Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to disrespect you. But I think I have been seeing you buy-high-sell-low TSLA for almost a year. This stock is not for you. You are bad at timing the market and holding a stock at the same time. To not lose money to TSLA, you need to be at least mediocre at one of this. Market makers love you because it is from your loss they make their gains.

Just forget about it and buy SPY every month. It's not your type.

No offense taken. I've also spent more time than I'd care to admit beating myself over the head over how bad I am at timing this stock. I got lucky and made a few good trades a few months ago and got super excited, but that turned out to just be luck. I'm going to harden up a bit more and completely change my trading strategy. As in, shoot myself in the foot before I sell again for short term gain.

Reactions: CatB
Pleasant, and unpleasant, surprise today. My portfolio is up nicely, but the 3 covered calls I sold for 230 last week (expiring today) were a mistake. I will sell puts in the next week or two and hope I can get back in on a dip, and make some money while trying....
Yeah, days like today are why I don't sell covered calls on TSLA.

(I considered selling covered calls at $500 strikes but apparently nobody wanted to pay much for them :) )

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
@Jayjs20,

To echo some of the other comments, emotions are your worst enemy when investing. Making investment decisions based on emotions is the main reason most individual investors do much worse than the market.

It is not only the "buy high, sell low" phenomenon, but a lot of small decisions that subconsciously are driven by emotions rather than facts that result in very bad investment outcomes over time. One particularly bad habit of most investors according to the research is the tendency to sell winners too soon and hang on to losers too long because it feels good to win, and it feels bad to lose. This affects even professional investors although to a lesser extent. (Probably why some short sellers are still holding on for dear life, hoping to avoid the "pain" of a loss.)

There has been a lot written in the last decade on this topic. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman. It covers a lot of territory but the chapters on investment psychology are very good. (Some might say Elon should read the chapters relating to the "Planning Fallacy," but that's a different topic ;))

Good luck!

Last edited:
No offense taken. I've also spent more time than I'd care to admit beating myself over the head over how bad I am at timing this stock. I got lucky and made a few good trades a few months ago and got super excited, but that turned out to just be luck. I'm going to harden up a bit more and completely change my trading strategy. As in, shoot myself in the foot before I sell again for short term gain.
Remember, *you need to be able to sleep*. Do whatever psychological tricks help you to avoid being kept up at night by worry. If you're being kept up at night by worry, among other things, you'll stop thinking clearly and make trading errors.

And if you have to, forego the money. Your health is more important. I really have foregone a lot of good money-making opportunities because of what keeps me up at night. I knew, knew with absolute certainty, that the rational thing to do last October was to load up on SCTY on margin, but debt keeps me up at night, so I didn't.

Remember, *you need to be able to sleep*. Do whatever psychological tricks help you to avoid being kept up at night by worry. If you're being kept up at night by worry, among other things, you'll stop thinking clearly and make trading errors.

And if you have to, forego the money. Your health is more important. I really have foregone a lot of good money-making opportunities because of what keeps me up at night. I knew, knew with absolute certainty, that the rational thing to do last October was to load up on SCTY on margin, but debt keeps me up at night, so I didn't.

I think a good comparison here would be me coming back and sleeping in the barracks after spending a year in Iraq. Sure it wasn't comfortable, but it was a heck of a lot better than sleeping on a fold-out cot in a small prison cell-turned-room with 7 other guys.

I was sleeping way, way better when I wasn't trading for short term gains, so going back to just holding until the end of time should be a good improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'm not selling covered calls anymore, since 2012/13/14, when FB, my vehicle of choice at the time, kept running me over and catching me on 'impossible strike targets'. I ended rolling out week after week after week, but it doesn't help if SP continues moving up... Sometimes I'd recover, sometimes pay the price, sometimes step out, but this happened so many times that I finally learned lesson. For those that don't understand options well, I still made bunch of money, rode $24->$75 with most of my account, just not as much as I would have, if I did nothing.

I'm saying this because ferocity of TSLA move today reminds me of FB in its best days. Here is to '17 and hope this really is the case. And rdalcanto, be careful! I'm expecting us to touch 235 this week, but no idea where we close. Pure guess, $232, just to get back in the cadence of $10 move up per week

As I said, like FB couple years back.
Covered calls are risky play, unless you want to lighten up anyway.

simple advice: don't do absolutes. don't sell everything if you are concerned, dont buy in huge when bullish. constantly adjust your holding depending on your read of the current stock price versus potential for future stock value. You could so something like commit yourself to never make a trade of more than 20% of your holdings on any one day.

edit: not necessarily sound investmend advice, but will save you from the kidn of psychological blows to single unfortunate trades that you described.

