiction the car is in. Does it actually do that (e.g. if you put your car on a ferry between France and the UK)?

Reactions: E90alex
Theoretically, software could automatically switch the Global headlights between LHD and RHD based on what jurisdiction the car is in. Does it actually do that (e.g. if you put your car on a ferry between France and the UK)?
Theoretically they could, but I don’t think that’s a current function. There was a thread someone else on here of someone in Europe asking if that was possible.

One reddit post indicated rep agreed to replace his premium to global as long as he accepts the delivery. It might be a good way to solve it?
Mmm I feel like the rep is just saying that so they don’t have to deal with a refused car. They’ll probably just turn around in a few weeks and say ‘oh sorry we tried but l Tesla corporate said they won’t allow it. You’re stuck with the car now byeeee.’

There’s no official word on Tesla actually sanctioning or approving such a retrofit, at least not yet. There have been a couple people that have successfully convinced service techs to change the car configuration to accept the new lights but most people hit a brick wall when trying to get Tesla to do so.

Reactions: alset3000 and Kattt
It’s impossible, they’re not retrofitted, thus you CAN’T swap them. He or she got bamboozled.
It’s not completely impossible, people have retrofitted them on the forum.

But it’s nearly impossible because you need to convince a Tesla tech with high enough access level to change your car configuration for you. That’s not exactly something sanctioned by Tesla corporate for them to do, so they could be potentially risking their jobs and/or Tesla could potentially end up disabling it with an OTA update since they know your car didn’t come with them from the factory. They did that with people that retrofitted passenger lumbar support.

Reactions: Panel Gaps
I doubt that it’s impossible. I know the matrix headlights uses separate hardware than the old lights. After all, they were installed on the 3 LR and SR prior to the supply shortage.
You can’t just swap them out as connection ports and electrical hardware used are different. Unless you get it writing, thus stipulating the scope of work to be conducted for the “swap”, you’re f’d. I will reject my M3LR if I learn in the coming week that my vehicle is not outfitted with Global (Matrix). To each there own.

Reactions: Panel Gaps
It’s not completely impossible, people have retrofitted them on the forum.

But it’s nearly impossible because you need to convince a Tesla tech with high enough access level to change your car configuration for you. That’s not exactly something sanctioned by Tesla corporate for them to do, so they could be potentially risking their jobs and/or Tesla could potentially end up disabling it with an OTA update since they know your car didn’t come with them from the factory. They did that with people that retrofitted passenger lumbar support.
Yes, exactly my point. You can’t put much merit into what a lowly SA says. The retrofitting process requires the installation of new electrical hardware and infrastructure - you can’t simply plug in the Matrix headlamp like you’d plug in a new bulb. Again, if you accept the “swap”, get it in writing from management.

Yes, exactly my point. You can’t put much merit into what a lowly SA says. The retrofitting process requires the installation of new electrical hardware and infrastructure - you can’t simply plug in the Matrix headlamp like you’d plug in a new bulb. Again, if you accept the “swap”, get it in writing from management.
The connectors are the same and installation is plug and play. But as stated, it requires convincing someone to modify the software config before the lights will work.

See this thread where people have successfully done it: New headlights retrofit

Sadly I chose to release VIN 2414xx which is a LR because it had no matrix. She told me this trim does not have matrix, I said we have 2 LRs here with the matrix lights and asked if this a recent change. She never elaborated and instead asked why is this feature so important to us. I said we like how they work and for us this is an expensive premium car we don't want the older lights. So we released the VIN and not even 10 minutes later it got reassigned to us again

With this latest intel, if yours doesn't have the matrix lights, I'd probably decline and wait for another one.
Quick update, received my car today with Matrix headlights and a mobile charger! Super happy with delivery, and my Tesla delivery guy looked just like Angus Cloud (literally a woman stopped her car on my street to see if it was him).
249xxx vin was good 👍🏼

E3D33491-1B01-416D-BB6D-2A8E3CE14B70.jpeg

Sadly I chose to release VIN 2414xx which is a LR because it had no matrix. She told me this trim does not have matrix, I said we have 2 LRs here with the matrix lights and asked if this a recent change. She never elaborated and instead asked why is this feature so important to us. I said we like how they work and for us this is an expensive premium car we don't want the older lights. So we released the VIN and not even 10 minutes later it got reassigned to us again
You got the same VIN reassigned to you or a different one?