Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 X replacement key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi- Please help! I lost my key fob for 2016 model X and when I look on Tesla website for replacement, they only show the credit card style key for model X. My car is not equipped to support the key card (I know, I asked them!). Will the model 3/Y fob work with a 2016 model X? If not, does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

...Will the model 3/Y fob work with a 2016 model X?...
No. Different technology. It's doubtful that Tesla would retrofit the technology because it might be just too costly.

If not, does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!
All S/X prior to 2021 don't have user-friendly user-programmable fob/key card/key phone so you'll need to book an appointment with a Service Center or Mobile Service for a replacement and programming.

Hi- Please help! I lost my key fob for 2016 model X and when I look on Tesla website for replacement, they only show the credit card style key for model X. My car is not equipped to support the key card (I know, I asked them!). Will the model 3/Y fob work with a 2016 model X? If not, does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

The Model X fob is not owner programmable. Therefore it is a service part. Only available through a service ticket. I asked once and think I was told $250, which included programing. For some odd reason, setting up a model X fob takes quite an effort.

Suggestion: Be sure the new fob is set up uniquely from your other key, before you leave. They had a devil of a time making my fobs different from each other, after replacing the central body control module (which manages the fobs among other things).

I'm not a fob expert. But I did buy some spare fobs this year (because I tend to misplace small things) and had them programmed by Tesla.
  • First, I think the new price from Tesla is something like $175. (But not sure, as I did not get them from Tesla; see below). I believe they are still available from Tesla, but not advertised on the Tesla "Shop" website page.
  • There was no charge (for me) to have them programmed. (But I have a new Model X and was having some other stuff done under warranty. Check with service via messages using your phone app.) A mobile service tech did it for me. So you don't necessarily have to go to a service center.
  • I bought new (no scratches; batteries good) fobs for about half-price using Craig's List. Check locally and in other urban markets. Fobs are small so easy to ship. EBay is another possibility. There is a Tesla dismantler (Zapaska) near Sacramento that sometimes sells fobs on eBay. Check your local dismantlers. There are "new" fobs for sale for around $70 right now on eBay. Take the usual precautions when buying online. But with eBay and PayPal there are return policies that help protect buyers.
  • Make sure you buy a Model X fob. They are slightly larger and have the side window buttons. Models S, 3, and Y fobs will not work for the X.
  • The Model X (mine is a 2020/21) will take up to 8 fobs! (It says so in the current Tesla Model X pdf owner's manual.) (Not sure if 2016 will accept that many.) So if you can get more than one spare at a good price, I say do it.
  • Get a good cover with chain/lanyard to protect your fob(s) and lessen the chance of loss. I use an aluminum clamshell cover (from China) that I like. It is protective but doesn't cover the five buttons (front, rear, top, and 2 side buttons).