Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X p90d "UNABLE TO CHARGE, DISCONNECT CABLE AND RETRY" & " CHG_f081"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 MODEL X P90D
Miles: 90k

Issue:
-When charging to any wall connector, I get an error that state "UNABLE TO CHARGE, DISCONNECT CABLE AND RETRY" This error does not pop up when I use a Super Charger [SC].
-The ACTIVE ALERT should give a " CHG_f081" on the main center screen. Tap Alert and it should display that code if your having this issue.

Fix:
-I made a service appointment on my TESLA APPLICATION here at norfolk and the technician found " SENSOR IN MASTER CHARGER FAULTY". At my luck I had the EXTENDED SERVICE WARRANTY which was covered and my deductible is $200. BUT for those who have this issue and you dont have a warranty, its $3500 with parts and labor. I hope this helps.

yes usually its the OBC (on board charger) issue
for DIYers n for those looking to save money, u can buy used charger (match to ur original) and swap it out, then do software re-deploy from service mode
location is behind left trunk side panel

I basically had the opposite issue. It would charge OK at home (up to 48 amps) but not higher, and had real big problems getting a lock at a supercharger.

Now with the new Gen 2 charger port, everything works perfectly again. And I think I picked up about 8 extra kW in max charging power. 🙂