Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P vs 2022 differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some searching, but could not locate a thread anywhere in the difference in these years. I know radar was phased out in 2021 is there any other big difference is I should look for in shopping these two years?

This is true, but I dont think all 2022s have the new Ryzen chip. I think its true that no 2021s have it, but I dont think its true that all 2022s will have the ryzen chip.

For OP, this is a new processor chip for the computer that controls the screen. There is a lot of discussion about ryzen chip here, but that is the main change I can think of.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
@1flossedm3 From what I saw on these forums, MCU3 (Ryzen) + Li-Ion low voltage battery were phased in somewhat gradually, with a mix of MCU2 and MCU3 coming out of Fremont for a while before MCU2 finally tailed off entirely.

You really need to check, build date does not guarantee anything.

Another, smaller difference: I believe zero, or nearly zero, model gear 2022 cars came with data connection to the front USB-C ports. It can be retrofitted, though Tesla software will still make some assumptions as though those ports are wired only.

At some point in 2022 Tesla stopped saying the M3P comes with "lowered" suspension. This doesn't mean it definitely won't but they stopped promising it. But the lower suspension from 2021 was hardly any different than regular 2021 M3LR AWD suspension, so if you don't get it you're really not missing out. (It was slightly lower but not a lot, and had no meaningful performance difference. I say this from firsthand experience.)

MCU3 is the big change for sure and a very nice upgrade from what I've seen. It doesn't change anything about the driving experience but does look easily faster and nice as infotainment goes. (My 2021 just has MCU2, honestly it's totally fine, but MCU3 is clearly an improvement.)

Another, smaller difference: I believe zero, or nearly zero, model gear 2022 cars came with data connection to the front USB-C ports. It can be retrofitted, though Tesla software will still make some assumptions as though those ports are wired only.
The only major difference software wise as far as I’m aware was the missing games which require a controller. As of 2022.28, that’s no longer an issue (the release notes will say the glove box usb has to be used, but a controller works fine with the retrofitted data hub)

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2