Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put it past those who want Tesla to fail to spend a few hours putting something like this together. That said, it seems a lot more credible than what they usually put out there.

*edit. This individual also seems to go back and forth praising Panasonic and hating Panasonic.

I was confused, too, until I realized that I was thinking Panasonic=Japanese people and Tesla =Americans. I think he is consistently saying that the people Panasonic sends from Japan are excellent, while all the Americans they hired for Panasonic are incompetent (have to add he is an American). And while Tesla has fired some of their staff at GF, he says Panasonic needs to do the same with some of their US employees.

Those seat excuses seem pure FUD. We all saw Tesla delivering production cars in July. How could the cars be in production when parts didn't meet specs? They were all simulated to reach the RC status logn ago, were they not?

For any part, you may have consistency issues, especially if it involves some form of molding, casting, cutting, sewing, etc. If it's a laser cut part, it's probably more consistent, but many additive and subtractive manufacturing techniques can potentially have undesired variances that take time to fix (or replace the supplier if they're incapable of it). Sometimes it's just a matter of one set of molds having a minor defect for example, and if the supplier doesn't catch this, reject it themselves, and make enough parts to make up for it, the customer (in this case, Tesla) is not going to be happy if they care at all about quality. In this case (the seats), the supplier might be Tesla, or perhaps the original supplier dropped the ball so bad they've already insourced it.

It's not unheard of (but not typical at the level of automotive manufacturing, more common for cheap toy widgets built in china) to get high quality consistent parts during the initial review due to the manufacturer carefully controlling the quality and making enough parts to get the job, then slacking off once they have it and allowing bad parts through.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I was confused, too, until I realized that I was thinking Panasonic=Japanese people and Tesla =Americans. I think he is consistently saying that the people Panasonic sends from Japan are excellent, while all the Americans they hired for Panasonic are incompetent (have to add he is an American). And while Tesla has fired some of their staff at GF, he says Panasonic needs to do the same with some of their US employees.

Yes. He’s constantly praising the quality of the Japanese techs from Japan. Just frustrated that they do not have the same level of competency in their American hires. And frustrated by the Japanese techs (TAs) inability to communicate with their American counterparts/managers due to the language barrier.

Thought it was interesting how he pointed out that he had been calling for a round of firing with his previous post before the current firing. And how he clearly felt vindicated by the current firings, and basically saying that Panasonic needs to do the same.

It's entirely possible this is only one of the bottlenecks, and not the one that has seemingly stopped all production.

My prime suspect remains the seats.
What is it with Elon and seats??? They're just seats. The Model X seats cost many option holders dearly I suspect. Now, it's possibly happening again with the Model 3?!! This from a man who is routinely landing rockets on barges in the ocean? C'mon man.:confused:

For what it's worth, it's the same person.

Same person and spamming of same comments with slight variations to what he posted 19 days ago.

Disqus - Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk hints at ‘production hell’ at battery Gigafactory in Nevada

Things like losing parts or stripping off bolt heads by using channel locks instead of sockets on hex bolts.

Disqus - Tesla truck delayed again

I’ve seen one of these incompetent “technicians” cause the production line to be down for days because he used a pair of channel locks to tighten a hex head bolt and completely rounded off the bolt head which then caused further equipment damage.

I don't know how a rounded off bolt head would cause "further equipment damage".

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
Why would you use a grinder?? I think drilling and ez-out is for removing stripped screws.. not bolts.

Few ways. Grind flats on the sides of the head to get a grip with. Grind a slot in the head and use flat screwdriver. Grind a flat on the head to ease drilling the bolt out or making pilot hole for easy out.

Agreed, easy out not usually used on bolt, but may be better than drilling out the bolt. Left handed drill bits also useful.

Any bolt can be removed and the internal thread saved by an EDM (electrical discharge machining) process. Unfortunately, the part with the female thread must be stripped and immersed while removal is done, but it is possible.

Nice!
Depending on situation, you can weld (pick your method.. probably not stick... unless really big bolt) a nut to the exposed bolt and then wretch it off.

Reactions: bookfast
. I think you are not visualizing EDM correctly. EDM destroys the broken stub of a broken bolt. There is nothing to weld to.

Sorry for the confusion, I was just bringing up another process to remove a worn/snapped bolt, not electrical discharge machining.

Well, the neat was referring to EDM since I hadn't considered it for use in that way. But if it can form a cooling channel in a turbine blade, no reason it can't remove a bolt.

Folks, stop fooling yourself about the new found excuse of GF bottleneck :)
For the handful of M3s Tesla is making now, it could just buy the batteries from the local Walmart Superstore or order from Amazon prime.;)

I'm expecting an electric SEMI-truck load of excuses in the upcoming ER. But yeah, the target of "M3 in production" was met for all vesting purposes.

I agree. He mentioned a few issues. Tesla should be able to solve them.
This seems to be part of his frustration. Tesla can't easily solve the issues, because they are Panasonic issues, not Tesla issues.

I also question how cavalier people seem to be in thinking that Panasonic can just send over Japanese people to run the factory. While I'm sure they are trying to do this, it is probably not that easy. They probably don't have hundreds, or thousands of extra Japanese production workers that they can send to a different country on short notice. It may not be that easy, or even possible to get the right work visa's to make this happen. What would happen to their Japanese factories if they did this? Even if they did have the people, just finding a place for them to live, and transportation would be a huge hassle. It sounds like there are also issues that they promised the state of Nevada they would hire mostly local workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.