Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don' think the red one at the reveal was clay, it just didn't have a drivetrain.
img_3676.jpg

I don't really see why a 4 year old contract couldn't be amended to allow Tesla to buy from Pana 2170s instead of 18650s.

The whole point of the contract was to ensure Pana had a customer - surely Pana doesn't really care whether Tesla buys 2170s or 18650s, especially if 18650 equipment can be converted over.

off topic:

I still amazes me that a tiny start-up (no model 3 and so on) was able to lure Panasonic in a big investment like the Gigafactory and by doing so giving Tesla an head start for mass production of electric cars. IMO it's one of Teslas biggest accomplishments

A cheapened version of S is a cooler/better version.
S is not cool because of expensive leather, materials, sugarload of aluminum and all.
S is cool because it is a non-compromise car. With good looks and good performance.

At lower price a could not care less about missing luxuries...
Cheapened will be nice, but I've been waiting for a smaller S (or X) and that's what the 3 is to me.

Reactions: SebastianR
A cheapened version of S is a cooler/better version.
S is not cool because of expensive leather, materials, sugarload of aluminum and all.
S is cool because it is a non-compromise car. With good looks and good performance.

At lower price a could not care less about missing luxuries...
The aluminium is big though because it means car body will last longer, which is big considering electric motor will last longer too.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
The aluminium is big though because it means car body will last longer, which is big considering electric motor will last longer too.

This is a very important, but often underestimated truth. Acura NSXes still look like new cars. My "other" car is a 1963 Land Rover with all of the original body panels. My Model S has been through five Canadian saltbath winters and 220,000km and still looks like a new car (minus a few rock dings, none of which rust). All of the steel cars I've owned were dangerous rustbuckets at 250k, even ones made by Mercedes. My 2001 Dodge pickup needed rust repair twice in ten years. Aluminum bodies are the opposite of planned obsolescence.

I don't really see why a 4 year old contract couldn't be amended to allow Tesla to buy from Pana 2170s instead of 18650s.

The whole point of the contract was to ensure Pana had a customer - surely Pana doesn't really care whether Tesla buys 2170s or 18650s, especially if 18650 equipment can be converted over.

The only issue is preferred pricing on a per-unit basis for the larger buying periods of late 2016 through 2017. Replacing 18650 high volume yield with lower 2170 yield may mean pricing for the new cells needs some amendment to the contract. Pricing per-cell of a 2170 would definitely be more than an 18650 due to the nearly 25% additional Ah capacity and larger amount of materials. Unless they are buying "by the kWh" - which is doubtful. Definitely can amend it but the end result has to be good for both parties.

In other news :

Court allows Tesla to sell cars in Missouri during appeals process; stores to reopen

On Wednesday, the Missouri Court of Appeals granted Tesla's motion to stay, or temporarily halt, a lower court's judgment that Tesla's licenses to sell vehicles should not be renewed in 2017. The stay allows Tesla to reopen all three of its Missouri stores while the company appeals the judgment.

The people want what the people want.

Eventually, these ADA's that feel the need to fight Tesla's constitutional right to compete and engage in business without being beholden to a third party dealer will be laughed all the way to the history books.

In case nobody's noticed yet, Tesla keeps winning this battle in most arenas it gets fought in.

The laws that these ADA's keep accusing Tesla of violating were never intended to stop a manufacturer from selling their product to customers, but rather, intended to protect a franchisee from being undercut by the franchising company - which makes sense. An automaker who franchises sales in the region to a dealer SHOULDN'T then turn around and undercut that dealer themselves. But to suggest that it was intended to outlaw an automaker who never franchised those rights away from selling their product is insane. In law, the government's intent when they wrote the law weighs heavily on a ruling justice's decisions where the law is ambiguous.

clearly the market was not too spooked by this miss, but it was a miss by all definitions and understanding of the word.

No it wasn't. They produced 84,000 cars. In makes no difference to Tesla if several thousand are delivered in the first week or two of January. The number they did delivery before the end of 2016, was still a 50% yoy growth. Demand, which is the most important thing, continues to grow, and Q1 2017 is basically sold out. It was only a miss to people with small minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.