Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I hope so :)

Well a solid Tesla but an hammered TSLA is one of the best situation I could dream of.

In this case I just hope I will have enough cash for at least 18 months to buy buy buy :D:D:p

I agree, the longer the price is suppressed the better chance someone can accumulate shares. The issue that I have is that I an using Tesla mostly for retirement and obviously you want to maximize Roth and IRA contributions but you can only make those annually for tax purposes or there are limits on a Roth based on income. I have already contributed for 2018 IRA, so I have to wait until Jan to put more in and hopefully the stock is going nuts with delivery numbers from the 3 before I can get my funds into my IRA account.

As I understand it, Tesla's autopilot is currently not capable of self driving. It requires constant monitoring and intervention. In its current state, it has trouble in many situations.

The 6,000,000,000 miles clock will not start until the car requires no human intervention (or at least constant monitoring i.e. level two) . Once the software reaches the state, they will need 6,000,000,000 miles over which time they can show the vehicle was safer than human drivers.

In other words, they need 6,000,000,000 miles at whichever level (three, four or five) of capability whatever they are aiming for. They are still very much only at level two.

My $.02 on the 6B miles - that's an Elon throwaway comment intended to illustrate directionality and order of magnitude (my interpretation), using his understanding, as of the writing of the 2nd Master Plan. The 6B miles IS NOT an established regulatory standard by any regulatory body that I'm aware of, nor is it even an aspirational statement by a regulatory body.

I'm on board with the idea of making guesses at how quickly regulatory approval will come, both the first approver, and how quickly other bodies will fall over themselves to get on the train. But be clear that they're all guesses, and there are all sorts of external factors that influence when the guesses come true.

Here's an article about Texas' legislature:
The Texas Legislature just ended its session. Here's what to expect next.

They meet every other year, for about 1/2 the year, in odd numbered years. They're done for this year, so either Texas calls a special session of the legislature (something I get the impression they don't like to do), or the SOONEST Texas would even consider Texas wide approval of autonomous driving is the front half of 2019. And if it doesn't make their list of things to do, then the NEXT opportunity is 2021.

I'm not picking on Texas - just using them as an example of legislative calendars and the pace at which things can get done.

Guess away, absolutely. Be clear that you're guessing, and try to be clear about where your guard rails are at, so we can be clear about when things take more (or less) time than expected, we can also see where the assumptions stop working.

For my part, an autonomous Tesla network is purely theoretical for my valuation / view of the company. The legislative impediments are too big and too unknown, the amount of work between what we see today in the wild and what we'll need to see in the future to consider real autonomy is also too big and too unknown for me. I realize that the market grants market capitalization value to companies that are doing this well, and from that point of view, Tesla should get credit for their progress.

In terms of an actual business model and business plan, my valuation of Tesla continues to be based on $0 from this sort of automation. Not because I think the option value is actually 0, but because I don't yet have any real information on what impact on Tesla it can have. If I needed this business to have value to Tesla today in order for Tesla to be worth owning, I personally would call this the top and exit the company.

I see several years of huge growth for Tesla whether anything comes of this potential future business or not. The option value is pure gravy over and above the company, and the level of guesswork layered on guesswork for me to back into a more specific value is high enough, and sufficiently unnecessary, that I value the company without it.

I might have to drop one of my model 3 reservations after this recent accident. No one likes autopilot anyway, its like really deadly and stuff. At least that is what I read on Twitter. Oh, and there is this really smart investor guy who likes to cuss a lot and make fun of upcoming 40 stall superchargers as needing to be 40 stall urinals instead. I mean I am certainly going to take financial advice from someone who seems like a complete lunatic. Oh and I just bought a S90D, Red on Tan with a sun roof. Just to good a deal to pass up. Added up to be about the same price as S75D with the new drive unit. Some good deals out there on 90D S/X, clearly they are blowing them out so that they can move on with just the 2 battery sizes.

Edit: Oh.. looks like I might keep that second model 3 reservation after all: Tesla driver denies 'Autopilot' led to Minnesota crash

Last edited:
My only concern toward Tesla is when the next economic recession will hit. Nothing else. I just hope they will have enough cash to finance their operation for at least 18 months, when demand will relatively be low.

I agree, but you also have to consider that most recessions are pretty tame, unlike the last one. It would be unusual to get two historically large ones back to back.

Reactions: SpaceCash

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The driver of a Tesla involved in a crash in Minnesota on Saturday denied that the vehicle's Autopilot system had led to the incident, according to an email released by the automaker.

The Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Department said in a statement on Sunday that the driver of the 2016 Tesla had said that when he engaged the Autopilot system, it suddenly accelerated and caused the vehicle to roll over, injuring himself and four passengers. But the driver said in the email released on Monday he believed he had disengaged the Autopilot system at the time of the crash. Tesla shares fell in trading on Monday after the crash was reported.

Capture d’écran 2017-07-17 à 21.13.19.png

With all the recent news about what Elon said at the governors meeting, my gut feeling tells me that he is also trying to lure as many short sellers as possible and as quickly as possible to load up on their shorts before he unleashes a tsunami of pain to crush them all once and for all.

"Those skilled at making the enemy move do so by creating a situation to which he must conform; they entice him with something he is certain to take, and with lures of ostensible profit they await him in strength." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

The stock market is all about psychology really.

Brilliant choices! Both media executives!

Linda is a prominent businesswoman here in Chicago publishing for a nationwide black audience. James (believe it or not) is the son of Rupert, owner of Fox News and other media outlets often critical of Tesla such as the Wall Street Journal, Barrons's, etc.
Murdoch may also be a play at Australian influence for Tesla Energy's efforts in the country, biggest media player and one of the biggest pools of wealth to counterbalance heavy fossil fuel influences.

I think you will see more utilities doing this:

Utilities Are Giving People Cash for Clean Cars

When people migrate $300-500 in gas to about /4th as much in dollar terms to electricity, the utilities benefit. If they then setup a system to allow the Utility to decide when to charge the vehicles, assuming its plugged in, then it can be an even better benefit to both allowing for more incentives.

Do you mean Rupert's kids (i.e. - James), or James's children? I think you mean the former....I've not paid much attention but I have the vague recollection of being surprised at apparent significant differences in the sociopolitical positions of père and fils. Regardless, for me that was quite a shocker.

Not a real surprise to see Linda J Rice there - for obvious reasons, she is one of the most sought-after persons for the board of a US corporation. That, of course, means she gets to choose what companies, non-profits and others to join, so her acceptance alone bears nicely on Tesla.

I've absolutely zero contacts who can tell me if her board input is worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.