Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90DL for $53K - 44k mileage (found online not mine)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i actually wonder if P90D values will drop below P85D? considering battery issue 90's have and the fact that they removed things like the upgraded suspension and rear nex gen seats, there may be a few other things as well. the P90D's are actually less of a car, the only thing that it has going is they are more commonly equipped with L

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
i actually wonder if P90D values will drop below P85D? considering battery issue 90's have and the fact that they removed things like the upgraded suspension and rear nex gen seats, there may be a few other things as well. the P90D's are actually less of a car, the only thing that it has going is they are more commonly equipped with L

All things being equal, I personally would pay ZERO premium for a P90D. And indeed for the exact same car, I would actually prefer a P85D unless it was a Version 3 battery.

Now if the P90D had the facelift, center console, and AP2 that would make a difference for paying a premium but otherwise for me an older P90D is not worth more than a comparable P85D.

I know you life the stiffer suspension from the P85 "plus" era but not everyone considers that a plus, pun intended :) I greatly prefer the more comfortable ride of the current suspension for the Model S so that aspect of your argument is debatable based on personal preference.

• Informative
There is a loaded CPO P90DL also available directly from Tesla for $58K. Basically add the $5,000 CPO warranty to the car posted by the OP and it's where the Tesla CPO is priced.

Model S P90D 5YJSA1V46FF098937 | Tesla
$5k for a slightly longer warranty? No thanks. That's a LOT of money. Especially when you consider that 1) the white one is still under a factory warranty long enough to address any major issues you discover and 2) the dealership will likely negotiate that asking price.

Also, CPO is no longer a thing through Tesla. They now only sell cars called "used" and the term "CPO" no longer exists in the world of Tesla.

$5k for a slightly longer warranty? No thanks. That's a LOT of money. Especially when you consider that 1) the white one is still under a factory warranty long enough to address any major issues you discover and 2) the dealership will likely negotiate that asking price.

Also, CPO is no longer a thing through Tesla. They now only sell cars called "used" and the term "CPO" no longer exists in the world of Tesla.

If it were my money, I would still pay the extra $5,000 for the Tesla CPO 4 year warranty. The 2015 dealer car will have the warranty expire sometime this year. Now this is assuming that the Tesla CPO car is undamaged and in good condition...

its hard to compare cars sold else where vs what tesla is offering because we have no idea what condition those cars are in and more so than less, they are damaged cosmetically in one way or another. at least the one from the dealer looks to be in pretty decent shape.

All things being equal, I personally would pay ZERO premium for a P90D. And indeed for the exact same car, I would actually prefer a P85D unless it was a Version 3 battery.

Now if the P90D had the facelift, center console, and AP2 that would make a difference for paying a premium but otherwise for me an older P90D is not worth more than a comparable P85D.

I know you life the stiffer suspension from the P85 "plus" era but not everyone considers that a plus, pun intended :) I greatly prefer the more comfortable ride of the current suspension for the Model S so that aspect of your argument is debatable based on personal preference.

its an unpopular opinion as most Model S owners are an older generation but without the plus suspension, the car feels like a boat.

it still boggles my mind how they do their models though. you would think a Performance car offering would have upgraded performance parts(including suspension)

i understand you want a more comfy ride but that is where the non-performance models come into play

If it were my money, I would still pay the extra $5,000 for the Tesla CPO 4 year warranty. The 2015 dealer car will have the warranty expire sometime this year. Now this is assuming that the Tesla CPO car is undamaged and in good condition...

There's no such thing as a Tesla CPO anymore.

You are a warranty guy then. I, however, am not. I hate them. I will not pay extra for one and I will self insure whenever possible. Their sole purpose in life is to make money on people willing to pay for "peace of mind" and the numbers prove this. Most all warranties are a scam and I would MUCH rather have that $5k sitting in an investment for the same couple of years you're telling me my car is covered.

I've also seen some pretty nasty cars being sold by Tesla the last year or so so there's also a chance that that one you posted from Tesla is actually in worse condition. Tough to know so we're just debating theoretical cars at this point.

its hard to compare cars sold else where vs what tesla is offering because we have no idea what condition those cars are in and more so than less, they are damaged cosmetically in one way or another. at least the one from the dealer looks to be in pretty decent shape.

Agreed. Most of my opinion was based on them both being in similar condition which isn't a given especially since we see several photos of the white one that are of fair resolution taken in good lighting conditions. That's more than I can see for 95% of the cars that Tesla sells used currently. For all we know you might be paying a $5k premium for the one from Tesla AND it's beat to crap to get that price.

its an unpopular opinion as most Model S owners are an older generation but without the plus suspension, the car feels like a boat.

it still boggles my mind how they do their models though. you would think a Performance car offering would have upgraded performance parts(including suspension)

i understand you want a more comfy ride but that is where the non-performance models come into play

Ah but you mistake the desire for straight line acceleration with wanting to fling a two ton car onto a curve. We like the performance version of the car for the sight-line acceleration thrill. We will not be racing the car, tracking it, or flinging it around corners at the edge of tire traction. For our needs, we love the current more comfortable suspension. We also prefer the 19" wheels for the same reason.

