Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice commands no more reliable than before. Here is a video of what my car has done for quite a while and still does with 2020.8.1

I didn't know you could send the bug report like that until I read your post the other day. There is a street around our mall here that is 40mph and the car says it's 45 on the dash. (My wife pushed it 5mph and actually got a ticket last month thanks to it, smh) I tried yesterday to send the bug report and it turned the fan up just like yours did.

Reactions: boonedocks
Voice commands no more reliable than before. Here is a video of what my car has done for quite a while and still does with 2020.8.1

What intrigues me is that clearly part of the system has performed perfectly and converted voice to text correctly. Then some subsequent process has presumably tried to match the text to a known command, and failed miserably.

The performance of voice recognition seems to have two very distinct components at least, one being vehicle based and the other cloud based. Software updates are likely to address the vehicle end such as 'hold' button vs 'push release talk' vs 'push to start push to stop'
while many issues especially initially seemed to relate to internet connectivity and back end server performance.

With all these different factors possible contributing to problems, it is often not easy to identify exact reasons for specific user issues.

Got the 2020.8.1 update for 2018 75D last night. Ironically the voice command button on the steering wheel does absolutely nothing now. No beep. No microphone icon on the IC. It’s as if the button is not pressed at all. I have tried a few reboots but that did not help. I guess I will have to wait for the next update to have this fixed.

Just installed the 2020.8.1 last night on my 2019 MS Raven LR.

I noticed in the Release Notes, it said the Regenerative Braking now increases how much energy is actively returned to the battery.

Would it contribute to the higher (est.) range?

Regenerative Braking

Regenerative braking force has been increased to improve the driving experience and increase how much energy is actively returned to the battery when slowing down.

Just installed the 2020.8.1 last night on my 2019 MS Raven LR.

I noticed in the Release Notes, it said the Regenerative Braking now increases how much energy is actively returned to the battery.

Would it contribute to the higher (est.) range?

I wondered the same (on same model)

It could contribute, but in my tests the car now turns on the battery heater for a while as you first drive if battery cold which of course increases regeneration under those conditions.

In some cases that might help increase range, in others it might use more energy heating the battery for no significant benefit.

Voice control still sucks.

“call Jenkins jewelry in Dallas” = “calling joe Harrison”

Once again, never using it again until another release says it’s fixed and we’ll try again.

I love Tesla, but this is exactly what Lexus is referring to in their “don’t settle” ad. Basic stuff like this really should just work.

Its a good thing these engineers aren't responsible for anything that our lives depends upon, like full self driving. Oh wait! :rolleyes:

you do realize that many controller systems are developed by different groups, sit on different CAN/LIN/Eth busses, have various kinds of safeguards on the stuff that drives vs the stuff that is infotainment and non-safety based QM bodycontrols?

its why we can get black-screens and still the car drives 'fine'.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
hmmm, interesting.

when I call jenkins, all I get is a new build number and email when its done.

I wonder if there are two distinct components. Voice to text and then text to car-relevant and context relevant command.

The first part is working pretty well for me as long as there is reasonable internet connectivity. The second stage seems very variable.

I was hoping 2020.8.1 would offer "improved regen" for my 2016 S but it doesn't. It's only improved voice commands and change when Bluetooth is engaged. I'd like to see the S slow all the way down to a stop - blending mechanical breaks under 8 mph as needed. Having to touch the break, just slightly, at each red light is _sooooo_ annoying (j/k!)

Seriously? I hated regen braking when test driving the S! I turned it off immediately.

But with MS Raven one pedal, once to come to a stop, the brakes are applied automatically until you pull away. That's why it caught me by surprise when the MX 2017 didn't. Can't see why earlier cars can't apply brake as they come to a stop.

Because the Raven does not apply its brakes but uses the permanent magnet motor for braking which non-Raven models do not have.

Because the Raven does not apply its brakes but uses the permanent magnet motor for braking which non-Raven models do not have.

Are you suggesting that Raven era cars do not apply brakes to hold vehicle when stationary?

At first, that was my understanding, but having driven my Raven several thousand miles, I believe it does still apply the friction brakes.

I think the difference is that the induction motors cease generating (and hence 're-generating / braking) at higher rpm than pm motors. So the pm motors can low car down to pretty well zero before brakes apply.

I can't imagine it would make sense energizing the field coils of the pm motors just to act as brakes when there is the much easier and low energy option of applying the brakes.

That is why, having recently drive the induction motor'd MX and seen just how much that configuration still slows the car, I wondered why not just blend in the friction brake as the car stops moving.