Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3LR or M3P vs 2018 M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't looked at all the numbers, but now seems like a bizarrely unique time to trade up to new because of the high resale on used.

What're you trying to determine?

You'd be getting a heat pump, heated wheel, chrome delete, auto trunk. I think I read heated charging ports too. There are definitely posts detailing new features (probably a sticky post even).

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I have a M3LR 2018 abs wanted to compare to 2022 same or P version. I have an S on order and was excited but is being deflated by friends with the car hating the yoke and no stalks.

The Model S has far better range, better thermals, faster charging, better straightline performance, way better highway performance, air suspension, way better infotainment, better interior, and cooled seats! The Model 3 is just better at handling and thats about it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I haven't looked at all the numbers, but now seems like a bizarrely unique time to trade up to new because of the high resale on used.

What're you trying to determine?

You'd be getting a heat pump, heated wheel, chrome delete, auto trunk. I think I read heated charging ports too. There are definitely posts detailing new features (probably a sticky post even).
I want the S but can’t get over the Yoke and no stalks. Y is too bumpy for me

Reactions: tm1v2
As an owner of an old S P85 and 2021 M3P, I agree that objectively the new 2021+ S is clearly a better car overall. As it should be for the higher price.

However the yoke is a deal-breaker for me, and the Model 3 matches my driving priorities and preferences far more. I like smaller, more nimble-feeling cars. Much of my driving these days is on very tight, twisty back roads (the really fun kind 😊), and also urban city driving + parking. In those situations the size and yoke of the S are clunky and out of place, and the extra power of an S is of no use either. With just some good rubber and lighter wheels the M3P is fantastic fun for tearing up the twisties. Maybe a new S could go faster (brakes and nannies willing), especially the Plaid, but I'm very doubtful that I would find it more fun.

Plus Track Mode has been essential to my full enjoyment of the M3P, and apparently only the S Plaid has received it, so that's like 2x more expensive than an M3P. The Plaid's power is amazing but I have no real use for it personally. But at the same time I'd deeply regret buying an LR because it lacks Track Mode.

On the flip side the cargo hauling of an S (or Y or X) blows the 3 sedan out of the water. We would never give up our S for a 3 for that reason alone. I love driving our M3P much more than any Model S I've driven (and I've driven many over the years), but the M3P could never be our only car the way our S was for many years.

I like smaller, more nimble-feeling cars. Much of my driving these days is on very tight, twisty back roads (the really fun kind 😊), and also urban city driving + parking. In those situations the size and yoke of the S are clunky and out of place, and the extra power of an S is of no use either.

Same. I leased a 2016 Audi S6 (C7) for about 14 months and then got rid of it because the car was just too large for me, which is why I prefer the M3P over the S.

As an owner of an old S P85 and 2021 M3P, I agree that objectively the new 2021+ S is clearly a better car overall. As it should be for the higher price.

However the yoke is a deal-breaker for me, and the Model 3 matches my driving priorities and preferences far more. I like smaller, more nimble-feeling cars. Much of my driving these days is on very tight, twisty back roads (the really fun kind 😊), and also urban city driving + parking. In those situations the size and yoke of the S are clunky and out of place, and the extra power of an S is of no use either. With just some good rubber and lighter wheels the M3P is fantastic fun for tearing up the twisties. Maybe a new S could go faster (brakes and nannies willing), especially the Plaid, but I'm very doubtful that I would find it more fun.

Plus Track Mode has been essential to my full enjoyment of the M3P, and apparently only the S Plaid has received it, so that's like 2x more expensive than an M3P. The Plaid's power is amazing but I have no real use for it personally. But at the same time I'd deeply regret buying an LR because it lacks Track Mode.

On the flip side the cargo hauling of an S (or Y or X) blows the 3 sedan out of the water. We would never give up our S for a 3 for that reason alone. I love driving our M3P much more than any Model S I've driven (and I've driven many over the years), but the M3P could never be our only car the way our S was for many years.
Great, review, what does the track mode do?

Great, review, what does the track mode do?
@Dirty Dog : Model 3 Track Mode Settings

Without Track Mode you can't put power down exiting corners or ramps very well, the nannies intervene early and pull power or hit the brakes before all your traction is used up.

The nannies also clamp down on any attempt at controlled oversteer or sliding, which I don't normally do in the dry, but that would be super frustrating in the snow and ice.

Besides dialing back the nannies, Track Mode also lets you turn up regen extra strong, which feels great in the twisties or other fast-paced driving. You can do mostly one-pedal driving at a much quicker pace. You can also turn regen way down or off, which might avoid unintended oversteer on ice (because regen in the 3 is heavily rear-biased).

Lastly the handling balance setting seems especially useful for snow and ice. The dual motor 3 is heavily rear-biased in its power delivery by default. In the dry and wet that's fine, it feels almost RWD in a good, fun way. But not what I want in the slippery stuff.

In "normal" driving - running errands around town, driving kids around, etc - Track Mode is completely irrelevant. For most drivers on the road Track Mode would be irrelevant always, except maybe in snow and ice where regen and the nannies could be a real problem for getting through deep snow, up steep hills, etc. (But realistically most drivers aren't going to use something called "Track Mode" anyways.)

@Dirty Dog : Model 3 Track Mode Settings

Without Track Mode you can't put power down exiting corners or ramps very well, the nannies intervene early and pull power or hit the brakes before all your traction is used up.

The nannies also clamp down on any attempt at controlled oversteer or sliding, which I don't normally do in the dry, but that would be super frustrating in the snow and ice.

Besides dialing back the nannies, Track Mode also lets you turn up regen extra strong, which feels great in the twisties or other fast-paced driving. You can do mostly one-pedal driving at a much quicker pace. You can also turn regen way down or off, which might avoid unintended oversteer on ice (because regen in the 3 is heavily rear-biased).

Lastly the handling balance setting seems especially useful for snow and ice. The dual motor 3 is heavily rear-biased in its power delivery by default. In the dry and wet that's fine, it feels almost RWD in a good, fun way. But not what I want in the slippery stuff.

In "normal" driving - running errands around town, driving kids around, etc - Track Mode is completely irrelevant. For most drivers on the road Track Mode would be irrelevant always, except maybe in snow and ice where regen and the nannies could be a real problem for getting through deep snow, up steep hills, etc. (But realistically most drivers aren't going to use something called "Track Mode" anyways.)
So basically it’s Beast Mode for a car

• Funny