They are targeting the market of customers who buy $140K premium cars and I bet many are perfectly happy with the current suspension of the Model S.

Don't they have aftermarket options to "tune" the Model S suspension for those who prefer that?

There's no such thing as a Tesla CPO anymore.

You are a warranty guy then. I, however, am not. I hate them. I will not pay extra for one and I will self insure whenever possible. Their sole purpose in life is to make money on people willing to pay for "peace of mind" and the numbers prove this. Most all warranties are a scam and I would MUCH rather have that $5k sitting in an investment for the same couple of years you're telling me my car is covered.

I've also seen some pretty nasty cars being sold by Tesla the last year or so so there's also a chance that that one you posted from Tesla is actually in worse condition. Tough to know so we're just debating theoretical cars at this point.

Agreed. Most of my opinion was based on them both being in similar condition which isn't a given especially since we see several photos of the white one that are of fair resolution taken in good lighting conditions. That's more than I can see for 95% of the cars that Tesla sells used currently. For all we know you might be paying a $5k premium for the one from Tesla AND it's beat to crap to get that price.

My rule about not owning these cars out of warranty comes from my long history of owning premium German cars. I like the peace of mind of not having to shell out thousands in repairs and not even have the option of a second opinion at an independent repair shop. One Mercedes V8 we had needed the entire engine and transmission rebuilt. Those two repairs would have cost us around $15,000K if not for the warranty.

I'm also the guy who has earthquake insurance for his house so I like to insure risk when possible.

This is why I see value in a CPO Tesla with the 4 year CPO warranty. If something goes wrong, I can let Tesla fix it and not be stressed about repair that bills that can easily go into the thousands.

I am glad we now have a third party extended warranty option available for Tesla cars so that dealer-sold Tesla vehicles are now more of a plausible option for people like us who would not want to own one of these cars out of warranty.

Last edited:
My rule about not owning these cars out of warranty comes from my long history of owning premium German cars. I like the peace of mind of not having to shell out thousands in repairs and not even have the option of a second opinion at an independent repair shop.

I'm also the guy who has earthquake insurance for his house so I like to insurance risk when possible.

This is why I see value in a CPO Tesla with the 4 year CPO warranty. If something goes wrong, I can let Tesla fix it and not be stressed about repair that bills that can easily go into the thousands.

I am glad we now have a third party extended warranty option available for Tesla cars so that dealer-sold Tesla vehicles are now more of a plausible option for people like us who would not want to own one of these cars out of warranty.

The bills can easily go into the thousands... if you have Tesla fix it. The most common problem is door handles failing to present and this can be fixed with either a $2 part (gear) or a $3 part (microswitch) so in most cases you can source parts yourself and repair for MUCH cheaper if you don't mind putting in a little bit of elbow grease. I've always been the type who liked working on his own cars because I know what's been done to them so I prefer it this way. Whenever possible I will not pay a premium to have someone else doing lord knows what to my car.

So yeah, I wouldn't want to pay $150k to own one of these out-of-warranty but I have zero problem buying a used one for 1/3 that. The better deals are to had on cars that are either out-of-warranty or nearly out. I have no problem with this as long as I have the opportunity to inspect it thoroughly before purchase to make sure I'm getting a good deal on it despite any repairs it needs.

Much like Vegas, how do you assume insurance companies post record earnings every quarter? Giving you back more money in repairs than you paid? lol

Reactions: Offgrid
The bills can easily go into the thousands... if you have Tesla fix it. The most common problem is door handles failing to present and this can be fixed with either a $2 part (gear) or a $3 part (microswitch) so in most cases you can source parts yourself and repair for MUCH cheaper if you don't mind putting in a little bit of elbow grease. I've always been the type who liked working on his own cars because I know what's been done to them so I prefer it this way. Whenever possible I will not pay a premium to have someone else doing lord knows what to my car.

So yeah, I wouldn't want to pay $150k to own one of these out-of-warranty but I have zero problem buying a used one for 1/3 that. The better deals are to had on cars that are either out-of-warranty or nearly out. I have no problem with this as long as I have the opportunity to inspect it thoroughly before purchase to make sure I'm getting a good deal on it despite any repairs it needs.

Much like Vegas, how do you assume insurance companies post record earnings every quarter? Giving you back more money in repairs than you paid? lol

You know, I am sure State Farms makes a profit every year my house does not burn down but I am happy to pool my money with others so that the customer's whose houses do burn down are covered. I am perfectly fine with this arrangement of paying to pool money to cover those who are unfortunate and suffer a loss while the insurance administrator makes a profit as they should...

