Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. A few days ago there were dozens available nationwide, and at least five each in LA, Phoenix and the Bay Area. Now they are all gone but one in the Bay Area. I wonder if that was a one time thing or if more will appear shortly? In the meantime, I’m hanging with an EDD of 9/10-9/30 for my LR for the past ten days.
We got 3 in the Bay Are lookup Zip 94402 one Plaid in white/black with 19s.

I don't know if anyone posted this already - I have a pocket theory that the available Plaids were aspirational buyers who couldn't really qualify/afford them, or folks who got p'd waiting so long, etc.
I presume there's less of this with the LR because of the price difference, that the LR folks can maybe better afford the LR's (though it's still flirting with $100k for a car).
I also wonder if folks plunked down their $100 deposits for multiple Plaids to see which was ready first with the intention of only taking one.
Again, these are theories.
Last theory, which I believe is true, is that Tesla builds in bulk and NOT to order, so maybe they just produced more Plaids because higher profit margins.
If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it - thanks!
They are definitely producing more Plaids VS LRs. Some Plaid customers could have simply canceled due to the long wait therefore available to buy now.

• Informative
Reactions: MEL-22
But in this case, why not match to other customers who have identical active orders? Wouldn't that be the sane thing to do?
Not saying this is happening, but if they can sell it for $10k more, why wouldn't they do try it? There's also the logistics element; a customer who denied a Plaid in NJ requires logistics/transport and additional $$$ to move that to an AZ reservation holder.

What's interesting to me is how quickly these get snatched up. Two days ago I saw 58 Plaid available; right now they're down to 9 across the country. So there is demand for them, probably at the higher price...

Not saying this is happening, but if they can sell it for $10k more, why wouldn't they do try it? There's also the logistics element; a customer who denied a Plaid in NJ requires logistics/transport and additional $$$ to move that to an AZ reservation holder.

What's interesting to me is how quickly these get snatched up. Two days ago I saw 58 Plaid available; right now they're down to 9 across the country. So there is demand for them, probably at the higher price...
That also killed one of my pocket theories - that they overproduced Plaids. if that was the case, the available Plaids would remain stable or increase, versus get scooped up.
They really should try to match an orphaned Plaid with the next customer down the list at the very least from that SC or if not region - otherwise I can only imagine the logistics, and trucking fee to move it around.
If they did offer the match and if flopped, then I see putting it on the classifieds.
But those are my theories, I don't work for Tesla, so sometimes I actually make sense. Just not today 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja

Scalpers! I saw someone who recently bought Plaid couple months back for $135k asking for 165k in our local gp. Someone was offering 155k

You’re in Cali, so I’m guessing you’re higher on the pecking order.

Irony is, if it shows in the new range, I’ll be on vacation in Cali, and WON’T be able to pick it up.
Nope. Being local is actually a hindrance except for EOQ. My EDDs have always been EOQ, even if those deadlines weren’t met. First March. Then next was June. Now my EDD is 9/10-9/30. My prior MS was delivered at EOQ on March 28. And I’ve seen my exact configuration but out of state deliveries with earlier EDDs than mine. I’m in LA but my prior MS was factory direct as is this one. I’ve been told by an SA (cue the groans) and my experience has been they hold those orders for the EOQ rush since there’s no transport delays. That also fits in nicely with Tesla’s “screw the customer” mentality. As always, being cynical usually means you aren’t cynical enough with these guys.

Reactions: Leojsayta
Nope. Being local is actually a hindrance except for EOQ. My EDDs have always been EOQ, even if those deadlines weren’t met. First March. Then next was June. Now my EDD is 9/10-9/30. My prior MS was delivered at EOQ on March 28. And I’ve seen my exact configuration but out of state deliveries with earlier EDDs than mine. I’m in LA but my prior MS was factory direct as is this one. I’ve been told by an SA (cue the groans) and my experience has been they hold those orders for the EOQ rush since there’s no transport delays. That also fits in nicely with Tesla’s “screw the customer” mentality. As always, being cynical usually means you aren’t cynical enough with these guys.
9/18-9/30 is EOQ, which is … exactly what we’re both saying?

The Cali order gets the EOQ timeline while the NJ order gets delayed

That’s not the point I was trying to make. There are cars of the same config being delivered now a month before EOQ out of state that were ordered after Cali orders that will wait until closer to the EOQ deadline. Some cars, like Plaids, won’t fall under that scenario as they don’t have enough orders to delay Cali to EOQ. But for us LR buyers, a certain config produced today will go out of state before Cali as they have a couple weeks less transport time to deliver locally.

OK. Enough. I'm on with HQ right now to get the latest info. Will report back. Stand by.
MP.gif

Not yet. I had stopped in at the local Tesla store last Friday (8/20) to ask about using a cashier’s check (which they said was fine) and the $2,000 “discount” for ordering before the refresh (noted in our order, but not yet applied), and they said they’d contact us once the car arrived. They did not specify how they’d contact us, but they were expecting to get the car on September 1st and said that it usually takes about 48 hours to get it cleaned up and checked over before delivery.
You'll love this. Reached out to my SA that I have been talking to since January...he is gone. Called the local service center and was told my car is built and on a train to Chicago. It will be trucked from Chicago to St Louis on Tuesday August 31 and we set up a tentative delivery for Thursday September 2 directly to my house. Very exciting. Confirmed my $2,000 credit as well. Then I refreshed my account and it says my delivery is scheduled for this morning at 10:00am (2 hours ago...WTF) at the service center??? More to come.

I started a new thread but basically asked, am I better off waiting until say, February (versus December/January) for a 2022 model. Which might be the exact same as one built on December 31, 2021....but maybe would have higher resale value. Should affect the lease residual, but I think my lease terms are locked in, so deciding if makes sense to buy and sell in a few years for a nearly free Tesla as they hold their value.
I've heard from different people that Tesla refreshes/updates the year model in the last quarter (after October). So, if your car is built after Oct 2021, your model will be a 2022 model. Purely anecdotal evidence but I've definitely seen others comment about this on this forum.

I've heard from different people that Tesla refreshes/updates the year model in the last quarter (after October). So, if your car is built after Oct 2021, your model will be a 2022 model. Purely anecdotal evidence but I've definitely seen others comment about this on this forum.
Since Tesla doesn't let you order cars by model year (at least I don't think they do), trying to time your delivery and take it in February as opposed to October to December regardless of when the model year clock switches is still a crap shoot. People on this forum are taking delivery now of cars built in June.

Also, all the Model S' that piled up in the misfit lot in Freemont before Model S deliveries started are apparently still there (thanks Gabe) and who knows if Tesla will ever dust those off and start delivering them to customers. Admittedly, your odds of getting a 2022 are higher the later you wait but I am impatient and can't wait. I'd take a June car from the misfit lot if I could get it today.

Man that's annoying. REALLY f*cking annoying.

Thing is I'd have to call central dispatch to see if they would change my order to an inventory car at the same price point I ordered
at. Not sure if they'd do that. I'd tried to get an answer from my "SA" but he's as useless as 2 tits on a bull. Crickets.
I was informed they have had some luck doing - matching an inventory to your RN and giving you the lower price. But it is not 100% each time. So probably depends on the manager and how hard your SA pushes.

I don't know if anyone posted this already - I have a pocket theory that the available Plaids were aspirational buyers who couldn't really qualify/afford them, or folks who got p'd waiting so long, etc.
There is some truth to this. Friend got their Plaid because someone got fed up of waiting and bought a Performance Model Y. Not in the same category in my opinion, but whatever works for them.