Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2 Week Review - M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang.. so I've had my car (m3lr) for about 2 weeks and thought I'd give you my review so far. I was super excited like all of you but trust me, your day will come. My goal is here to manage your expectations for delivery. Here's what I have for you:

I took delivery on June 28th. There were no immediate problems with my car that I noticed. I didn't look at it with a microscope, so who knows if there's some gaps here and there, overall it looked fine. The ONLY issue I had was the center arm rest console between the driver and passenger seat had some play to it. So everytime I put my arm on it, it sits as if there was a millimeter space between the latch and the hook. It can be a little annoying, as if you constantly move your arm onto/off of it, it will make a slight click sound. More on this later....

The Good - the driving is nice, smooth, and a bit sport if you set it up to be. braking feels good, nothing out of the usual. Phone key is great, just walk towards/away and it locks/unlocks (never had an issue, yet). Seats feel good to me, a little on the firm side and that's what I prefer. Autopilot (i did not get FSD) is really great, took me only 2-3 days to finally trust it, and now I trust it somewhat dangerously (dont text and drive, friends). Infotainment is wonderful, no complaints there other than some glitches with the TuneIn app, oh well.

The Bad - center arm rest console doesn't fully sit. I have a total of 3 rattles in the car, 2 on the dashboard (each side) and one on the driver side pillar (more of a ticking sound). It is super annoying. I called service for the center arm rest console and the guy told me "they're all like that". I find that REALLY hard to believe. Then he attempted to look for the rattling in the driver side pillar, took apart the whole damn thing including the seal. when he put it back together, he didn't do it properly and now i hear A LOT of road noise. if i wash the car, water will get inside. thank god we haven't had any rain in california yet. i took it in the service, they said they have to wait 2 weeks to get a new seal.

Overall, was I excited? hell yea. how do i feel now? like tesla seriously needs to work on their build quality. even my buddies that have teslas have visiting the service center 4-5 times in less than a year from receiving their car. please manage your expectations because it can really, really make you feel down once (not if, but when) you notice something iffy with the car. my drive to work sounds like this "TICKTICKTICK PSHHHHHHHHHHHHH TICK TICK TICK PSHH TIPSHHHHHHCKKKK" from the window seal AND the rattling from all over the vehicle.

would i buy another tesla again? as of now, probably not. if they haven't improved on their build quality, then most definitely not. i am REALLY glad that the car cost $52k because if this was a plaid or even an S or X, I would be losing my *&!@ right about now.

i am REALLY glad that the car cost $52k because if this was a plaid or even an S or X, I would be losing my *&!@ right about now.
I always wondered how/why people are willing to spend over $100k for the Model S/X considering the quality control and overall build quality of the interior/exterior. I understand that it's one of the few EVs with that kind of performance and practicality but at $100k+, you can have pretty much any car that has a reputation for quality and refinement (e.g., Porsche Taycan, Mercedes EQS, BMW iX).

I had a few quality issues at the start and after those were fixed, its been 3 years of bliss since. Keep in mind that with Tesla, you have a lot of options to customize as there are a ton of 3rd party accessories. Good luck and happy motoring.

I always wondered how/why people are willing to spend over $100k for the Model S/X considering the quality control and overall build quality of the interior/exterior. I understand that it's one of the few EVs with that kind of performance and practicality but at $100k+, you can have pretty much any car that has a reputation for quality and refinement (e.g., Porsche Taycan, Mercedes EQS, BMW iX).
I hear you... About 2 months ago I bought a 2020 911 S for 130k... There's NO WAY the plaid even comes close to the type of car a Porsche is. Forget the 0-60 or the ICE for that matter; when you sit in a 130k, it better feel and look like a 130k car.

I saw a youtube video not too long ago of a guy getting his plaid. The door was falling apart, etc... jeez, I'd be super pissed off.

Reactions: phaheem
For some, myself included, priorities differ to the point that other considerations take precedence. For instance, I’d never buy a car that I couldn’t road trip with. While I own several cars, I’d want to have the choice.

yup. at Model S pricing I would go Mercedes EQS 450+ (422 miles in real world range Edmunds test....) any day of the week....

Reactions: drewsky
For some, myself included, priorities differ to the point that other considerations take precedence. For instance, I’d never buy a car that I couldn’t road trip with. While I own several cars, I’d want to have the choice.
as tested by Edmunds... the Mercedes EQS 450+ got 422 miles in real world range and *easily* beat the EPA estimate by quite a bit. Now... don't tell me that ~400 miles of range between charges isn't a roadtrip car? That's a lot of driving between EA chargers... for e.g. I could do Dallas - Taos/NM with just one stop in Amarillo with that car

All of these posts are opinions based on preference.

The person that wants to road trip and finer quality gets the EQS, the person that wants the acceleration gets the Plaid, end of the story. There really is no point in arguing or discussing this as it is based on what that particular individual's wants and needs at that point and time in their life.

Last edited:
The EQS was first on my list but it was very hard to come by. Dealers in my area were marking it up 15-20k, and that's not going to fly with me. Not sure where the comparison of autopilots are between Tesla and Mercedes, but it sure does make driving long distances a lot more comfortable.

All of these posts are opinions based on preference.

The person that wants to road trip and finer quality gets the EQS, the person that wants the acceleration gets the Plaid, end of the story. There really is no point in arguing or discussing this as it is based on what that particular individual's wants and needs at that point and time in their life.
I mean a Taycan Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and has fit/finish matching that price point

Do you think autopilot/FSD is what gives Tesla an edge?
At the Plaid price? nah. Its much much much much much much faster than the Taycan Turbo S so they can charge the ridiculous premium for it. There is a bigger difference in speed between the Turbo S and Plaid than there is between the Turbo S and Model 3 Performance. The efficiency is also better in the Plaid...you can get 300 miles of real world range when driven conservatively and the software is much better in Teslas. Other than those factors, the Taycan's other attributes are probably better.

I have the driver B pillar rattle/vibration and I found if I grab the seatbelt adjuster it stops, so it's clearly something there. Haven't had a chance to start figuring out which components are making contact, but I'm thinking a strip or two of thin foam should remedy.

Reactions: drewsky
At the Plaid price? nah. Its much much much much much much faster than the Taycan Turbo S so they can charge the ridiculous premium for it. There is a bigger difference in speed between the Turbo S and Plaid than there is between the Turbo S and Model 3 Performance. The efficiency is also better in the Plaid...you can get 300 miles of real world range when driven conservatively and the software is much better in Teslas. Other than those factors, the Taycan's other attributes are probably better.
This. Also the Model S is much more practical than a Taycan. The Taycan really feels like a big (BIG!) sports car inside, for good and bad. Very different feeling car from a Model S despite spec similarities on paper.

If you want to fit adults in the back seat, or do any serious cargo hauling, or even just take an elderly person with limited mobility in the front passenger seat...the Taycan won't cut it. On the flip side I don't doubt the Taycan is more fun on a twisty road than the S (Plaid or otherwise). (I've only sat in a Taycan Turbo, never driven any Taycan.)

Hey gang.. so I've had my car (m3lr) for about 2 weeks and thought I'd give you my review so far. I was super excited like all of you but trust me, your day will come. My goal is here to manage your expectations for delivery. Here's what I have for you:

I took delivery on June 28th. There were no immediate problems with my car that I noticed. I didn't look at it with a microscope, so who knows if there's some gaps here and there, overall it looked fine. The ONLY issue I had was the center arm rest console between the driver and passenger seat had some play to it. So everytime I put my arm on it, it sits as if there was a millimeter space between the latch and the hook. It can be a little annoying, as if you constantly move your arm onto/off of it, it will make a slight click sound. More on this later....

The Good - the driving is nice, smooth, and a bit sport if you set it up to be. braking feels good, nothing out of the usual. Phone key is great, just walk towards/away and it locks/unlocks (never had an issue, yet). Seats feel good to me, a little on the firm side and that's what I prefer. Autopilot (i did not get FSD) is really great, took me only 2-3 days to finally trust it, and now I trust it somewhat dangerously (dont text and drive, friends). Infotainment is wonderful, no complaints there other than some glitches with the TuneIn app, oh well.

The Bad - center arm rest console doesn't fully sit. I have a total of 3 rattles in the car, 2 on the dashboard (each side) and one on the driver side pillar (more of a ticking sound). It is super annoying. I called service for the center arm rest console and the guy told me "they're all like that". I find that REALLY hard to believe. Then he attempted to look for the rattling in the driver side pillar, took apart the whole damn thing including the seal. when he put it back together, he didn't do it properly and now i hear A LOT of road noise. if i wash the car, water will get inside. thank god we haven't had any rain in california yet. i took it in the service, they said they have to wait 2 weeks to get a new seal.

Overall, was I excited? hell yea. how do i feel now? like tesla seriously needs to work on their build quality. even my buddies that have teslas have visiting the service center 4-5 times in less than a year from receiving their car. please manage your expectations because it can really, really make you feel down once (not if, but when) you notice something iffy with the car. my drive to work sounds like this "TICKTICKTICK PSHHHHHHHHHHHHH TICK TICK TICK PSHH TIPSHHHHHHCKKKK" from the window seal AND the rattling from all over the vehicle.

would i buy another tesla again? as of now, probably not. if they haven't improved on their build quality, then most definitely not. i am REALLY glad that the car cost $52k because if this was a plaid or even an S or X, I would be losing my *&!@ right about now.
So, 3 rattles and you wouldn't buy another? mkay.

I live 3hrs away from a Service Center. I've been once, in 3 ½yrs, because I had the seat restraint error notification, but otherwise, it's been pretty solid. Any little quibbles, I try to figure out myself, because I know service departments are in a hurry, the techs aren't exactly rocket scientists, and often they do more harm than good. I don't care if they're responsible, I'd rather take a chance to figure it out myself, first, because I know I'll likely do a more careful job of it. If I can't figure it out, I'll then let the Service Center have a chance. That's not Tesla-specific, but every manufacturer and dealer I've ever dealt with, MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Saab, etc.

Dash rattles, I use a spudger and stick it between the glass and dash material, until I find where the rattle or squeak or whatever is. If that doesn't work, there are instructions on how to remove the dash top material. People do it all the time to replace the wood strip, etc. It's not rocket science. You can use a tone generator app on your phone to help ID the rattle location, etc. That's the sort of stuff this forum is good for, asking people questions. As for the ticking sound on the B-pillar, it's not uncommon for the seat belt mechanism to make a noise. Remove the trim on the inside and investigate.

Do you think autopilot/FSD is what gives Tesla an edge?
Not anymore. It seems that other automakers have caught up, if not passed, Tesla's autopilot (GM's super cruise is consistently highly praised) and even the more rudimentary driver assistance software (i.e., the kind that keep you in your lane and at a safe distance from other cars) seem to have less complaints about "phantom braking" or keeping you in the lane (e.g., Kia/Hyundai, Volvo/Polestar).