Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly (as per AustinEV's post): as I wrote elsewhere, if you're hauling X kg Y km you'll use # cells; if you're hauling 2X kg 3X km you'll use a # commensurate with that AND the spacing of swap sites. Never have to incur the inefficiency of hauling more weight of batteries than some minimum.

Reactions: erthquake
What are the three biggest costs for hauling freight in trucks?
#1 Fuel - If you're charging instead of filling with diesel, you're saving money. But more on this later.
#2 Equipment - Purchase and maintenance. Maintenance will be reduced dramatically with an EV drivetrain
#3 Drivers - Your drivers want to go as fast as legally possible, as they get paid per mile. Incidentally you do as well. Cut out the driver costs, and you save on what you pay them per mile... but you also save....
Driving a slower speed, you're burning less fuel. Most customers care about cost instead of a couple of hours early/late. This lessens the electricity consumed. If you have charging stations every X miles which would be calculated as to the number of miles one of these trucks can go on a 250kWh battery, you're working out those logistics.
Since the truck will (eventually) not have a driver, we don't care that it takes 4 hours to charge. It simply starts back up when it's done.
Now we're going to reference #1, if we're really not concerned about speed, we can go to the next spot and sit until the evening to charge when it's cheap... or automated battery swap where batteries are charged on off-peak hours.

The main thing is, when you have automated trucks, you don't have drivers that need resting, so they could travel and charge 24/7 no issue. Fleets with predetermined routes, such as retailers like WALMART, TARGET, etc can easily recoup the extra capital outlay for the new EV rigs versus the diesel rigs in a short order, versus one-off carriers. Tesla needs to market hard to these companies where they know they're going to have X number of trucks traveling a certain route on a predictable pattern/rate because then it's really easy to plan out where to put those charging and/or battery swap stations.

Short answer, yes. There are some companies already doing BEV trucks for short duty cycles. BYD and Daimler (Germany) have started this. The true test will be line and long haul applications. Nikola Motor is making a go at it by specifically targeting owner-operators. It's smart if you want to build brand loyalty. The fleets aren't loyal to a particular brand. They like to shop around. Their H2 infrastructure is the major hurdle.

Was talking to a buddy of mine about the Tesla semi (also in the trucking industry). We think the Tesla semi will not have a cab. Lots of dead weight in the cab if think about it. It's basically going to be an autonomous trailer. We'll see. There's a TON of money in the business and on highway trucks account for a significant portion of transportation generated CO2.

Edit: Here's some info to see how much money there is in the business.
https://www.daimler.com/documents/company/business-units/daimler-trucks-ataglance-2016-en.pdf
Oh, truck expert. What about designing containers with built-in batteries? When off-loaded, batteries are recharged as the product is unloaded. Just spit ballin. Trucks continuously on the move, pick up new containers, pick up new batteries. Containers sized and rated for "x" miles at full weight.

May 3rd seems to be early-on time and not late, suggesting a good earnings report.

Plus... Why did Elon announce the September semi-truck reveal today? If the 1Q ER were bad, wouldn't he save that good news for the ER or for damage control shortly thereafter? Good news announced today has the net effect of giving TSLA a shot at trading in the 300s at the time the ER takes place. The combination of 300-something SP at the time of a good ER could be the ticket to send TSLA galloping to heights that will force many shorts to abandon their positions. Hmm.

Plus... Why did Elon announce the September semi-truck reveal today? If the 1Q ER were bad, wouldn't he save that good news for the ER or for damage control shortly thereafter? Good news announced today has the net effect of giving TSLA a shot at trading in the 300s at the time the ER takes place. The combination of 300-something SP at the time of a good ER could be the ticket to send TSLA galloping to heights that will force many shorts to abandon their positions. Hmm.

I was debating selling my options today and buying back in figuring earnings would be mid to late may and not much news in the next 3-4 weeks. Glad I didnt, the may 3 earning release made me second guess long enough to see Elon tweet. The similarities between now and Q1 2013 earnings release and tsnumai of hurt are seeming more than coincidence. Figure it's worth the risk.

What are the three biggest costs for hauling freight in trucks?
#1 Fuel - If you're charging instead of filling with diesel, you're saving money. But more on this later.
#2 Equipment - Purchase and maintenance. Maintenance will be reduced dramatically with an EV drivetrain
#3 Drivers - Your drivers want to go as fast as legally possible, as they get paid per mile. Incidentally you do as well. Cut out the driver costs, and you save on what you pay them per mile... but you also save....
Driving a slower speed, you're burning less fuel. Most customers care about cost instead of a couple of hours early/late. This lessens the electricity consumed. If you have charging stations every X miles which would be calculated as to the number of miles one of these trucks can go on a 250kWh battery, you're working out those logistics.
Since the truck will (eventually) not have a driver, we don't care that it takes 4 hours to charge. It simply starts back up when it's done.
Now we're going to reference #1, if we're really not concerned about speed, we can go to the next spot and sit until the evening to charge when it's cheap... or automated battery swap where batteries are charged on off-peak hours.

The main thing is, when you have automated trucks, you don't have drivers that need resting, so they could travel and charge 24/7 no issue. Fleets with predetermined routes, such as retailers like WALMART, TARGET, etc can easily recoup the extra capital outlay for the new EV rigs versus the diesel rigs in a short order, versus one-off carriers. Tesla needs to market hard to these companies where they know they're going to have X number of trucks traveling a certain route on a predictable pattern/rate because then it's really easy to plan out where to put those charging and/or battery swap stations.
Exactly what Anne Boleyn told me!

That is so real ! I fully expect TSLA to gap up big time after ER and make a run for $400+ in short order

I can not overemphasize the striking similarities between April 2013 and April 2017. I did not expect TSLA charts to follow the 2013 script so closely. but it is. I can't deny the obvious. I can't help but get increasingly bullish, more than I am, if that is possible.
I'll post comparison charts sometime over the weekend but suffice it to say that it is NOT looking good for the shorts. Somewhere on the not too distant horizon there is a perfect storm brewing and it's coming straight toward shortville
Shorts be scared. Be very scared

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Here's my thoughts-

One- the semi release is revolutionary and will change our economy in unimaginable ways. Distributors/retailers will not be burdened by the cost of diesel fuel, and have to raise their pricing based upon skyrocketing fuel costs and product delivery becomes faster, more effective, and cheaper. Not to mention how government econ can grow if they're wise enough to use Tesla; our delivery of mail, equipment, etc. will be enhanced 10-fold. It's like the pony express versus the freight train! We are literally seeing history in the making, at epic proportions.
The medical field can soon have electric driven paramedic vehicles to where everyone within the ambulance is able to provide patient care versus driving...

On another note- not to be a Debbie Downer, but be sure the oil lobbyist, American diesel companies, and some very powerful entities are going to fight this progression tooth and nail- oh yes "Tesla is taking hard working Americans out of business or out of a job" oil and diesel fuel are the "backbone of this country" (even though most of it doesn't even come from here anymore); whatever tripe they want to spin to try and pass rigorous limitations on these savvy, economic, and envirentmally sound innovations.
However, if people continue to stop short changing Tesla, stick with it for the long haul (no pun intended), and put their money with progress, we will see a revolutionary change truly capable of boosting our planet in the best of ways.
IBM couldn't stop Apple, and those who invested long ago are reaping the benefits; lets all do the same!

A couple very separate thoughts.
1. I think it's obvious this move will not be the same magnitude of 2013, even if it is similar. Still, even if pointless, I wanted to see what the price movements would look like with today's prices and half the magnitude. This is them, based on prices leading up to the 2013 Q1 earnings and the week after. Not bad, and I think within the range of likelier possibilities at this point:

