Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.1 - California Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like some of this is hysteria. The most common reports of false ELDA activations are with those colored narrow bike lanes in certain European countries.
I don't think it's appropriate to dismiss this as hysteria or "narrow bike lanes in certain European countries". There's way too many reports of incidents (and they keep coming in that thread) where there's no good reason for the ELDA to act as it did and in such a way that it could cause a serious accident. And it's great that you haven't had issues yet, but I'm not going to take the chance on the narrow windy roads I frequent that it does something stupid like react to a mailbox and throw me towards oncoming traffic. It only takes one instance.

I don't think it's appropriate to dismiss this as hysteria or "narrow bike lanes in certain European countries". There's way too many reports of incidents (and they keep coming in that thread) where there's no good reason for the ELDA to act as it did and in such a way that it could cause a serious accident. And it's great that you haven't had issues yet, but I'm not going to take the chance on the narrow windy roads I frequent that it does something stupid like react to a mailbox and throw me towards oncoming traffic. It only takes one instance.
I said some of this is hysteria and most of the reports are the European case... not that everyone is being psycho Facebook mom....

It’s also a nebulous argument, by the same logic, that it only takes one person saved by ELDA to justify updating to the new software.

All I’m saying is consider both sides when evaluating whether or not to update. A few hundred posts about a car with hundreds of thousands of owners doesn’t mean everyone is seeing this as a problem.

So it must be hysteria since you personally have only experienced one incorrect activation? I can assure you, it's not hysteria to those of us who have to deal with constant false positives from this "feature" that we cannot opt out of permanently. Maybe your opinion would be different if you got multiple false warnings on your daily commute necessitating disabling ELDA every single time you start driving or risk being pushed too close to an opposite travel lane with oncoming traffic.

I said it in another thread already: this is just like the damn phone key thing again where people who aren't having a problem are discounting the experiences of those who are.

I haven't experienced this yet, but since you do pretty regularly and you're local, can you show where it happens? I want to try it out.

So I’ve been driving around Lake Tahoe this weekend and was able to do the same routes with 2019.16.2 and 2019.20.1. I’m seeing major improvements to autosteer performance with questionable lane lines. There’s many areas here where there’s just a thin center divider line, faded, and no lane lines on the right side at all. 2019.16.2 would freak out occasionally — either beep at me, start wobbling the wheel aggressively, or even dart towards the edge of the road when it sees a lighter colored curb or tire track near the right edge.

2019.20.1 holds solid in all of these situations. I can do a lap around the lake on NV-28 with zero takeovers and zero rumble strips.

Interestingly it does seem to disable auto lane change on some of the roads in this area that it used to allow it. Hard to tell if it’s by GPS or by the terrain — the roads where it disallowed lane changes were curvy and mountainous.

Reactions: Zorg
I was worried about the multiple-lane-splitting offramps when I read about the problems others were having, but since i'ave received the update I haven't had any issues with them. I realized that is probably because I am one of those nutjobs who signals which direction I'm going on the multi-lane split, and since the feature does not activate when the turn signal is engaged, I will be unlikely to ever experience the problem unless I intentionally avoid signaling in an attempt to activate it. I hadn't thought about the motorcycles passing, but that is good to know; I'll try to remember to signal for that, too.

We were on a short road trip the weekend before I got the update, and I made the mistake of letting my husband drive. Sitting in the passenger seat with my mirror hanging into the next lane for 150 miles about drove me crazy. I commented on his choice of lane position twice, then let it go unless he was on the botts dots, at which point I would say "whumpetta, whumpetta, whumpetta". Maybe if the car had corrected his positioning a few times, he would have gotten the message and it would have been a more relaxing trip for both of us.

Reactions: BrandonLive
I got it, and it says when dog mode is activated you will receive push notifications on your phone every 30 mins after your battery has dipped below 20%. (I'm not sure if that's new just reporting what popped up in release notes)

I assume this means that dog mode will continue to stay on even after 20% battery is reached. There's also a warning that asks you to check local laws to see if keeping animals in the car is permitted.

I was worried about the multiple-lane-splitting offramps when I read about the problems others were having, but since i'ave received the update I haven't had any issues with them. I realized that is probably because I am one of those nutjobs who signals which direction I'm going on the multi-lane split, and since the feature does not activate when the turn signal is engaged, I will be unlikely to ever experience the problem unless I intentionally avoid signaling in an attempt to activate it. I hadn't thought about the motorcycles passing, but that is good to know; I'll try to remember to signal for that, too.
If you’re referring to the Emergency Lane Departure feature which can unexpectedly make steering corrections, signaling or not is not really the issue. As various folks have pointed out, it can react to static objects on the side of a rural road (like cactus or a mailbox) – sending you over the double-yellow line even with oncoming traffic (as reported by some in that thread) – or it can react to something it sees in the road like a painted arrow. In other words, not situations where you would signal or expect your car to react.

It’s the description of situations like this and the fact that you have to turn it off again every time you go to drive that keep me from upgrading until these issues are addressed. At least with Autopilot I get to decide when to use it and am actively aware and watching what it is doing. The occasional phantom braking was the biggest issue for me and I learned to disable Autopilot when I had picked up following traffic. (For example, it can sometimes freak out when in a curvy multiple lane freeway like I-80 going over the Sierra alongside semi-trucks.)

Unfortunately, the ELDA feature can take you by surprise since it both turns itself on and is essentially quietly watching for many hundreds of miles before suddenly jumping in an inopportune moment. Obviously we already have to watch for surprises from other drivers and events, but I don’t want to also have to worry about a dangerous intervention from my own car. It needs to perform much better than the false positives we’re currently seeing reported or be disabled by default and only enabled when and by those who want to help test/refine it. (Much like some of the other Autopilot features.)

I feel like some of this is hysteria. The most common reports of false ELDA activations are with those colored narrow bike lanes in certain European countries.

We have driven about 2500 Californian and Nevada miles with .16.2 and seen one ELDA activation and that’s when I was manually driving and accidentally veered extremely close to a guardrail.
I hate this feature. Used it for 2 weeks and I get red warning signs 2-5 times per drive. Tesla must think I truly suck at driving. Mind you 22 yrs of driving I’ve gotten 2 speeding tickets and one accident (back when I was 21). Knock on wood. I hate it!!

It overreacted on things that apppear to be a none issue. Like today it freaked out when I was making a right turn on the on ramp. Nothing was there but a curb!

So I’ve been driving around Lake Tahoe this weekend and was able to do the same routes with 2019.16.2 and 2019.20.1. I’m seeing major improvements to autosteer performance with questionable lane lines. There’s many areas here where there’s just a thin center divider line, faded, and no lane lines on the right side at all. 2019.16.2 would freak out occasionally — either beep at me, start wobbling the wheel aggressively, or even dart towards the edge of the road when it sees a lighter colored curb or tire track near the right edge.

2019.20.1 holds solid in all of these situations. I can do a lap around the lake on NV-28 with zero takeovers and zero rumble strips.

Interestingly it does seem to disable auto lane change on some of the roads in this area that it used to allow it. Hard to tell if it’s by GPS or by the terrain — the roads where it disallowed lane changes were curvy and mountainous.

Kudos to you being willing to use AP around the Lake. That’s never seemed like a good idea especially with the number of cyclists too.

Kudos to you being willing to use AP around the Lake. That’s never seemed like a good idea especially with the number of cyclists too.
Fortunately it’s too cold right now for cyclists. But I’ve never had much of an issue testing out Autopilot wherever. The need to pay attention and proactively take over when approaching risky situations is the same on just about any road.

Reactions: Lhshockey24
try taking an exit that splits into multiple lanes, which is common. I've had ELDA freak out multiple times - beeps at you, and attempts to correct you if you go into a lane that it doesnt like. I live in california

Also, if you move over for lane splitting motorcycles in California and accidentally go too much over the lane, it will likely push you back into the lane quickly which could potentially hit or startle the motorcyclist and cause an accident.

Both Emergency Lane features are too buggy to be considered safety features. The buggiest one cant even be disabled permenantly.

This has been my experience as well... "my" exit from the Freeway splits into 3 lanes, I have to turn left, so I always stay to the left and every day since the update it beeps and tries to force me into the center until the lane lines get established.