Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Longer you leave a problem worker in place, the more damage you're doing to the team and productivity. I'm fully in agreement with Tesla / Musk on this. I've worked in middle management for years. Fire poor performers and move on. You'll have a stronger team for it."

Is your point that two wrongs don't make a right? Fine. But then Elon should admit this was not handle the way it should be. He has a massive problem taking responsibility and admitting mistakes let alone when something could be better.

Thanks.

The majority of our stock is in a joint account so she gets half of that tax protection. Others are directly owned by me with her as beneficiary. I don't know if that has to be settled in cash and, in any case, when the Dems take power, if ever, this loophole for the wealthy might be closed.
It will never be closed. It exists to protect heirs when the decedent failed to keep proper records of the purchase, which is sadly very common. :-( It really was not an issue when the estate tax hit those inheritances.

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
Clearly he is engaged in a million things and each is tough to do. So it's easy for us to be armchair quarterbacks. I have led some very large and complex programs but nothing like this. As such I have sympathy. My issue with Elon is how he handles himself. He exaggerates if not flat out lies. (If he is not lying then he isn't competent. Which I don't buy). His ego is out of control. He simply can't see that he is making things tougher for himself. Instead of owning this, stepping up and fixing that he gets defensive and attacks those who push back on him for these things. His intentions are a problem not the execution. That is a big problem.

If he owned this, apologized, made an honest attempt to fix it, including making responsible estimates, promises and reset timetables I bet given who he is and the massive amount of latitude he gets the stock goes up.

"Longer you leave a problem worker in place, the more damage you're doing to the team and productivity. I'm fully in agreement with Tesla / Musk on this. I've worked in middle management for years. Fire poor performers and move on. You'll have a stronger team for it."

Is your point that two wrongs don't make a right? Fine. But then Elon should admit this was not handle the way it should be. He has a massive problem taking responsibility and admitting mistakes let alone when something could be better.

I'm not understanding your post. Are you saying Elon should say he hired the wrong people? Was he part of the hiring interviews for the people that were fired?

The firing thing is nothing. It's a non-story that people are making a big deal about.

Clearly he is engaged in a million things and each is tough to do. So it's easy for us to be armchair quarterbacks. I have led some very large and complex programs but nothing like this. As such I have sympathy. My issue with Elon is how he handles himself. He exaggerates if not flat out lies. (If he is not lying then he isn't competent. Which I don't buy). His ego is out of control. He simply can't see that he is making things tougher for himself. Instead of owning this, stepping up and fixing that he gets defensive and attacks those who push back on him for these things. His intentions are a problem not the execution. That is a big problem.

If he owned this, apologized, made an honest attempt to fix it, including making responsible estimates, promises and reset timetables I bet given who he is and the massive amount of latitude he gets the stock goes up.
So do you think the new timetable they just released is still irresponsible? why?

So do you think the new timetable they just released is still irresponsible? why?

I actually think Tesla will literally never get to L4. They use the wrong engineering approach. As most AV makers do. Clear proof of this is Waymo's paradigm shift recently. I realize how this sounds. I will provide a bit of my resume and links to an article I wrote that explains it in detail and provides links for all the information to prove it I site.

My name is Michael DeKort. I am a former systems engineer, engineering and program manager for Lockheed Martin. I worked in aircraft simulation, the Aegis Weapon System, NORAD and on C4ISR for DHS. I also worked in Commercial IT. Including cybersecurity. I received the IEEE Barus Ethics Award for whistleblowing regarding the DHS Deepwater program post 9/11.
IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF:

Autonomous Levels 4 and 5 will never be reached without Simulation vs Public Shadow Driving for AI

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/autonomous-levels-4-5-never-reached-without-michael-dekort

Are you aware Tesla has job postings that describe that they do training/testing through simulation (using the Unreal game engine)? It's been discussed on this forum.
The issue is not that they don't use simulation. It is the depth and breadth. It should replace most public shadow driving. Handover and public shadow driving (letting go of the wheel) cannot not be made safe over the long term or on most high speed, complex and dangerous situations. it has been proven over and over including by NASA. If you take 5 minutes to read my article and look at the data references it becomes very clear.

The issue is not that they don't use simulation. It is the depth and breadth. It should replace most public shadow driving. Handover and public shadow driving (letting go of the wheel) cannot not be made safe over the long term or on most high speed, complex and dangerous situations. it has been proven over and over including by NASA. If you take 5 minutes to read my article and look at the data references it becomes very clear.

I don't understand what you mean by this: "public shadow driving (letting go of the wheel)"

As far as I know they barely use shadow driving (which I describe as computing what AP would do without actually doing it, then comparing it to a human). And when they do use shadow driving it's for validation/testing, not for development/training.

Reactions: Waiting4M3
Status
Not open for further replies.