Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Tire reco for range and efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks - I think I am going to pass on 22” rims and instead grab a set of used 20” slipstreams and powder coat black. I will be towing a fair bit so too risky going to 22” and we are pretty tame drivers.

what is the best replacement tire out there for efficiency and comfort? Are the oem continentals still the best or have Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and others caught up? Any real examples of wh/mi improvements?

89264AC8-E8C5-4110-9162-9CADB115F6D4.jpeg

No issue here with the stock/factory LX Sports on my black slipstreams. I haven’t towed anything but they perform as expected being an all-season.

Hi folks - I think I am going to pass on 22” rims and instead grab a set of used 20” slipstreams and powder coat black. I will be towing a fair bit so too risky going to 22” and we are pretty tame drivers.

what is the best replacement tire out there for efficiency and comfort? Are the oem continentals still the best or have Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and others caught up? Any real examples of wh/mi improvements?

You will get many folks chiming in here, saying that the OEM Continentals are crap. But that has not been my experience. I expected to get 30,000 miles (50,000 km), Ended up at 35,000 (58,000) km. I had about 6mm tread depth, until I a wandered into a contest involving a roadside brick (the brick prevailed), ending my quest for 40,000.

One other factor is convenience, Tesla sells only the Continentals (for 20 inch). Although they perhaps would install a non-conti But you have to get the replacement to them. So that means you are doing the running around, and getting the outside shop ship a new tire to Tesla or pick it up yourself and carry it to the SC. I suspect the reason for that is the Contis, are very energy efficient and quiet. If you ever need emergency road service. The roadside guy probably has a spare, and will take your tire to SC for free. It is majorly convenient to have the same tires Tesla sells. It would be real pain to involve an outside tire shop,

It also depends on how far away the SC is. I am only 15-20 minutes away from mine. That made it a no brainer (for me) to stick with OEM Continentals. Tesla will only service tires they actually sell. If I was a hundred miles away from the SC, I might have not made the same decision.

Don't forget, a quality alignment is essential, for maximum life and lowest energy consumption.

I replaced my stock continentals after 20,000 miles since the treads were getting thin and I was planning to go on several road trips the following few months. They probably had another 5,000 miles left in them but I didn't want to take any chances on my road trips.

I replaced them with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S for about $1000 and the difference was immediately noticeable. A much smoother ride and way less road noise when cruising on the freeway. I can't comment on winter handling since I haven't been up to the mountains yet, but from what I've read they handle reasonably well in winter conditions for A/S tires. I would definitely recommend them.

• Informative
Reactions: TheGringoShow
I just purchased new 20" tires for my Model X. I went with a relatively new tire from Nexen, "Roadian GTX". They cost me $571 for the set, plus $60 installation locally. More than half price of the OEM Conti tires. I took a 400 mile road trip with them yesterday and they are very quiet and give a nice ride with excellent wet road grip. 70k mile tires (we'll see about that...). They're supposed to be very energy efficient, as well, but I can't give a judgment on that aspect yet due to very windy weather conditions I was driving in yesterday. Good looking tire, too. I'm (so far) very pleased with my find and I'll update with any additional info. Purchased from CWO Tires and Wheels. You'll get a better deal than their website by actually buying from them on eBay because you can find them sold in "pairs" there at a slightly better price. Bought them Monday, and they were delivered Wednesday.
nexen.jpg

Thanks for the information. I am always looking for "more efficient" to help extend the range. I travel mostly on the highway with cruise set on 75-80 mph so the speed kills the range some, so always looking for something to help. I was lucky getting a good deal on my first set of OEM Conti replacements but will be looking for something else when this set goes. How many miles did you get on your OEM's and can you post a shot of the side of the Nexen tire?

I just purchased new 20" tires for my Model X. I went with a relatively new tire from Nexen, "Roadian GTX". They cost me $571 for the set, plus $60 installation locally. More than half price of the OEM Conti tires. I took a 400 mile road trip with them yesterday and they are very quiet and give a nice ride with excellent wet road grip. 70k mile tires (we'll see about that...). They're supposed to be very energy efficient, as well, but I can't give a judgment on that aspect yet due to very windy weather conditions I was driving in yesterday. Good looking tire, too. I'm (so far) very pleased with my find and I'll update with any additional info. Purchased from CWO Tires and Wheels. You'll get a better deal than their website by actually buying from them on eBay because you can find them sold in "pairs" there at a slightly better price. Bought them Monday, and they were delivered Wednesday.
View attachment 628045
Thanks for the information!
C3CE9A4D-ABE2-4899-AF28-25C70C8B83B7.png

Thanks for the information. I am always looking for "more efficient" to help extend the range. I travel mostly on the highway with cruise set on 75-80 mph so the speed kills the range some, so always looking for something to help. I was lucky getting a good deal on my first set of OEM Conti replacements but will be looking for something else when this set goes. How many miles did you get on your OEM's and can you post a shot of the side of the Nexen tire?
Here you go. Apologies for the dirty tires/wheels. Nasty weather yesterday.
atire.jpg