Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR Accident: Acceleration While Braking to Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pass deer literally, every morning, on the side of the road. I slow right down so they don't spook and run in front of me. The screen has never showed one on it. I don't get it.

You already said you don't have FSD (not sure if you have HW3 even?)-- I can't recall a non-FSD car slowing for anything that wasn't pretty much directly ahead of path of travel

Decades ago in driver education, stuck accelerator was an emergency situation that was covered (declutch or shift to neutral and use the brakes). Perhaps it is no longer taught due to the relative rarity of that happening (even with improperly installed floor mats).

Brake failure is another emergency situation that was apparently much more common decades ago (probably from before dual brake fluid circuits became universal). The parking brake was more commonly called the emergency brake back then. However, one mode of braking difficulty exists when there are loose objects in the driver footwell that move around and end up under the brake pedal, preventing it from being depressed fully.

Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that unintended acceleration while parking is rarely encountered with manual transmissions, since the driver usually declutches when intending to brake at parking speeds.
"Push in the clutch, and let it blow. It's over, Cole!"

I've never had an accelerator stick wide open. I have had the throttle cable break or become disconnected from the carburetor, however. Pushing the clutch in and/or shifting to neutral would reduce the deceleration of the car a bit.

Tesla had a recall in China to add a chime because people unknowingly knocked the cruise control stalk:
Tesla 'massive recall' in China is as ridiculously simple as adding a chime when activating cruise control

From a quick search there was a recent thread that described this happening:
How do I stop this unintended acceleration?

I remember other older cases in the forum, but I just link the above because it's even more relevant being recent.
But even if you accidentally turn on cruise it’s adaptive cruise and will only run into something if your holding the accelerator.

OP is suspiciously quiet

They always are. We get these threads fairly regularly- someone is SURE the car accelerated on its own often claiming they were using the brake- folks explain how that's literally impossible, and we never hear from the OP again.

I vaguely recall ONE case where the OP admitted they must have used the wrong pedal, but it's very much the exception.

While braking (accelerator was not applied) to park in a parking lot, the car accelerated, ran over two poles & bushes going through a walkway and swiped a parked car before finally stopping.

Has anyone experienced sudden acceleration while braking? Car was not in cruise control and autopilot isn't enabled on the car.

Does anyone know if Tesla can determine the state of the car when this happened?

Thanks.
Hi Jim I experienced this. In a model 3, I was braking pulling into a parking spot and as I approached the parking block the car accelerated over the parking block into the building. Has anyone else experienced this? I recorded the video on the Tesla screen after the incident and the car slows right before the parking stop and then accelerates at low speed over the parking stop. Of course you second guess yourself but after watching the video, had I hit the accelerator or mashed it like I mashed the break the speed at which I ran over the parking block would of been much greater wouldn't it?

Definitely get your lawyer involved, to request the data logs. Have you had your 2022 SR long?
I had an issue today while parking the model 3 it accelerated slowly over a parking stop weird because if I hit the accelerator it would have jumped the parking stop much faster. The video shows the car just slowly accelerated right after almost coming to a complete stop in the parking spot. I mashed the break too when it started to climb parking stop had I mashed the accelerator it would have accelerated much faster. Anybody else?

Hi Jim I experienced this. In a model 3, I was braking pulling into a parking spot and as I approached the parking block the car accelerated over the parking block into the building. Has anyone else experienced this? I recorded the video on the Tesla screen after the incident and the car slows right before the parking stop and then accelerates at low speed over the parking stop. Of course you second guess yourself but after watching the video, had I hit the accelerator or mashed it like I mashed the break the speed at which I ran over the parking block would of been much greater wouldn't it?

What I said in post number 2 of this thread also applies to you.

Usually, when people say this, we find out later that they "think" they were braking, but they were actually decelerating using one pedal driving, got a bit confused because it wasnt slowing down fast enough, then applied the accelerator.

if thats not what happened in this case, it will be the first one of these "unintended acceleration" claims that is actually that.

File a report with the NHTSA, and be prepared for all the scrutiny that will come with that, and tesla to pull the logs. They will probably show what I said above, but, perhaps you are the first one who this actually happened to.

Reactions: Brou
… had I hit the accelerator or mashed it like I mashed the break the speed at which I ran over the parking block would of been much greater wouldn't it?
No, the vehicle probably limited acceleration based on the obstacle (the building) in front of you.
Or if you release the brake will the car accelerate as you’re getting close to the parking bumper you release brake and then car accelerates is this possible?
No. Sorry, but this is user error. You hit the accelerator.

Or if you release the brake will the car accelerate as your getting close to the parking bumper you release brake and then car accelerates is this possible?
next time when this "unintended "slow" acceleration" happened, you should long press your "P" button, it will engaged your parking brake even when car is at motion to bring the car to completely stop, even your foot is fully pressed on accelerator.

Also there has been multiple test on YouTube and many sites that having left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator at the same time will always limit the accelerator and brake kicks it and stops any acceleration.

perhaps you probably have "Creep" /Roll mode on vs "Hold" ? so the car still rolls when you let go of the accelerator?

directly from user manual:
[
CAUTION
In emergency situations, if the brakes are not functioning properly, press and hold the Park button on the drive stalk to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary.
]

Or if you release the brake will the car accelerate as your getting close to the parking bumper you release brake and then car accelerates is this possible?
Just thought of another possibility. Maybe you were expecting regen to slow the vehicle when regen was limited or unavailable. In that case the vehicle continuing to move forward may feel like slow acceleration when it’s really just rolling.

I had an issue today while parking the model 3 it accelerated slowly over a parking stop weird because if I hit the accelerator it would have jumped the parking stop much faster. The video shows the car just slowly accelerated right after almost coming to a complete stop in the parking spot. I mashed the break too when it started to climb parking stop had I mashed the accelerator it would have accelerated much faster. Anybody else?
Did you hit your turn signal when parking? Do you think you might have hit the right stalk instead of the left stalk and turned on cruise control by mistake?

Did you hit your turn signal when parking? Do you think you might have hit the right stalk instead of the left stalk and turned on cruise control by mistake?
Will cruise control activate at parking lot speeds?

I don't think it will. But even if it did, cruise control would have braked before running into a building. It probably would brake before hitting the parking block.

I think you can activate TACC at an even slower speed (even at a stop) if there is a vehicle in front:

===============================
(fron the manual, which is linked below. bold emphasis on the relevant sentence applied by me)

To Use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control​

To initiate Traffic-Aware Cruise Control when no vehicle is detected ahead of you, you must be driving at least 18 mph (30 km/h), unless certain vehicle and environmental conditions are met, in which case, you may be able to initiate it at lower speeds. If a vehicle is detected ahead of you, you can initiate Traffic-Aware Cruise Control at any speed, even when stationary, provided Model 3 is at least 5 feet (1.5 m) behind the detected vehicle and certain vehicle and environmental conditions are met.

I think you can activate TACC at an even slower speed (even at a stop) if there is a vehicle in front:

===============================
(fron the manual, which is linked below. bold emphasis on the relevant sentence applied by me)

To Use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control​

To initiate Traffic-Aware Cruise Control when no vehicle is detected ahead of you, you must be driving at least 18 mph (30 km/h), unless certain vehicle and environmental conditions are met, in which case, you may be able to initiate it at lower speeds. If a vehicle is detected ahead of you, you can initiate Traffic-Aware Cruise Control at any speed, even when stationary, provided Model 3 is at least 5 feet (1.5 m) behind the detected vehicle and certain vehicle and environmental conditions are met.
That is true, but even if the car thought that parking spot/building was another car it would not take off initially unless you press the accelerator. Just like if you let it stop in TACC and then decide to come closer to the back of the car in front. It won’t move on its own unless you tell it with the accelerator. If you’ll let it stop at the distance it felt like and the car moved then it would take off on it’s own again.

I’m not sure why people still get accelerator and brake pedal confused. All of the cars have these pedals. Hold mode or not I would never press the wrong pedal since moving your foot (to the left) over the brake pedal is part of the stopping procedure as much as pressing the brake pedal itself. Why are we failing to do this here?

That is true, but even if the car thought that parking spot/building was another car it would not take off initially unless you press the accelerator. Just like if you let it stop in TACC and then decide to come closer to the back of the car in front. It won’t move on its own unless you tell it with the accelerator. If you’ll let it stop at the distance it felt like and the car moved then it would take off on it’s own again.

I’m not sure why people still get accelerator and brake pedal confused. All of the cars have these pedals. Hold mode or not I would never press the wrong pedal since moving your foot (to the left) over the brake pedal is part of the stopping procedure as much as pressing the brake pedal itself. Why are we failing to do this here?

Oh yeah, I dont think "the car accelerated on its own, without input" as that has not been proven in a single one of these cases. I was just saying its possible for TACC to activate at lower than 18 mph. I specifically remembered this because of another thread just like this one, about supposed "accelerated on its own" in a drive through situation, where the person specifically double clicked the stalk.

Reactions: parrainx