Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid - Here we go again! SSDD and tires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Dameon
Quick note: Received the shim package last night.

This is definitely $250 in R&D and $25 in material and labor. Not sure why it's stamped "Palladium". At $1K+ an ounce, I don't think there's any palladium here. Appears to be aluminum, but I didn't test it.

Tesla Rear Shims.jpg

The company did an excellent job of tracking my order from placed to delivered... 5 emails in total.

Install this week. Notes to follow.

Not sure why it's stamped "Palladium". At $1K+ an ounce, I don't think there's any palladium here. Appears to be aluminum, but I didn't test it.

Irony, or iron-y or maybe alumin-ony ( :) ) doesnt show well without smileys, so I could’nt determine if you did’nt know: (probably you know, and I’m kicki’nnin open doors)

Palladium is the name of the Model S refresh.

• Funny
Irony, or iron-y or maybe alumin-ony ( :) ) doesnt show well without smileys, so I could’nt determine if you did’nt know: (probably you know, and I’m kicki’nnin open doors)

Palladium is the name of the Model S refresh.
Ah! I did know that, but didn't associate the two.

Also didn't remember reading this on their website...

1697568053068.png

Memory is the first thing to go... at least that's what I remember reading.

Reactions: soulsea
Ok so just to confirm before I order ... these will work on the 23 MSP?

And I guess the fronts aren't an issue with tire wear?
They state 2021+, so I would assume so. To be honest, I don't know why a couple of fender washers wouldn't perform the same function as the shim. I haven't installed my shims yet, so I'm not sure of the significance of the holes/mounts being tied together. Or if this shim replaces any existing component.

Yes, I haven't seen, or heard, of any issues with front tires.

Reactions: soulsea
They state 2021+, so I would assume so. To be honest, I don't know why a couple of fender washers wouldn't perform the same function as the shim. I haven't installed my shims yet, so I'm not sure of the significance of the holes/mounts being tied together. Or if this shim replaces any existing component.

Yes, I haven't seen, or heard, of any issues with front tires.
Yeah, I saw someone do the same thing with a few washers.

Tire pressure has a massive effect on wear that most people just ignore.

I'd be willing to bet that most people who are having issues with fast PS4S wear on the current gen (21+) Model S's don't watch their pressures. I'd further bet we're going to see a lot of these now, as the temperatures are falling, and tire pressures fall with it!

The TPMS amber dashlight monitor (on any car) protects against "unsafe" tire conditions, NOT optimal conditions! By the time the warning light is set, your pressure is very low compared to nominal. I think it's around 32 or 36, but never tried... But it's extremely easy to see your actual tire pressures through the center display, or even the app. I just think most people don't care.

If you want decent life out of your 21" PS4S's, keep them at 40, always! With correct pressure, and of course correct camber AND TOE (the other thing nobody talks about), I'm expecting even wear and to hit warranty-mileage easily.

I guess time will tell...

Tire pressure has a massive effect on wear that most people just ignore.

I'd be willing to bet that most people who are having issues with fast PS4S wear on the current gen (21+) Model S's don't watch their pressures. I'd further bet we're going to see a lot of these now, as the temperatures are falling, and tire pressures fall with it!

The TPMS amber dashlight monitor (on any car) protects against "unsafe" tire conditions, NOT optimal conditions! By the time the warning light is set, your pressure is very low compared to nominal. I think it's around 32 or 36, but never tried... But it's extremely easy to see your actual tire pressures through the center display, or even the app. I just think most people don't care.

If you want decent life out of your 21" PS4S's, keep them at 40, always! With correct pressure, and of course correct camber AND TOE (the other thing nobody talks about), I'm expecting even wear and to hit warranty-mileage easily.

I guess time will tell...
I always kept mine above 40 psi, closer to 44 psi. I had multiple alignments and my rears still fell apart at 16k miles. I did not have any aftermarket alignment parts, so that suggests excessive negative camber is to blame.

Reactions: btec116
I always kept mine above 40 psi, closer to 44 psi. I had multiple alignments and my rears still fell apart at 16k miles. I did not have any aftermarket alignment parts, so that suggests excessive negative camber is to blame.
Then admittedly that's a worry...
Camber, toe, tire pressure, if those three things are in spec, you should not have an issue.

Are you watching the alignment results? The limits can be... liberal... Also Maybe there's a dynamic effect going on - Any chance of a worn bush or something? It would be strange at 14k though... Just suggestions, but agreed your case seems worse. Bummer.

I'm expecting even wear and to hit warranty-mileage easily.
If you are running the factory set up and Tesla's alignment, go ahead and forget about the 'even wear' thing 🤣

Since you're in Vegas, message me when your tires are ruined after using the "proper inflation" and I'll connect you to the best shop in town for installing a set of arms and alignments.

Then admittedly that's a worry...
Camber, toe, tire pressure, if those three things are in spec, you should not have an issue.

Are you watching the alignment results? The limits can be... liberal... Also Maybe there's a dynamic effect going on - Any chance of a worn bush or something? It would be strange at 14k though... Just suggestions, but agreed your case seems worse. Bummer.

I'm between -1.0 and -1.76 degrees of camber in the rear at medium height, depending on which alignment I look at. Tesla did it three times. I imagine that's too much, especially when the car drops to low.

If you are running the factory set up and Tesla's alignment, go ahead and forget about the 'even wear' thing 🤣

Since you're in Vegas, message me when your tires are ruined after using the "proper inflation" and I'll connect you to the best shop in town for installing a set of arms and alignments.
😅 Thanks, I'll remember that when the time comes!

Tesla's alignment specs suck. The inner edge wear issue is not a new problem, it has been happening on Model Ss for more than a decade.

Fix the wear issue with adjustable camber arms or washers. If the issue is still there then add adjustable toe arms.

Last edited:
more pressure makes the problem worse, not better because it stiffens the corner that the scrub is occurring on.

no clue who started the 'use higher psi' thing because it's absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Have you seen the wear pattern of a tire that has been under inflated? The outer edges are worn out faster than the center. Underinflation causes the sidewalls to carry more weight of the vehicle than the centers. That is going to exacerbate the inner edge wear problem.

Higher pressure causes the center of the tire to support the vehicle more, reducing the wear on the outer edges.

tire inflation.jpeg

Last edited: