Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 LR RWD glovebox LED/light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird thing that we never noticed. The light in the glove box doesn't actually turn on. How did we discover this? We had the glovebox replaced because the right side latch stopped working and the glove box would sag and could be forced open. When they replaced it (not cheap, ~$400 including labor), we discovered the LED inside doesn't work. The mobile tech noticed the replacement glove box, which includes the entire housing and not just the door, came with the USB port that our year didn't have. He even tried replacing the LED with a different one and it still didn't work.

Just wondering if others have a 2018 LR RWD and can confirm their glovebox light comes on. If so, I may have to bring it into the service center to see if they will troubleshoot it. We just don't recall if the old glovebox ever had a working light inside.

Does your cabin speaker work? If not, this was a common issue with the legacy (not vintage) 2017-2018 Model 3s... where the factory would either fail to connect the glovebox light and cabin speaker harness wires and plugs:

a. completely (either one or both wires could be unplugged)
b. incorrectly (plugging the speaker wire into the light connector and the light into the speaker connector)
c. loosely (either wire could be plugged in too loosely into its respective connector

Drop the panel under the glovebox as if you were about to replace the cabin air filters and check, careful not to break the connectors - especially the speaker one is particularly fragile.

I actually watched the tech make sure the glovebox light was plugged in.

I also noticed a sensor plug near the slow opening mechanism didn’t have a wire to it. There didn’t seem to be a wire to connect to it if there was one. Is it possible the light isn’t turning on because this sensor is not connected?

It is and its also possible the wrong wire is plugged in... hence the need to check the wiring harness and possibly reverse whats plugged in now.

The factory and SC techs both make this mistake on these vintage cars... the newer models have the connectors and wiring harness revised so as to avoid mistakes.

Reactions: blulegend