Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Telsa Model S85 - 3,715 Miles - No AP - Los Angeles - $55k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
deaddog: To keep the thread accurate, your suspecting is not correct. ;)

View attachment 278289

think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about the extended warranty (ESA), not about supercharging. I believe that free supercharging on pre-2017 cars always follows the car, regardless of ownership.

But, as for extended warranty, my understanding is that if a car is ever owned by anybody other than an individual private party (for example, a dealer), then that car is never eligible to purchase an ESA. Do you disagree with this statement?

And, on a related note, did your "broker" set up a deal between you and a private party in which the title transferred directly from that private party to you? If so, I suspect there is no impact on ESA eligibility. But every broker I've dealt with is either hawking cars owned by dealerships, leasing companies, and/or the brokerage company itself.

think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about the extended warranty (ESA), not about supercharging. I believe that free supercharging on pre-2017 cars always follows the car, regardless of ownership.

But, as for extended warranty, my understanding is that if a car is ever owned by anybody other than an individual private party (for example, a dealer), then that car is never eligible to purchase an ESA. Do you disagree with this statement?

And, on a related note, did your "broker" set up a deal between you and a private party in which the title transferred directly from that private party to you? If so, I suspect there is no impact on ESA eligibility. But every broker I've dealt with is either hawking cars owned by dealerships, leasing companies, and/or the brokerage company itself.

You're absolutely correct deaddog, they are two different things! When I received my package from the broker, there was an offer to purchase the extended warranty, for the original owner I assume, but I wasn't interested given the car had another year of factory warranty left to shake out any issues. I did experience a defective tire sensor and 17" display flicker. Both replaced under original warranty.

You're absolutely correct deaddog, they are two different things! When I received my package from the broker, there was an offer to purchase the extended warranty, for the original owner I assume, but I wasn't interested given the car had another year of factory warranty left to shake out any issues. I did experience a defective tire sensor and 17" display flicker. Both replaced under original warranty.

So, the broker set you up with a private party sale? That is very cool - I've never seen that before. Was it a publicly advertised sale or was it more like a "pocket listing" in the real estate field - only available to those "in the know.?

So, the broker set you up with a private party sale? That is very cool - I've never seen that before. Was it a publicly advertised sale or was it more like a "pocket listing" in the real estate field - only available to those "in the know.?

Ok, I just got an email back from my service advisor after specifically asking about purchasing an ESA for my current S85. What a surprise!
He said I COULD NOT purchase an ESA because my car was originally procured as a CPO. He stated, "Granted it isn’t as much coverage as the ESA would be, however it is up to 70,979 miles, or 21-november-2021."

He also stated that subsequent owners CANNOT purchase an ESA for a car that Tesla could not confirm is certified.

To be fair, I suspect that your car is not eligible for an extended warranty because it passed through a broker, which I suspect Tesla treats like a dealer. OP's car is a single owner which means its still eligible for ESA, assuming its not past the four years. That is a significant value - whether its enough to cover the price spread (plus the cost of the ESA) is another question....

Yes, it is a value if the original owner buys the Extended Service Agreement.

He also stated that subsequent owners CANNOT purchase an ESA for a car that Tesla could not confirm is certified.

Note that ESA and CPO are two different things - there are many threads about the differences. Private owners can't get their car CPO'ed - you can only get a CPO car by buying it as a CPO car from Tesla. Private owners, however, can get an ESA for their car.

I am close to 100% certain that subsequent owners can purchase an ESA for any Tesla that (i) is still in original warranty (less than 4 years and 50K miles from original in-service date) and (ii) has always been titled in the name of private individuals, not dealers (or Tesla, in the case of CPO). It used to be that only the original owner could buy the ESA but it has been confirmed repeatedly that, as of the past year or so, subsequent owners can buy the ESA if the car meets condition (i) and (ii).

If this information about subsequent owners obtaining ESA is not accurate, I (and I suspect many others on this forum) would love to know.

Reactions: adrianmh
Now I am really confused !! CPO stands for certified pre-owned, a warranty covering all parts and labor for failed as such and usually only offered by the mfg. ESA stands for extended SERVICE agreement, and just that, service only on said vehicle for a specified period of time. So what do you call a warranty that has the similar coverage of a CPO but is an extended warranty on the failed parts and labor of the vehicle after the original mfg. warranty has expired but is not actually a CPO ?

Now I am really confused !! CPO stands for certified pre-owned, a warranty covering all parts and labor for failed as such and usually only offered by the mfg. ESA stands for extended SERVICE agreement, and just that, service only on said vehicle for a specified period of time. So what do you call a warranty that has the similar coverage of a CPO but is an extended warranty on the failed parts and labor of the vehicle after the original mfg. warranty has expired but is not actually a CPO ?

Tesla's nomenclature is confusing but the ESA is what you're looking for - a bumper to bumper extended warranty. There are some differences from the CPO that you can find discussed in the forum but, generally, they are the same thing .

Tesla's nomenclature is confusing but the ESA is what you're looking for - a bumper to bumper extended warranty. There are some differences from the CPO that you can find discussed in the forum but, generally, they are the same thing .

You are exactly right.

Maintenance Plans = Service and car maintenance

Extended Service Agreement ( ESA) = The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.

Original Warranty should go until 05/18 as you can see from CARFAX registration.

ESA upgrade available for serious cash buyers.

Attachments

• carfax1.jpg
    carfax1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 56
  • carfax2.jpg
    carfax2.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 45
Can you post a photo of the screen showing miles at maximum charge - I'm still trying to get my arms around the 305 so I'd like to see it if its not too much trouble.

thanks
He would need to switch to Rated Range to give you a number that is relevant to what you are expecting.

Assuming the 305 is Ideal Range then his Rated Range at 100% should be 263 miles (i.e. very little degradation from the 265 original).

Reactions: adrianmh