Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S lower ishaft (u-joint) replacement with pictures, Stiff joint, Stiff steering, protective boot installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to replaced my lower I-shaft on my 2015 Model S 85D, custom job adding the protective boot. My steering was stiff and while I was on auto-pilot it had a play in the steering, about 5 degrees. The play turned out to be that the lower bolt on the lower i-shaft loosened. The stiffness was due to salt getting into the lower u-joint. As the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words" I spared myself from all the typing. I hope this helps someone. I am not responsible for what you do to your vehicle. Just telling my story.

If you want to skip on some fun you can have Tesla do it for you. Lower are the charge times for the service.
20230818_001654.jpg

Lets begin. The parts needed.
20230816_105617.jpg

Cost was about $280 for the ishaft and about $10 for the boot
price list of the ishaft canadian dollars.jpg

20230816_110245.jpg

20230816_110711.jpg

20230816_110938.jpg

20230816_111619.jpg

20230816_111333.jpg

Attachments

• 20230818_001654.jpg
    20230818_001654.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 20230816_111633.jpg
    20230816_111633.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 78
Very informative. Thanks for sharing!

Fortunately Tesla here in the states does a flat $350 (plus tax) USD for both front half-shafts w/labor. Just had that done in our P100D and was quite happy that was all it cost. In years past I was more adventurous and have been known to do stuff like this myself so for people like that this is great information.

Very informative. Thanks for sharing!

Fortunately Tesla here in the states does a flat $350 (plus tax) USD for both front half-shafts w/labor. Just had that done in our P100D and was quite happy that was all it cost. In years past I was more adventurous and have been known to do stuff like this myself so for people like that this is great information.
Does the half shaft include the I-shaft? sorry if the is a silly question, I couldn't find anything in my search. Thanks!

Hey GioTurbatu,

Thanks for all the information! I followed along and swab the old link to a new one.

1. I need to lower the actual Steering Column in order to plug the i-shaft back to the column after replacing the part (u-joint)
(So how did you do it without lowering the Steering Column?)

2. Since I was probably lost with the steering wheel position while disassembling the I-shaft despite marked the joint with marker pen. Now, park assist, stability control and traction control are all gone. I think I have messed up the Steering Angle Sensor. What can I do to re-calibrate?

3. All buttons on the steering wheel including the Horn are gone too. Can you advise on what possibly I have done wrong?

Your information and instructions are spot on! Thanks you very much!

Hey GioTurbatu,

Thanks for all the information! I followed along and swab the old link to a new one.

1. I need to lower the actual Steering Column in order to plug the i-shaft back to the column after replacing the part (u-joint)
(So how did you do it without lowering the Steering Column?)

2. Since I was probably lost with the steering wheel position while disassembling the I-shaft despite marked the joint with marker pen. Now, park assist, stability control and traction control are all gone. I think I have messed up the Steering Angle Sensor. What can I do to re-calibrate?

3. All buttons on the steering wheel including the Horn are gone too. Can you advise on what possibly I have done wrong?

Your information and instructions are spot on! Thanks you very much!
Also, steering assist reduced