Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 to 2020 Model S Frunk Latch Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
>>No I heard about it yesterday from a friend, but that's about it.<<

Yes - me too!
My recall no. 21V00B - I suppose we just wait?
I booked my Model 3 (also affected) into the Service Centre to be checked, as that's what the Tesla site proposed. I received a cancellation back saying that there's no advice on Aust/NZ yet and they'd be in touch if relevant. Sounds like rubbish to me, as there'd be little difference in this case to other markets and they would have been build predominantly in the same place.

I booked my Model 3 (also affected) into the Service Centre to be checked, as that's what the Tesla site proposed. I received a cancellation back saying that there's no advice on Aust/NZ yet and they'd be in touch if relevant. Sounds like rubbish to me, as there'd be little difference in this case to other markets and they would have been build predominantly in the same place.
Model 3 is a problem with the rear camera cable. Model s is a misaligned secondary frunk latch.

Reactions: Punchbuggy
I watched this video with an explainer:
Surprised he dropped the model S hood. Great way to cause and upward dent at the latch.
There is an easier way to test the secondary latch. Lower the hood back down until it comes to a rest on the latch. Then gently push the hood downward until you hear a short motortone. This is the secondary latch. The hood will now not be fully down and also cannot be raised. No screwdriver or cover removal required.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
Looks like the official recall has started, recieved by email:

Tesla has decided to proactively recall certain model year 2014-2021 Model S vehicles for inspection of the frunk's secondary latch. Our records indicate that your vehicle(s), vin xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, may be affected by this recall.​
On these vehicles, the latch assembly may be positioned too far back, preventing the secondary latch from properly engaging the frunk striker. If the frunk is inadvertently released while driving and the secondary latch is not engaged, the frunk may open without warning and obstruct the driver's visibility. If the frunk is inadvertently released, the driver will receive an alert on the user interface. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries relating to this condition.​
Please schedule a service appointment using the Tesla app by selecting ‘Service’> ‘Request Service’ > ‘Other’ > ‘Something Else’ and in the ‘Describe Concern’ field, enter “Open Recall Repair – MS Frunk secondary Latch & Striker". At your appointment, Tesla Service will inspect your vehicle and perform any necessary repairs, free of charge.​
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologise for this inconvenience.​

I was thinking more about checking the tolerances of the fit with the frunk open. From what was said by aegidius I would have thought that if all that needed doing was checking the latch engaged even marginally they could have invited you to do that 10 sec check yourself and if necessary tell them you'd done it and were happy. It's a 6 hr round trip for me and a bit of a flog just for a superficial check!

I was thinking more about checking the tolerances of the fit with the frunk open. From what was said by aegidius I would have thought that if all that needed doing was checking the latch engaged even marginally they could have invited you to do that 10 sec check yourself and if necessary tell them you'd done it and were happy. It's a 6 hr round trip for me and a bit of a flog just for a superficial check!
I’ve done the self checks (two different methods) and will let tesla repeat those when I’m there for another issue sometime in the future. Havn’t been to the SC in ages. 6 hours is a waste of a day for something that will likely be a non-issue.

Reactions: Wol747
Mobile service came to me - it was no inconvenience at all. They said they had several in the nearby neighbourhood to check. They know people can check it themselves but want to tick it off on their records, as expected for an official recall.