Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2022 Model S repair cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear passenger side of the car sideswiped into the wall while entering parking garage.

I took the car to an authorized tesla repair center for an estimate and they sent me one for $16k

Adding screenshots and damage pic, just wanted opinions on is it going to be that expensive? or should I go to another repair center.

Attachments

• IMG_5796.jpeg
    IMG_5796.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 241
  • C59E77D2-47B6-4525-9DBB-FA131380FF36.jpeg
    C59E77D2-47B6-4525-9DBB-FA131380FF36.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 146
My rear passenger side of the car sideswiped into the wall while entering parking garage.

I took the car to an authorized tesla repair center for an estimate and they sent me one for $16k

Adding screenshots and damage pic, just wanted opinions on is it going to be that expensive? or should I go to another repair center.
Thats a super tough area to repair, lots of substructure JUST below the surface panel, and that fender portion doesnt bolt on so its likely cut and paste with aluminum which is mega tough

I got my 2016 and 5 days later got a wee little booboo in the rear of my car -- a dent above the bumper and not much else; it was $12k (aka 1.5 honda fits). I'd be concerned that $16k isn't enough to repair that.

It's definitely not. The fine print at the bottom of the quote states they are free to invent a ton of additional charges after they have already disassembled the car and burned though most of the $16K so you're past the point of no return.

All these body shop owners have figured out how the formula to rape the insurance companies. Now instead of living middle class, they have Lamborghini collections and multiple mansions.

The first estimate seemed nutty to me...~180+ man-hours of labor? It takes about 300 man-hours to build an entire kit car with basic tools. As noted before, I think some shops don't mind over-billing insurance companies. I'd say get a 3rd estimate and base your decision on which shop has the best customer reviews...that don't look appear to be biased or coerced.

Oh and a tip for navigating the turns, use your side mirrors to see what's going on to the side of the car and here's a tip I use for off-roading: Since the rear track is typically wider and the rear does not steer, the inside rear tends to follow the shortest track when you're turning. Therefore, use your B-pillar as a reference point of clearance. Typically you can start turning the steering wheel once the object is past the B-pillar and the rear should stay clear of the object. Practice it a few times with some non-marring cones.

Last edited: