Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old Model Y rear hatch glass and roof glass not aligning correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this imperfection today. Did not catch this during delivery 2 weeks ago. As you can see, both ends of the rear hatch align with the roof glass perfectly. But there’s this one section of the rear hatch that appears to be higher than the roof glass (covered up the light in the picture). You can’t tell from the side. But it’s very visible under light when you staring it straight from the rear. I have a mobile service coming up next week for something else, is this something they can fix during mobile visit?

Attachments

• 44562B23-C0A3-4B1B-830C-567C585BBCDD.jpeg
    44562B23-C0A3-4B1B-830C-567C585BBCDD.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 823
Welcome to Tesla world. Based on the very not clear picture of yours seems "within spec", but i could be wrong. Submit a ticket and go from there. My friend's MY got his replaced due to misalignment, but it was way more severe like more than half of the length was sticking out.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
mines the same way but at the corner and actually far worse than yours, pointed it out to them and they made note of it but we decided just to keep an eye out , its been 10k miles no issues and they were able to mount my racks as well

This my roof. Had them come by to install the Roof Racks and it was a no go.
2mm or less on one side 7.5mm on the other side. Suppose to take it in
on the 18th. Hatch is a little out on one side but everything else seems good.
Love all the Tech and the way it Drives other wise. I looked and went down the checklist but I was pretty burned out by the time I got it. I think you need somebody else to check it out to much Emotion wrapped up in getting it.

Attachments

• Left Side from front.jpg
    Left Side from front.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 446
  • Right side from front.jpg
    Right side from front.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 369
Noticed this imperfection today. Did not catch this during delivery 2 weeks ago. As you can see, both ends of the rear hatch align with the roof glass perfectly. But there’s this one section of the rear hatch that appears to be higher than the roof glass (covered up the light in the picture). You can’t tell from the side. But it’s very visible under light when you staring it straight from the rear. I have a mobile service coming up next week for something else, is this something they can fix during mobile visit?
How did you end up handling this? I have a delivery of my MYP scheduled for tomorrow and I noticed a similar thing.

If you got it you got it. I have and appointment on the 18th to get the thing fixed
which means taking the existing glass roof off and realigning it. I am not encourgaged by some of the things I am reading on here about service but
maybe only those that have had problems with it complain. It wouldn't be so bad but I am 40 miles from any service center on and on my own for tranportation back home sort of . There are three Service Centers 40 miles from me , all equally distant but not equally easy to get to. If you are further than that you will have problems. I was told they where really backed up from the end of a quarter deliverys and had pulled techs back to Fremont to meet demand. Also they want you to everything over the app which I do not fully know how to use in regards to service. If you take it document everything. I would take some of those cheap gap tools you can get off Amazon . If you are having or thinking about putting on a rack
have them do it . I wish you could order one with a Rack Installed so I wouldn't
have to deal with this. I had the low price before they raised it 2k and really the car did look good compared to the gross stuff I had seen on other cars. Thing is
I live in a surfing town and the rack is not a fashion statement for me and I don't Short Board or Foil though the shorter windsurf board will fit up the middle .

So ordered the rack and it got to me in week . Took another week to get the service tech to come by to install the rack . Tech and I looked at it said he could not install the rack took a picture and set it to service on Mar 31 . They sent me
a date of 18th to bring it in.

Last edited:
If you got it you got it. I have and appointment on the 18th to get the thing fixed
which means taking the existing glass roof off and realigning it. I am not encourgaged by some of the things I am reading on here about service but
maybe only those that have had problems with it complain. It wouldn't be so bad but I am 40 miles from any service center on and on my own for tranportation back home sort of . There are three Service Centers 40 miles from me , all equally distant but not equally easy to get to. If you are further than that you will have problems. I was told they where really backed up from the end of a quarter deliverys and had pulled techs back to Fremont to meet demand. Also they want you to everything over the app which I do not fully know how to use in regards to service. If you take it document everything. I would take some of those cheap gap tools you can get off Amazon . If you are having or thinking about putting on a rack
have them do it . I wish you could order one with a Rack Installed so I wouldn't
have to deal with this. I had the low price before they raised it 2k and really the car did look good compared to the gross stuff I had seen on other cars. Thing is
I live in a surfing town and the rack is not a fashion statement for me and I don't Short Board or Foil though the shorter windsurf board will fit up the middle .

So ordered the rack and it got to me in week . Took another week to get the service tech to come by to install the rack . Tech and I looked at it said he could not install the rack took a picture and set it to service on Mar 31 . They sent me
a date of 18th to bring it in. I was having some FOMO about Hardware 4 but on the other hand I didn't want to pay for 6 dollar a gallon gas in a car that gets 16 mpg in town this summer or wait in the gas lines at Costco. )6 325 xi wagon with manual trans. I still like that car but it doesn't have much tech not even a backup camera. But I can still Windsurf and Standup SUP surf out of it.

And no they can't do glass or body alignments during a Mobile service ( as far as I know but I am new to this)but
they can document it and call to relay the info. Order the Roof Racks and then
have them mount them for a service appointment.

Ok now I feel stupid. Tryed to add something to the problem report and they moved the date back two days and switched me to Gilroy. So I drove over to Gilroy and the manager said something was fishy. The glass is pegged and cannot be out line. He offered to put them on and within about a half hour they were on. They gave the car
a couple of shakes from either side and it is on there solid .

I mentioned the name of the field tech and they kind of laughed.

Reactions: thefisch
How did you end up handling this? I have a delivery of my MYP scheduled for tomorrow and I noticed a similar thing.
nothing. 1, i found out too late, it was past the initial 100 mile. 2. per Tesla service tech, even if they take it in for replacement, it's a crapshoot that the next glass will be perfect. Tesla don't make these glasses, they just install them. i noticed the same imperfection on the rear glass on my neighbor's new Y as well. i will just try to ignore it for now, and plus i already paid for the tint. as long as not leaking water and wind, i'm good with it for now.

Yeah I thought about it awhile and bought some gap gauges and reaffirmed the
initial measurement at 7 mm and 2mm in the front and more even in the back so it's skewed. They installed the rack which was my mane concern but it's kind of crappy
that they do this . Regardless of who makes the glass they should meet a minimum spec and you should be able to gap the equally when you put them on . Some kind of spacer to hold them apart and equal amount when gluing them should just be good Engineering.

Attachments

• 20230410_114519.jpg
    20230410_114519.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 378
Reactions: Dracaris
This my roof. Had them come by to install the Roof Racks and it was a no go.
2mm or less on one side 7.5mm on the other side. Suppose to take it in
on the 18th. Hatch is a little out on one side but everything else seems good.
Love all the Tech and the way it Drives other wise. I looked and went down the checklist but I was pretty burned out by the time I got it. I think you need somebody else to check it out to much Emotion wrapped up in getting it.
I have exactly the same misalignment issue with the glass roof on my 2023 Model YLR built in Fremont, and took it in to the local Tesla SC for them to have a look. I suspect they'll give the "within spec" response, but we shall see, and for me the most important issue was to get the complaint on record in case something goes wrong with the roof later on (leaks? glass cracking under stress? who knows?). Did they tell your roof glass was within spec, or did they remove and replace it with a better aligned glass roof? Thanks!

I took it to Gilroy with the Racks which was my big concern, and they installed
them the Mobile service guy wouldn't install them because of tight fit. .
They installed the Racks at Gilroy I have been using them all Summer.
I guess I will live with it as part of the things you accept with a Tesla.
I also have noticed miss alignment with the Dash from side to side. and some
miss alignment with the front camera to door on the Driver Side. Other than that
no problems with the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris