Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone agrees that EO is legal, hence the need to defend it in court. AG said she will not defend Trump's EO because Trump promised to ban Muslims, and one of his aides said it was their original intention. Discriminating based on religion, nationality, birth or residence goes against Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. Trump administration, on the other hand, argues that it's a matter of national security and therefore Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 is being put on hold.

This OE will be challenged in court and it's far from being clear-cut 'legal or illegal'.

Even Republicans in Congress believe the implementation was clearly a mess. That explains why the ACLU claims the 14th amendments due process clause was violated. I think she has clear grounds for denying constitutionality. Question is whether she should defend it in which case she is also clearly insubordinate. Apparently her angst was whether to resign or fall on her sword by taking a stand. From her perspective as to what is justice in the broader sense, she did the righteous thing. Pence claims he is first and foremost a Christian. Let's see what he does when acting president or president, although there are various interpretations of any faith. As Harold Laski once said to a colleague, "yes we are both marxists, you in your way and I in Marx's."

I'm not sure the alt-right are willing to act out of principle if it involves personal sacrifice, e.g. forced sale of assets to avoid a conflict of interest (although I'm willing to admit Tillerson did the right thing, if he did divest Exxon totally—wise economic decision too). The Great Nabob is not a Martin Luther King Jr. on this kind of sacrifice and finally, whatever happened to Pontius Pilate?

Edit: Actually Wikipedia says, in part, he was eventually exiled to Gaul where he committed suicide at Vienne. Decades ago my ex took us there for the best food. (Sorry Mitch, I ate the meat but I don't remember what it was. The fraise du bois were excellent, however.) Gourmet Magazine rated it then as perhaps the best restaurant in the world.

Last edited:
The hub bub is a lot less about what's written in the executive order, and a lot more about an inflamed left fantasizing about some war with the next Hitler where they are the golden armored angels wielding the upper moral hand. It's more narcissistic fantasy than reality. Most people vastly under-appreciate in just how many ways they can be completely wrong, and how much experience it takes to improve that situation. We should let the professionals deal with this, and focus on what we can affect, which is the size of our position in TSLA. Because the same is true with that, everyone here could be dead wrong and the company goes down in flames for something we overlooked and meanwhile we're still talking about dead unkempt Germans.

Focus, people!

There are many other online forums within which to discus general politics. Let's stay focused here on things directly related to Tesla.
While I agree in principle, if you can't see that the current political environment is the biggest threat to TSLA in the immediate future, I don't think you've fully considered the situation.

That's going to result in on-topic political discussions, subject to our usual tangents off into the weeds.

While I agree in principle, if you can't see that the current political environment is the biggest threat to TSLA in the immediate future, I don't think you've fully considered the situation.

That's going to result in on-topic political discussions, subject to our usual tangents off into the weeds.

And that is why we have weedwackers....I mean moderators ;) Correct ?

looks like Fred (inadvertently) has repeated what is basically a "fake news" story all but certainly designed to cause Tesla headaches.

Bloomberg (the home of Cory Johnson and perhaps the planet's longest running track record of Tesla/Elon bashing) put out a piece earlier in the week trying to foment the idea that there's a big protest movement rising toward Elon and Tesla. They cherrypicked a laughably unrepresentative group of responses to some of Elon's tweets. I say this having scanned the actual responses and having seen the overwhelming majority were supportive of Elon taking the approach he believes is best, not protesting his approach, let alone canceling orders.

Some Tesla Model 3 reservation holders claim to be canceling orders over Elon Musk’s link with Trump

I think the Bloomberg piece is designed to create a self-fulfilling prophecy... create the impression that there is a movement to protest Tesla's products to encourage others to do this.

again, I'm sure Fred's intention was not to spread a false narrative. I'd love to see Fred write an article refuting this narrative with quantitative data... sampling the responses at the time and quantifying support vs. protest, and how many cancellation/boycott tweets there actually were in the sample.

update: CNBC has reported on the Electrek article

Tesla fans say they are cancelling Model 3 orders over Musk's Trump connection

again, I really hope Fred considers squashing this with some data.

Last edited:
Focus, people!

There are many other online forums within which to discus general politics. Let's stay focused here on things directly related to Tesla.

I for one sorely miss the old short-term thread. I was not a frequent poster, but learned much about Tesla and TSLA and the result is a substantial long position. Sorry to say the present discussion not so much.

Tesla: 80 Megawatt-Hour Battery Installation

It's unprecedented today, but Tesla hopes this battery storage project will soon be dwarfed by the scale of its Gigafactory.
Electric-car, battery, and solar company Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) took a key step this week in advancing its nascent energy storage business when it celebrated the world's largest lithium-ion storage installation at electric utility Southern California Edison's Mira Loma substation. But despite its unprecedented scale, Tesla chief technology officer JB Straubel said the project is "just the tip of the iceberg in the future of how much storage we are going to see on the grid."
<Snip>
Tesla's completed lithium-ion battery storage installation boasts 80 megawatt-hours (MWh) of battery capacity and helps Southern California Edison provide more reliable electricity for about 15 million people. Tesla says the batteries could store enough energy to power 2,500 homes all day, or 15,000 homes for four hours. The energy storage installation, along with two other similar energy storage projects for the electric utility by two other companies, will help the utility operate a flexible grid that delivers clean energy, said Southern California Edison CEO Kevin Payne at a ceremony acknowledging the project's completion.

