Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Uberturbine Wheel Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I wanted to compare the weight of the 2021 M3P 20" Uberturbine wheel & tire to the summer wheels that I use on my 2018 LR RWD.

Uberturbines:
- Stock wheel w/ 2021 M3P, 20x9, +35mm ET
- Stock 235/35-20 Pirelli P-Zero
- 690 miles
- Condition: New
- No wheel lug cap
- Weight: 54.5 lbs

Enkei Raijin:
- 19x8.5, +35mm ET
- 235/40-19 Continental Extremecontact Sport
- ~15,000 miles, multiple autocross events
- Condition: tread worn down to nearly the tops of wear indicators, shoulders are worn round, possibly 2 lbs lighter than a new tire
- Weight: 38.5 lbs

20210107_150529.jpg
20210107_150548.jpg
20210108_134727.jpg
20210108_134807.jpg

Same weight I got for the Uberturbines - they are NOT light.

However, I would double check the weight on those Enkei's. The wheel itself is 23lbs. Not sure there is any possible way that tire is 15.5lbs. Package weight should be closer to 46lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomB985
Same weight I got for the Uberturbines - they are NOT light. However, I would double check the weight on those Enkei's. The wheel itself is 22-23lbs. Not sure there is any possible way that tire is 16.5lbs.
Yeah, this was the lightest of the 2 wheels I weighed (the other one was 39 lbs). The tire is pretty much at the end of its usable life a lot of rubber had been spent. When new its 22 lbs according to Tirerack. I don't know if a tire like this can lose 5-6 lbs of rubber, I'd have to weigh it to be sure once it's unmounted.

The other day I wanted to compare the weight of the 2021 M3P 20" Uberturbine wheel & tire to the summer wheels that I use on my 2018 LR RWD.

Uberturbines:
- Stock wheel w/ 2021 M3P, 20x9, +35mm ET
- Stock 235/35-20 Pirelli P-Zero
- 690 miles
- Condition: New
- No wheel lug cap
- Weight: 54.5 lbs

Enkei Raijin:
- 19x8.5, +35mm ET
- 235/40-19 Continental Extremecontact Sport
- ~15,000 miles, multiple autocross events
- Condition: tread worn down to nearly the tops of wear indicators, shoulders are worn round, possibly 2 lbs lighter than a new tire
- Weight: 38.5 lbs

View attachment 626955 View attachment 626956 View attachment 626957 View attachment 626958

Hey! Finally someone else that marks their tires when they swap them out lol

Would like to know the load rating as well...

Theres a lot of complaining of this wheels getting bent easily, how can they be so heavy and easy to bend at the same time?

Maybe the load rating is a bit low?

JC
Most likely due to the thin sidewall of the tires offering very little protection and minimal impact absorption.
I'd like to know the load rating since I'm curious if they'll be usable on the Model Ys. This would open up the used market on the 20" Uberturbines since many Y owners don't want the 21" due to the weight and staggered sizes.

Would like to know the load rating as well...

Theres a lot of complaining of this wheels getting bent easily, how can they be so heavy and easy to bend at the same time?

Maybe the load rating is a bit low?

JC

OEM wheels are usually casted from a single piece of aluminum. This becomes a compromise for weight and structural integrity in the name of budgeting. Then you match that up with the current trend of large diameter wheels and low profile tires, you get bent rims.

It actually baffles me how much people are willing to pay for OEM Tesla wheels when there are much better aftermarket options out there that are lighter and stronger for less money sometimes. I have a hunch this is due to a lot of Tesla owners not being versed with the aftermarket offerings, as this is the first car that they actually gave a rats ass about haha.

With that being said, I do like some of the OEM designs. i.e Zero-G referral wheels.

It actually baffles me how much people are willing to pay for OEM Tesla wheels when there are much better aftermarket options out there that are lighter and stronger for less money sometimes. I have a hunch this is due to a lot of Tesla owners not being versed with the aftermarket offerings, as this is the first car that they actually gave a rats ass about haha.

With that being said, I do like some of the OEM designs. i.e Zero-G referral wheels.
Yeah, it's unreal what the used Tesla OEM wheel prices are on the 3 and Y. I bought my 20x9 Forgestar CF10 for $850/set (normally $1200-1600/set so I got a good deal). They weigh 24.5 lbs, lighter than all the various Y wheels.

I'm always browsing other car forums and looking at wheels for sale. I pretty much ignore everything on the Tesla forum because everything is overpriced.

Reactions: MODEL+
Anyone checked the roundness / runout on the 20” überturbine ?
My M3P was vibrating quite much on delivery on the 20” überturbine. Only drove slow about 10 miles(16km) to change for winter tyres.
Had vibrations and just checked the wheels on a balancing machine. Three out of four isnt that round (”anymore”, maybe the people that drove for the ship to europe loading on/off the ship drove it like it was stolen).
Worst wheel hass about 2.5mm runout (not round wheel on inside). Balancing machine says ”add 25 gram on inside and 35g on outside”.
Two is about 1-1.5mm, with about 10+15g om weight needed, and one is ok(both OK roundness and balance).

I know regular brands use to have 0.3mm rounout limit (when checking used rims!) so that one is bent.