Great advice. I started carefully, and after few years of great success started doing 'all in', or close enough. I made x yearly salaries over few years, and then lost 2/3*x yearly salaries on Tesla. Very unpleasant.
I've recovered some since, but my lowered tolerance to risk wouldn't let me recover as quickly, as I can't stomach 'all in' anymore. Hence waiting for $380 :)
So, yeah, GREAT, GREAT advice

* x>5

• Informative
As a long termer you MUST have a time horizon. When you buy a stock for the long haul, you have to be ready to completely ignore the stock price until your time period has come up; to shrug it off. You only look at the price when your time horizon is up, or when there is actually news (you know, like "Musk has been killed by a meteorite!")
It's a good thing market was closed, or the bots could have made many barnfuls of hay out of that straw in the wind. ;)
I'm out, it's midnight here.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and dakh
I bought in right around the start of July. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at a chart and determine that I spent most of the rest of 2016 deeply in the red. I had lost about half of my total investment through the fall. This wasn't comfortable by any stretch of the imagination, but I continue to follow the news here every day, and continue to analyse what I think the future holds for TSLA. I have remained convinced this whole time that SP's of 300-400 are inevitable post-Model 3 launch, and SP's well beyond that are possible by 2020. With this nearly $60 run since early December, I have recovered all of my losses, and am now finally in the green on my account.
Me too.

Plus I pulled in another $30k from a home equity loan to buy J19 $240's current;y up $42k, our "free" M3.

Reactions: BornToFly
@Jayjs20

Echoing 1kEE, endeavouring to understand the company thoroughly has been crucial to not panicking during the rollercoaster ride that comes with being a TSLA shareholder. I had never bought a stock before TSLA, and spent more than 1000 hours studying *everything* Musk and Tesla related over a 9 month period before buying my first share at the start of 2016. Since then, and despite being a super long term investor, I've spent *at least* 6 hours a day on this forum, Electrek etc. to keep up with the story as it plays out, ready to sell at a moments notice if things started smelling iffy. At one point I was down more than my house is worth, yet despite my wife freaking out, I could remain calm and allay her fears.

I'm a lurker rather than a contributor (writing is not really my thing), so I'll use this opportunity to give a big thank you to all on this board (bears included!) for your output over the last couple of years. Without this resource it's unlikely I'd be along for the ride, and I'm sure there are plenty of other lurkers who feel the same.

Looking forward to celebrating a trillion dollar valuation with you guys in a decade or so ;)

I feel your pain. I had 200 shares of Tesla at $150 and 1000 shares of nvidia at $25 sold both at a slight loss only to watch nvidia quadruple and tesla hit $270.

Ive learned I'm amazing at picking stocks but terrible at knowing when to sell. So now I'm back in Tesla at $190 and holding till year 2025. No more day trading for me

That's a great reminder to never put your investments above your health. My Grandpa used to say if you lose even one night of sleep over an investment sell asap because it's not worth it if it keeps you up at night, I think that was hard one advice.

• Love
@Jayjs20

I wouldn't necessarily consider my words advice, but I will share my story.

In June 2016 I sold my home to move closer to work. I had wanted to be invested in TSLA years ago, but did not have any available cash to do so. When I sold my home, and moved into a rental home closer to work (as strange as it sounds, this was indeed financially sound), I suddenly came into around $50,000 - the equity in my home. I purchased some nice things for my new home (a new bed, and a new couch) and once I'd rearranged my banking situation, I had a little shy of $40,000 left to invest with.

I am 100% weighted to TSLA derivatives - from the beginning, my goal has been to make enough money to buy the Model 3 I reserved in March with the profits, so I would still have my principal should I decide to buy a home again in the future after I own the car. To make that kind of growth rate, I have to play risky.

I bought in right around the start of July. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at a chart and determine that I spent most of the rest of 2016 deeply in the red. I had lost about half of my total investment through the fall. This wasn't comfortable by any stretch of the imagination, but I continue to follow the news here every day, and continue to analyse what I think the future holds for TSLA. I have remained convinced this whole time that SP's of 300-400 are inevitable post-Model 3 launch, and SP's well beyond that are possible by 2020. With this nearly $60 run since early December, I have recovered all of my losses, and am now finally in the green on my account.

If you can't handle the emotional roller coaster - I would recommend buying TSLA common and try not to look at the price day-to-day so long as your thesis on the long-term fundamentals remains sound. The market is all over the place, and the signal-to-noise ratio on the SP is... bad. Additionally, being a high-beta stock, TSLA amplifies the noise on the market - we often move up or down 1% on a day for no reason at all.

My Grandpa used to say that if you lose even one night of sleep over an investment you should sell it because it's not worth it even if you have to take a loss. Congrats on hanging on, hope it keeps going up and you didn't lose any sleep.

• Love

I don't have a margin account, but I had a similar idea I chose not to act on - I have a large (well, large relative to the size of my investments) line of credit available to me, and strongly considered the idea of pouring it on the fire when we were down in the 180s. Even though I was sure we were headed back to where we are today and beyond, I couldn't convince myself that it was worth the risk. As much as I have nearly my whole net worth on the line, I'm still young. Even if TSLA went to zero, I would be able to recover. So I'm not that worried about it. I've never been more sure of an investment decision than I am of being long TSLA for the next 2-5 years.

