Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 HV battery replacement options -- need perspective.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No but here is another tip: If you end every submission with a question mark (regardless of you actually asking a question), it will be a red flag if the advisor dismisses a question without a response.

My prior service rep knew about this so they just copy-pasted the prior response, even if it doesn't really answer the question. And after working with another SC, I found that the answer is not correct since I had the option to select a new or remanuf pack.

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 4.45.12 PM.png

ok new update, my service rep at dublin told me the manager at dublin is basically stupid, which i pretty much already knew that. he talked to the service center at berkeley and they are fully aware of the situation, they scheduled me an appointment for early december and they will order me the correct battery.
he talked to the same guy ddb1001 told me to talk to.
makes me wish i didnt deal with dublin to begin with, but oh well, maybe they will learn something from this. at least this gives me another month to hope my current battery goes bad before warranty ends early next year.

Update: the new 1014116-00-C pack installed end of August 2022 showed 297/298 miles range at 100% SOC when brand new. Now, with 10,600 miles on the battery, I charged to 100% to see range and it showed 292, so there is about 2% degradation. Charging has been roughly 60% at home at 20 - 40 amps, and 40% supercharging. Supercharging currently shows initially about 104 kW and just under 400 miles per hour, then slowly tapers down from there. I'm still a happy camper.

Update: the new 1014116-00-C pack installed end of August 2022 showed 297/298 miles range at 100% SOC when brand new. Now, with 10,600 miles on the battery, I charged to 100% to see range and it showed 292, so there is about 2% degradation. Charging has been roughly 60% at home at 20 - 40 amps, and 40% supercharging. Supercharging currently shows initially about 104 kW and just under 400 miles per hour, then slowly tapers down from there. I'm still a happy camper.
Glad your happy. Same here with mine. Did you go full 90 kWh on the new pack?

Glad your happy. Same here with mine. Did you go full 90 kWh on the new pack?
Yes, it's a 90 kWh pack. Tesla software rebadged my car on the screens as a "P90" which was a happy little surprise.

I'm beginning to look at back-up batteries for my house and the solar array soon to be installed. Interestingly, a 16 kWh pack from LG costs between $8000 - $11,000. Maybe I'm missing something, but that starts to make the $18,000 price tag for the 90 kWh pack for my car seem like a good deal.

Yes, it's a 90 kWh pack. Tesla software rebadged my car on the screens as a "P90" which was a happy little surprise.

I'm beginning to look at back-up batteries for my house and the solar array soon to be installed. Interestingly, a 16 kWh pack from LG costs between $8000 - $11,000. Maybe I'm missing something, but that starts to make the $18,000 price tag for the 90 kWh pack for my car seem like a good deal.
You're right. I had no concern paying $15k for my new 90 kWh (corked to 85 kWh). I also have a Prius Prime. According to several Toyota Dealer websites, a new 8.8 kWh (yes eight point eight) HV is between $8-11K NOT including labor. Tesla's HV battery is a bargain.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Droschke

At the time I bought my tesla powerwall it was 5500 per powerwall. They quoted me around 10k for 1 installed and 21k for 3 installed. Ever since purchasing it I wish I got 3, and now the prices of the powerwalls have only gone up. But yeah. If I knew how to repurpose my 85kw battery pack for the house it would be a steal but I don't know how to do that

Reactions: ElectricIAC
At the time I bought my tesla powerwall it was 5500 per powerwall. They quoted me around 10k for 1 installed and 21k for 3 installed. Ever since purchasing it I wish I got 3, and now the prices of the powerwalls have only gone up. But yeah. If I knew how to repurpose my 85kw battery pack for the house it would be a steal but I don't know how to do that

I think it's all about scalability where I'd imagine there are multiples more Tesla battery packs produced and sold for vehicle use that for structure power backup and so the price is accordingly. There are several YouTube videos of folks building their own residential power storage using recycled Tesla modules, lead-acid batteries, and even discarded laptop batteries. Believe it or not but there's even a Republican congressman who has a series on YouTube about his journey from upgrading his lead-acid battery bank to Tesla modules.

I hope to build out a backup battery bank for the house and one day an electric-sailing catamaran. Someone did that with a used 40ft Lagoon using OceanVolt servo props down in San Diego and the boat is available for charter. According from what I read, the batteries are recharged by shore power/solar power (trickle)/hydro-generation. Similar to our cars regeneration, the boat regenerates under sail with a ratio of 3:1. 3 hours of sailing with >8kts of wind will generate enough electricity to operate the electric motors for 1 hour. That's a pretty amazing ratio.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think it's all about scalability where I'd imagine there are multiples more Tesla battery packs produced and sold for vehicle use that for structure power backup and so the price is accordingly. There are several YouTube videos of folks building their own residential power storage using recycled Tesla modules, lead-acid batteries, and even discarded laptop batteries. Believe it or not but there's even a Republican congressman who has a series on YouTube about his journey from upgrading his lead-acid battery bank to Tesla modules.

I hope to build out a backup battery bank for the house and one day an electric-sailing catamaran. Someone did that with a used 40ft Lagoon using OceanVolt servo props down in San Diego and the boat is available for charter. According from what I read, the batteries are recharged by shore power/solar power (trickle)/hydro-generation. Similar to our cars regeneration, the boat regenerates under sail with a ratio of 3:1. 3 hours of sailing with >8kts of wind will generate enough electricity to operate the electric motors for 1 hour. That's a pretty amazing ratio.

Too late for me to edit but I made some adjustments to fix some errors.

I think it's all about scalability where I'd imagine there are multiples more Tesla battery packs produced and sold for vehicle use compared to structure power backup and so the price is accordingly. There are several YouTube videos of folks building their own residential power storage using recycled Tesla modules, lead-acid batteries, and even discarded laptop batteries. Believe it or not but there's even a Republican congressman who has a series on YouTube about his journey from upgrading his lead-acid battery bank to Tesla modules.

I hope to build out a backup battery bank for the house and one day an electric-sailing catamaran. Someone did that with a used 40ft Leopard using OceanVolt ServoProps down in San Diego and the boat is available for charter. According from what I read, the batteries are recharged by shore power/solar power (trickle)/hydro-generation. Similar to our cars regeneration, the boat regenerates under sail with a ratio of 3:1. Three hours of sailing with >8kts of wind will generate enough electricity to operate the electric motors for 1 hour. The hull(s) shape, displacement, draft, keels, and rudders are major factors in limiting the top speed of any sailboat and so hydro-generation has effectively zero reduction on speed given the power of a 15 ton vessel driven by 1,032 sq ft of sails. That's a pretty amazing ratio.

You have an 85kwh pack laying around? Here are a couple of inspirational videos of people that have used tesla batteries for solar storage:

If you have questions I can help.

No I didn't pay to keep the old battery, but I'll probably still watch the videos and kick myself in the ass for not keeping it
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. There are always people selling the modules on eBay. This allows buying only the amount of modules you need instead of having 16 modules and only needing 8.
*edit* It would be really cool to say that your solar batteries powered your car then were recycled to power your house, but that's not important to many people. Although I think it is pretty cool.

Reactions: maximizese
Not to side-track this discussion, but just curious if this might have lead to the issue at hand:
Car sat unused, unplugged, outdoors in summer heat for six weeks until a week ago and lost most of its charge during that period but had no issues charging to 85% after that.
I have always thought that it is best to leave it plugged in, at 80% max charge for daily use.

Thoughts? WK057?

…I have always thought that it is best to leave it plugged in, at 80% max charge for daily use.

Thoughts? WK057?
Let’s not bug Jason on that. He’s got new batteries to design for us. I’m pretty sure 80% to drive and 50% to store are great numbers.

I’ve been going to 90% for 120,000 miles without a hiccup.

Last edited: