Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• B811FC8C-1748-4934-A41C-E33C574E86E4.jpeg
    B811FC8C-1748-4934-A41C-E33C574E86E4.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 254
After watching that video, I'm glad I'm not getting the new lights. I'm not a fan of projector headlights. I have them on my 2014 Durango and don't like how the projector itself looks after a few years. It gets some type of grime in front or behind it and almost makes it look like it has cataracts. Plus the throw pattern looks misshapen sometimes. Thanks to Bugnotfound's list, my VIN 2460xx has the reflector type.
Projector headlights are superior to reflector which is cheaper and something brands like Honda used to use on low level models like the Civic. Projectors are brighter and less prone to blinding oncoming traffic than reflector.

My ‘17 S did not come with the recently released adaptive headlights for that trim.

It was clearly featured on the order page.

Once I found out (via the old Tesla forum), I made a service appointment and Tesla swapped them out.
The problem is people don't have evidence of the matrix headlights being explicitly featured on the order page for Model 3/Y. Note adaptive headlights (headlights that move with steering) are different than matrix/projector headlights. AFAIK Model 3/Y never had adaptive headlights.

Last edited:
The problem is people don't have evidence of the matrix headlights being explicitly featured on the order page for Model 3/Y. Note adaptive headlights (headlights that move with steering) are different than matrix/projector headlights. AFAIK Model 3/Y never had adaptive headlights.
Yup.

Am aware of that. Was just pointing out that in our case the literature stated one thing and what was delivered was another. And they fixed it.

By the way. Our ‘17 S & X had adaptive lights. Our ‘22 YP & SP have matrix. :)

Matrix or not. What I was more excited about was that the housing is darker and looks better imo. Same for the non-chrome trim/handles. I found out about that update after my order. Which I’m happy about.

I don’t know if it’s the price of sketchiness of Tesla that makes me think about all these details and wanting to get what the car “supposed” to come with. Bought few new cars in past, but never really dissected a car before. I guess when you got all these months of wait you got nothing better to do.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Matrix or not. What I was more excited about was that the housing is darker and looks better imo. Same for the non-chrome trim/handles. I found out about that update after my order. Which I’m happy about.

I don’t know if it’s the price of sketchiness of Tesla that makes me think about all these details and wanting to get what the car “supposed” to come with. Bought few new cars in past, but never really dissected a car before. I guess when you got all these months of wait you got nothing better to do.
The darker appearance was a definite plus too. The car looks more aggressive from the front with the darker matrix headlights.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Just checked out my local service center. Two Performance models with build date of 4/25 and 4/26 DO have the matrix lights, so it seems like the Performance is not affected so far.

For non-Performance models the cutoff seems to be after 4/23. All the cars up to and including 4/23 had the matrix lights. Everything after had the old lights.

Will have to check again in a week or two and see if there’s any changes on even newer builds.
Great Intell!! Thank you ! Curious when did Tesla start delivering cars with the matrix headlights ?? Mid summer 2021 ?

Great Intell!! Thank you ! Curious when did Tesla start delivering cars with the matrix headlights ?? Mid summer 2021 ?
It was first leaked in August 2020 along with power trunk although unknown what markets the cars were going to, coinciding with new 2021 model year (which started October 2020):
Tesla introduces newly designed headlights and power trunk on the Model 3 [Photos] - Update
They started being delivered in mid-December 2020 in NA:
New Tesla Model 3 headlights now appearing on cars in North America [Update]
I have a 2021 Model 3 SR+ delivered in last day of 2020 myself and I have the matrix/projector headlights.

Reactions: E90alex