Prior to selling my house, I had been sitting on ~$30k of non-mortgage debt I had been unable to pay off within any reasonable time horizon and had been sitting on it for years. Since selling my house, I've been debt free for the first time since buying my first house 8 years ago, and its a feeling I'm unwilling to give up.
My Grandpa used to say that if you lose even one night of sleep over an investment you should sell it because it's not worth it even if you have to take a loss. Congrats on hanging on, hope it keeps going up and you didn't lose any sleep.
Funny how everyone's grandfathers are being mentioned. My grandfather passed away in July. My whole life, he was retired from working for the public utility commission in our area and had been investing in the stock market in his retirement. He mostly focussed on banks and other blue chips. He knew I had been planning to invest strongly in TSLA, and that I'd started about a month before his passing. His words at that time were that he needed to live another year. That TSLA would be a great investment, but that it wasn't quite time. I argued with him at the time - I was pretty sure that we were already headed on a climb toward Model 3, and at the time I was up. This was right around the time we had the brief foray to 235 in July shortly after I got in. In hindsight - he was totally right.

• Love
I don't have a margin account, but I had a similar idea I chose not to act on - I have a large (well, large relative to the size of my investments) line of credit available to me, and strongly considered the idea of pouring it on the fire when we were down in the 180s. Even though I was sure we were headed back to where we are today and beyond, I couldn't convince myself that it was worth the risk. As much as I have nearly my whole net worth on the line, I'm still young. Even if TSLA went to zero, I would be able to recover. So I'm not that worried about it. I've never been more sure of an investment decision than I am of being long TSLA for the next 2-5 years.

Prior to selling my house, I had been sitting on ~$30k of non-mortgage debt I had been unable to pay off within any reasonable time horizon and had been sitting on it for years. Since selling my house, I've been debt free for the first time since buying my first house 8 years ago, and its a feeling I'm unwilling to give up.

Funny how everyone's grandfathers are being mentioned. My grandfather passed away in July. My whole life, he was retired from working for the public utility commission in our area and had been investing in the stock market in his retirement. He mostly focussed on banks and other blue chips. He knew I had been planning to invest strongly in TSLA, and that I'd started about a month before his passing. His words at that time were that he needed to live another year. That TSLA would be a great investment, but that it wasn't quite time. I argued with him at the time - I was pretty sure that we were already headed on a climb toward Model 3, and at the time I was up. This was right around the time we had the brief foray to 235 in July shortly after I got in. In hindsight - he was totally right.

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, mine was back and forth to the hospital last year so hopefully power through for a while longer. I went on and on about Tesla with my Grandpa in the lead-up before 2013. He understands manufacturing exceptionally well but he didn't understand that Tesla is like old school manufacturing combined with software engineering, plus pretty much all the pundits that my Grandpa could relate to were very negative about Tesla. So I didn't convince him to invest, it was too big a reach for a guy that remembers cranking his Dad's Model T and bought his first car over 3/4 of a century ago, which is understandable. He had to quit driving several years ago and but I hope he sticks around long enough for self-driving. Took him for an S test drive a few years ago and he was pretty impressed when they let me floor it.

For the record, we busted through to close at $237.75. What's the next technical resistance level?
Yep, happy to be wrong here! Still have all my core shares even if I closed my short puts too soon.

I don't see any serious resistance until 250, though there's some historical resistance at 242 since there was an equity raise at that level. Could easily see us run back to the 270 post m3 reveal high after earnings.

Yep, happy to be wrong here! Still have all my core shares even if I closed my short puts too soon.

I don't see any serious resistance until 250, though there's some historical resistance at 242 since there was an equity raise at that level. Could easily see us run back to the 270 post m3 reveal high after earnings.
Speaking of earnings, aren't we getting a bit late in the month for Tesla to announce when the call is?

I'm a Grandpa and I have watched several young investors on this thread. I have a number of shares at $271 UGH. but they are long so I dont worry about them. My "play account" is much lower and more profitable. If what you like about the company is unchanged the fluctuations of the market should be ignored. And, if you play with the stock it should not be something you cannot afford to lose

Last edited:
I believe Tesla needs the stock price to go way up in the first half of 2017 because Tesla is almost certainly going to seek another round of funding from the markets to get the Model 3 to market. That's why I believe the short term prospects of this stock are good right now until the next offering is announced. After that I wish I had insider knowledge or a crystal ball.

Another thing that concerns me short term is how long it will take for the solar business to get ramped up. If you just go on yelp (I know it's a totally non technical form of analysis), the number of negative reviews I see concerns me as to the experience many folks have had with Solar City. My sister decided on using Sunpower over Solar City and other competitors about 6 months ago and told me the experience going with Sunpower was night and day compared to the other guys and that was her second time getting solar panels on a home in 5 years. I have a lot of faith that Tesla can turn the solar business around and integrate things but it's not going to happen overnight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.