I have about 1000km/600 miles to the nearest service center so it would be nice to hear others experience before dragging the überturbines halv way round the globe.

Anyone checked the roundness / runout on the 20” überturbine ?
My M3P was vibrating quite much on delivery on the 20” überturbine. Only drove slow about 10 miles(16km) to change for winter tyres.
Had vibrations and just checked the wheels on a balancing machine. Three out of four isnt that round (”anymore”, maybe the people that drove for the ship to europe loading on/off the ship drove it like it was stolen).
Worst wheel hass about 2.5mm runout (not round wheel on inside). Balancing machine says ”add 25 gram on inside and 35g on outside”.
Two is about 1-1.5mm, with about 10+15g om weight needed, and one is ok(both OK roundness and balance).

I know regular brands use to have 0.3mm rounout limit (when checking used rims!) so that one is bent.

I have about 1000km/600 miles to the nearest service center so it would be nice to hear others experience before dragging the überturbines halv way round the globe.

60 grams isn't a terribly high amount. A 2.5mm runoff is pretty bad though, not sure what tesla allows for tolerance. When I got my aftermarket 18"s I had them checked and iirc the worst one was only 0.2mm

60 grams isn't a terribly high amount. A 2.5mm runoff is pretty bad though, not sure what tesla allows for tolerance. When I got my aftermarket 18"s I had them checked and iirc the worst one was only 0.2mm

Well I was not clear enough in my post. I’ll try again :)

The 60g unbalance was exactly as delivered on the vehicle. Still with factory balance weights on.
60g unbalance and 2.5mm runout is very noticable when drining and probably causes premature bearing failures.

I my world, worked as a youngster as a tire guy one summer, and always have had tire shop tire balancing equipment available, more than 5g unbalance is not OK, as it probably is noticed on board as small vibrations.
I always do fine balancing on my own wheels untill the machine says 00 / 00.
And I always check rims for runout as zero runout is a good sign of the wheel being correctly centered on the balaning machine.
Newer ever saw new rims with appearent runout.

The 25 / 35 g extra needed probably comes from the rim being bent after the factory balancing as a result of unacceptable runout. :(
My guess is that the only rim not noticable bent is the one with good balance( 00/02g) and the other three is showing need for rebalancing is somehow bent( got clear and visible runout) after factory balancing. I guess somebody drove it to fast on non smooth surface. The other option is that Tesla maked very bad rims with high factory runout and also dont know how to properly balance wheels, which I very much hopes isnt the case.

Due to this issue it would be nice to know how round other überturbine rims generally is as new. Is Tesla a very bad rim producer or is Tesla as good as other car manufacturers.

With knowledge my contact with Tesla will be much easier. ;)

Last edited:
Well I was not clear enough in my post. I’ll try again :)

The 60g unbalance was exactly as delivered on the vehicle. Still with factory balance weights on.
60g unbalance and 2.5mm runout is very noticable when drining and probably causes premature bearing failures.

I my world, worked as a youngster as a tire guy one summer, and always have had tire shop tire balancing equipment available, more than 5g unbalance is not OK, as it probably is noticed on board as small vibrations.
I always do fine balancing on my own wheels untill the machine says 00 / 00.
And I always check rims for runout as zero runout is a good sign of the wheel being correctly centered on the balaning machine.
Newer ever saw new rims with appearent runout.

The 25 / 35 g extra needed probably comes from the rim being bent after the factory balancing as a result of unacceptable runout. :(
My guess is that the only rim not noticable bent is the one with good balance( 00/02g) and the other three is showing need for rebalancing is somehow bent( got clear and visible runout) after factory balancing. I guess somebody drove it to fast on non smooth surface. The other option is that Tesla maked very bad rims with high factory runout and also dont know how to properly balance wheels, which I very much hopes isnt the case.

Due to this issue it would be nice to know how round other überturbine rims generally is as new. Is Tesla a very bad rim producer or is Tesla as good as other car manufacturers.

With knowledge my contact with Tesla will be much easier. ;)

Oh shoot, it was a couple ounces off while the weights were installed. Yeah that's a terrible job. Wonder with it being out of round if it was what you believe and someone smacked an obstacle driving it around?

But tesla has been known to go light on the QC quality before as well though.

But tesla has been known to go light on the QC quality before as well though.

Yes, I have a lot for them to fix after delivery on my M3P :(

Besides wheels not being ok, the steering wheel is sbout 2.9-3 degrees to the right when driving straight ahead and theres damage underneith on the plastic part both sides of the battery under the doors. One starts to wonder if there is a connection between damaged wheels - turning wheel -damage underneith.
I hope the wheel alignment is ok, otherwise my brand new winter tyres might get assymetric worn.

Yes, I have a lot for them to fix after delivery on my M3P :(

Besides wheels not being ok, the steering wheel is sbout 2.9-3 degrees to the right when driving straight ahead and theres damage underneith on the plastic part both sides of the battery under the doors. One starts to wonder if there is a connection between damaged wheels - turning wheel -damage underneith.
I hope the wheel alignment is ok, otherwise my brand new winter tyres might get assymetric worn.

Damn man wheels messed up, steering off and possible damage underneath, I think you already know what's happened at this point.