Date - Close
3/22/2013 - 278.06
3/25/2013 - 281.47
3/26/2013 - 282.71
3/27/2013 - 283.84
3/28/2013 - 282.82
4/1/2013 - 305.47
4/2/2013 - 307.01
4/3/2013 - 294.86
4/4/2013 - 298.27
4/5/2013 - 295.87
4/8/2013 - 297.60
4/9/2013 - 292.61
4/10/2013 - 297.71
4/11/2013 - 304.20
4/12/2013 - 304.80
4/15/2013 - 303.11
4/16/2013 - 311.70
4/17/2013 - 311.18
4/18/2013 - 316.88
4/19/2013 - 320.10
4/22/2013 - 328.95
4/23/2013 - 332.02
4/24/2013 - 329.85
4/25/2013 - 335.74
4/26/2013 - 332.74
4/29/2013 - 346.76
4/30/2013 - 343.20
5/1/2013 - 340.54
5/2/2013 - 343.65
5/3/2013 - 345.30
5/6/2013 - 363.86
5/7/2013 - 348.90
5/8/2013 - 349.95
5/9/2013 - 400.99
5/10/2013 - 428.59
5/13/2013 - 469.99
5/14/2013 - 452.89
5/15/2013 - 458.89
5/16/2013 - 486.67
5/17/2013 - 483.86

I can not overemphasize the striking similarities between April 2013 and April 2017. I did not expect TSLA charts to follow the 2013 script so closely. but it is. I can't deny the obvious. I can't help but get increasingly bullish, more than I am, if that is possible.
I'll post comparison charts sometime over the weekend but suffice it to say that it is NOT looking good for the shorts. Somewhere on the not too distant horizon there is a perfect storm brewing and it's coming straight toward shortville
Shorts be scared. Be very scared

How common is it that a stock mimics almost identical patterns a few years apart?

Just received an email from Solar City that they are buying out bonds issued directly over the last three years. I had the ones due in Feb 2018. Just checked my account and they had deposited principal plus interest through Feb 2018.

I guess they are closing this bond program now.
Were they these Solar Bonds--- 6.50% Solar Bonds, Series 2016/13-18M?

Reactions: DaveT
FYI:

CBOE Put/Call ratio took a jump to 0.96 (had been hovering between 0.55 to 0.75 for the past two months).

ISEE Call/Put is 105 (for equities), also getting low. Previously had hovered around the 160s-190s.

Both suggest a developing bearish sentiment, and typically implies potential buy signals for the market as a whole. And they are becoming synchronous, unlike before. Cut off >1.0-1.2 for CBOE, and <65-100 for ISEE.

Also AAII is 29% bullish (+0.7% from prev week), 33.6% neutral (+1.6%), and 37.4% bearish (-2.2%).

Some rough calculations I did suggest that you need around 2500 kWh for 11 hours of driving at 62 mph (680 miles range) with a 36 ton semi. I think this battery is probably to big to be practical, weighing around 10 metric tons. 1000 kWh is probably a more practical size, needing around 4 metric tons. That makes the range only 270 miles, though, and likely down to 200 miles in bad weather.

I think battery swapping is the way to go, but we'll see if Tesla has anything up their sleeve.

Depends how fast you go.

I ran some numbers back around a year ago. Maybe someone can dig out my old analysis.

If memory serves, a typical drag calc for a semi fully loaded to the maximum allowable weight and running 60 mph for 11 hours needed around 1200-1500kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
So, do you think there is a chance for BEV's in Class 8? I would have thought the most logical place would be with urban vehicles like Garbage trucks, Cement carriers and the like. They seem to also have more change for some regeneration too, but they are short range. We cannot forget that the most early successes have been urban light delivery vehicles and short range busses.

Why think heavy trucks?
If you think about it from the point of view of the long term mission, Musk's goal is to prove that *all* transport can be done without fossil fuels. Accordingly, he's prioritizing going after the segments perceived as "difficult" by the rest of the world. He ignored city cars and went for long-distance travel; he ended the reputation of electric cars as "slow" or "small" by building supercars; next come the long-distance semi and the pickup truck, both segments being ignored by others. The segments seen as "easier" are already being done by someone else, so he doesn't have to do them personally. Probably.

Remember J B Straubel wanted to go straight to airplanes! But Musk said the tech wasn't ready for that yet. When it is, you can *expect* him to start a company to build an electric jumbo jet design.

Just received an email from Solar City that they are buying out bonds issued directly over the last three years. I had the ones due in Feb 2018. Just checked my account and they had deposited principal plus interest through Feb 2018.

I guess they are closing this bond program now.
These are the "Solar Bonds"? Yeah, they already stopped issuing new ones. I'm a little surprised they're buying out the ones which are not due until 2018, but I guess they are getting a better interest rate somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.