As the largest energy storage project Tesla has deployed yet, the company's late-2016 introduced Powerpack 2 units were used for the utility-scale system. The updated Powerpack builds on the company's first-generation Powerpack, which was first introduced in May 2015. The new Powerpacks, which have 200 kilowatt-hours of capacity, have twice the energy density of the first-generation versions. Further, the Powerpack 2 has a new, Tesla-designed and produced inverter, which Tesla asserts is "the lowest cost, highest efficiency and highest power density utility-scale inverter on the market."

While the pricing details of Tesla's Powerpack project for the Mira Loma substation weren't made public, Bloomberg's New Energy Finance analysts believe it's possible that Tesla flexed its unprecedented scope of its new Gigafactory in Nevada to "establish new floors for pricing, forcing the industry to follow," Bloomberg's Tom Randall reported on Monday.

Ramping up
Importantly, this project follows Tesla's announcement in January that the company had doubled the size of its Gigafactory since last July to a 1.9 million-square-foot footprint and 4.9 million square feet of operational space on the building's multiple levels. In addition, Tesla said in January the company had begun mass producing the company's new, high-performance cylindrical "2170" lithium-ion battery cells for use in its energy storage products, with cells for its upcoming Model 3 vehicle scheduled to begin in Tesla's second quarter.

As the company continues to build out its Gigafactory, Tesla is ramping up energy storage production at exponential rates, and the economics of Tesla's Gigafactory are playing a key role in making Tesla's value proposition compelling. Not only were all of the products for the installation built at Tesla's Gigafactory, but Tesla emphasized the U.S.-based production dramatically increased the speed with which the company was able to produce and deploy this battery storage.

"That's part of how we were able to do this site in such a fast response time, literally if we had to ship things from overseas, that would have taken up a third a third of the available time for the entire deployment," Straubel explained at the ribbon-cutting event. Tesla's scalability and rapid deployment will be "key to advancing energy storage on the grid," Straubel said.

Tesla eventually hopes an 80 MWh installation will be dwarfed by the total levels of energy storage the company is regularly deploying. By 2018, Tesla is planning for the Gigafactory to support 350 gigawatt-hours of annual cell production for its vehicles and energy storage products combined. Meanwhile, Tesla apparently already has its work cut out for it: "It's sort of hard to comprehend sometimes the speed all this is going at," Straubel told Bloomberg. "Our storage is growing as fast as we can humanly scale it."

It sounds like the cells for this project were produced at the Gigafactory?! :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
You know the thread has gone off the rails when the moderator is contributing to the noise.

If you guys really need to discuss the job of th AG or what happened with Nixon, then discuss that *sugar* in a separate thread. This has nothing to do with Tesla.

Keep it up, Moe, and you may find yourself saddled with the burden of Moderating.

First and only warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Australian battery price war resumes, with Powerwall 2 delivery just ‘weeks away’

Competitive Powerwall market is emerging in Australia. The rooftop solar market is a few years older than the US, so it is good to watch how it evolves. This price war is definitely a good thing.

Williams says that for his company, Tesla’s Powerwall is leading the pack in terms of customer inquiries, with the first shipment of its 14kWh Powerwall 2 units expected to arrive sometime in Q1, and possibly within the next few weeks.

“I can tell you that the pre-orders for the Powerwall 2 are currently at more than three times the pre-orders we got for the Powerwall 1, at the same stage of delivery.”

As well as being double the capacity, the Powerwall 2 is also 30 per cent smaller in size, he says, making it more attractive to home owners at the same time as they become more familiar with the product and more confident about investing in it.

But the bottom line, says Williams, and the most exciting market development of all, is that “it now makes financial sense to get a home energy system.

“Now, customers who do the sums and work out the return on investment… go ahead based on financials.”

So it appears we've got the product and price where it needs to be to trigger a strong market. It also helps that network power prices are going up and feed-in tariffs for solar are really low. Over 1.5 million homes in Australia have solar already. So in Powerwall 2 prices this residential market is on order of $8B on over 20 GWh. But the improved economics of batteries may also accelerated the growth of rooftop solar. So the opportunity is there to keep GF1 busy, while other markets warm up.

These Powerpacks would have been produced when the Gigafactory was still sourcing cells from elsewhere. So the cells were produced overseas and then assembled into Powerpacks at the Gigafactory.
That's what I thought too, but the article is stating a different conclusion.

Do you know that Tesla was not producing sufficient cells for 80 Mwh ofpower packs before the January event? Links to official statements?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.