The other reason I see value in having a warranty for a Tesla is because they can come up with whatever price they want. Would you feel cheated if they tell you the out of warranty MCU replacement cost is $5,000 for a certain repair? With a warranty, you don;t have to worry about all that.

• Informative
You know, I am sure State Farms makes a profit every year my house does not burn down but I am happy to pool my money with others so that the customer's whose houses do burn down are covered. I am perfectly fine with this arrangement of paying to pool money to cover those who are unfortunate and suffer a loss while the insurance administrator makes a profit as they should...

The other reason I see value in having a warranty for a Tesla is because they can come up with whatever price they want. Would you feel cheated if they tell you the out of warranty MCU replacement cost is $5,000 for a certain repair? With a warranty, you don;t have to worry about all that.
We're talking about a car here though. In your comparison it's 10% to cover the vehicle against set list of repairs for a predetermined period of time. If your home was $500k and you had to pay $50k to cover certain repairs for a few years.... would you? If your answer is yes hit me up offline for some solid investing tips!

Reactions: Cowby and Buddyroe

I agree with your point to an extent. Given that my S has the 8 year unlimited miles drive unit/battery warranty, and it gave me zero issues through 50k miles, I couldn't see paying $4900 ($4700 + $200 for first repair deductible) to insure myself against a potential $7 or $8k in repairs - and it would be more than $4900 if those repairs were over several visits requiring multiple deductible payments.

I'm all for insuring a $500k home for $5k per year, That makes perfect sense. But, paying $4900 to $6k to insure myself for $8k in repairs just isn't a very wise investment IMO. If it were for 8 additional years and 100k additional miles, I'd agree. But the warranty is only another 50k miles. Remember, you said you had to get an engine and tranny rebuilt in your MB - neither of which exist in a Tesla, and their counterparts (sort of) are already covered by an existing warranty.

We're talking about a car here though. In your comparison it's 10% to cover the vehicle against set list of repairs for a predetermined period of time. If your home was $500k and you had to pay $50k to cover certain repairs for a few years.... would you? If your answer is yes hit me up offline for some solid investing tips!

I probably should have finished reading the thread before I replied.

I completely agree. 10% of cost is far too much to pay for a warranty. We added a 7 year unlimited mile warranty to my wife’s Infiniti for about 4% of the cost of the vehicle. I’d rather take the $5k and invest it.

I completely agree. 10% of cost is far too much to pay for a warranty. We added a 7 year unlimited mile warranty to my wife’s Infiniti for about 4% of the cost of the vehicle. I’d rather take the $5k and invest it.

The MCU or half shaft repair cost for a $100K car is the same when it is 5 years old car and worth only $40K as the part and labor cost is the same so what the car is worth has little to do with it as the repair costs more or less stay the same. This is partly why premium cars that are expensive to repair plummet in value once the warranty runs out.

There's no right and wrong answer here. Different choices for people with different appetite for risk. I prefer to insure risk and others may prefer to roll the dice.

The MCU or half shaft repair cost for a $100K car is the same when it is 5 years old car and worth only $40K as the part and labor cost is the same so what the car is worth has little to do with it as the repair costs more or less stay the same. This is partly why premium cars that are expensive to repair plummet in value once the warranty runs out.

There's no right and wrong answer here. Different choices for people with different appetite for risk. I prefer to insure risk and others may prefer to roll the dice.
That's true if you insist on taking it into the dealership, handing them the fob and saying "I have no idea what's going on, just make it work again" which is what far too many car owners are comfortable doing these days.

If I pay $100k for a car that is new the full expectation is that it will include a warranty and I've already paid for the luxury of being lazy and letting them fix whatever the issue is regardless of the repair bill. Some place high value in this. I grew up wrenching on cars and PCs so I have no problem at all doing the work myself so I'm not willing to pay much more for this luxury.

Like most items I own I'd rather pay less and own whatever issues come up so long as I can verify the item prior to purchase is worth whatever I'm paying based on existing condition. If it's a mess but is $15k less than other examples I've looked at it's up to me to determine if I can fix whatever the issues are for that $15k or less with time factored in. That's a pretty simplified way to look at things.

If you have no problem trouble shooting yourself and are fine with fixing 90% of the problems should they come up then insurance/warranties aren't for you. I gave a great example earlier of something that costs a thousand bucks at the dealership and there are four of them on the car that you can fix yourself with a minimal amount of diagnosis and a few bucks in parts. Two hand tools and an hour of your time later you're down the road with it fixed.

The more common the problem the more likely there's several sources online in the form of conversations or videos that show you how to diagnose & repair yourself. What I've found is that I rarely actually need to use a warranty when I have it and almost prefer doing the work myself to know that it's done right. If it's not done right I have myself to blame whereas if someone else does it I don't know what they did to "fix" the issue. I also know that when I work on my own cars I'm going to own them for many many many years and I treat every single part careful with this in mind. I've seen how they "fix" cars at dealership service sometimes and I'm not overly confident that the repair won't result in larger issues down the road. This happens more often than you think.