Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another shot/Occam's shave from a simpleton. If you have low profit margins in a declining market as a shopkeeper, are you willing to cut prices still more? Alternatively, if prices are rising are you willing to risk being more greedy?

But since I now think of you as a super economist and not just a super, super historian, this post is like some of trendtraders007 parodies and another example of your refined sense of humor? "and I don't actually fully understand why -- it's complicated," my ass.
I was taught that wisdom was about admitting when you don't know something. That way you can learn. See, *next* time this topic comes up, I'm going to give your hypothesis as to why it works this way...

:)

(Remember the snarky story about how Socrates concluded that he was the wisest man? I'm sure you heard it in school. The Greeks - Socrates )

we could put a cost of the recall on it i guess, 53000 cars x $200 labor = $10,600,000 tops. lost $1b of market cap in about 7 minutes though. added a bit of exposure on the dip.

How much of this do you think the third party supplier is on the hook for? $200 seems a bit high for a 45 minute fix and its not a safety issue so it could be done anytime they bring the car in for service, which further lowers the total cost because there is some overhead to each time a person gets service that would be shared.

Edit: Duh, I should have read the thread first, as noted the supplier is paying for the repairs.

Reactions: luvb2b
Thestreet.com has sunk to a FUD level previously unseen even at Seeking Alpha. Nobody even wanted to even sign their name to this one - instead it's credited to 'Thestreet Staff'. This is shocking stuff. Apparently they release the same article every time there is an auto recall and just update the company name in the headline.

Nissan Altima's Recall and 11 of the Worst Auto Blunders of All Time

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and TMSE
Thestreet.com has sunk to a FUD level previously unseen even at Seeking Alpha. Nobody even wanted to even sign their name to this one - instead it's credited to 'Thestreet Staff'. This is shocking stuff. Apparently they release the same article every time there is an auto recall and just update the company name in the headline.

Nissan Altima's Recall and 11 of the Worst Auto Blunders of All Time

Biased idiots. There are dozens of recalls a year. That list should be in the thousands by now probably.

watching various media coverage on this recall - cnbc and street.com for example - i am starting to feel i understand why there are so many complaints about fake news. the cnbc spot the anchor kept trying to drag the guest expert to saying it was a big deal - even though he kept repeating it was a nonevent.

i'm also surprised the stock hasn't recovered the 5 or so points it lost. makes me wonder if she's getting a little tired after such a long sprint.

watching various media coverage on this recall - cnbc and street.com for example - i am starting to feel i understand why there are so many complaints about fake news. the cnbc spot the anchor kept trying to drag the guest expert to saying it was a big deal - even though he kept repeating it was a nonevent.

i'm also surprised the stock hasn't recovered the 5 or so points it lost. makes me wonder if she's getting a little tired after such a long sprint.

This why tsla tends to drift higher whenever there is no news. It's because whenever there is news the media portrays it as negatively as possible putting pressure on the stock, and in the absence of news it corrects itself to where it should be. Analysts then say 'we see no fundamental reason for this run-up and we don't understand it - price target 155'. It's not that hard to understand.

This is entirely speculation, but let's say Elon wanted to stick it to bears before a big announcement, something like the solar roof launch or a big TE deal, he might release a voluntary non event recall during trading hours, knowing the shorts and manipulators will hyperventilate and then...

Last edited:
Yes, but apparently this is 'one of the worst auto blunders of all time'.

Right, so a brake that won't Unbrake is a massive, catastrophic event (as opposed to a brake which doesn't brake, which do you prefer?). And of course, there are no real world examples of such event occurring. Tesla just getting ahead of the potential problem get's lumped into the "worst auto blunders of all time." Sorry this is more of an example of worst "journalism" of all time, if it can be called journalism.

This is entirely speculation, but let's say Elon wanted to stick it to bears before a big announcement, something like the solar roof launch or a big TE deal, he might release a voluntary non event recall during trading hours, knowing the shorts and manipulators will hyperventilate and then...

@Turing: Doubt it but it is an interesting theory:rolleyes:. I am with 'luv' on this: I think we are stuck in the 300-307 range till ER. I am not complaining because 2-3 weeks ago I did not think we would see $300 till the '3' *on time* launch.

Elon - we want to buy more shares. Maybe there's some little nut or gear that could possibly be a problem?
-Tencent

@Turing: Doubt it but it is an interesting theory:rolleyes:. I am with 'luv' on this: I think we are stuck in the 300-307 range till ER. I am not complaining because 2-3 weeks ago I did not think we would see $300 till the '3' *on time* launch.

Could be. Timing just seemed a little odd. Why not wait until the weekend or after market close so that the algo bots don't freak out as much and there is some more time to digest?

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Funny story...

I took my grandma's 2007 Toyota Yaris to the service center today due to the Takata airbag recalls - appointment was scheduled 3 weeks ago, little did I know we'll have a Tesla recall today.

After I first called them 3 weeks back to agree on the date, the guy called me back later that day, saying that based on the VIN number, the car is involved in another recall (cross beam) so the repair will take 3 hours.

So I took the car to them this morning, picked it up after work, and was surprised to see 3 items on the (zero amount due) bill. Oh yeah.. turns out the car is involved in a 3rd recall as well (something about greasing the front electric window microswitch ?).

Now, mind you, this wasn't even the first time for this car - as we had to take it back once already due to the stuck accelerator pedal recall, not to mention both rear shock absorbers needed to be replaced a few weeks after the original delivery due to a manufacturing issue (both were completely broken and knocking against the housing...)

So that's 4 recalls and 1 serious manufacturing defect for you on one of the most popular models of the world's No1. car manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.