Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone running Yoko AD07 175/55R16 in front with ADO8R 225/45R17's in the back how do they perform on the street in the wet ?
I ran that combination a couple of cycles. The AD08R is an improvement to the AD07 in most respects. Handling and ultimate grip are at least the same and maybe slightly better than the AD07. It's slightly better in rain. The life of the AD08 is at least 30% to 50% longer, but not as long as Mich Pilot Super Sports (or its successor). The problem is the AD08Rs are hard to find except old stock.

• Informative
Reactions: ICON
C9511819-342A-452D-B41B-5923F4B29FEE.png
How can I tell if these are old stock Henry ?

shelf life is 6 years PROVIDED they are stored correctly. certainly out of sunlight. Most tires live in a warehouse thats dark and safe. The industry standard is 10 years, or it was a long time ago when I used to help out in my friends garage. 2 years is no prolems especially as they are never going to last the next 6-8 years. If you get 4 years out of them you will beat the expirary clock.

• Helpful
Reactions: ICON
Based on amazing reviews from various sources ( including here and the Tesla Roadster FB page) plus other track car users I went with these, they are on the way to Hong Kong now (shipping 250 USD )

Tire Rack

195/50ZR-16 Continental ExtremeContact Sport SL

2 x $114.05 = $228.10

225/45ZR-17 Continental ExtremeContact Sport SL

2 x $141.02 = $282.04

• Helpful
Reactions: Tesla 940
Based on amazing reviews from various sources ( including here and the Tesla Roadster FB page) plus other track car users I went with these, they are on the way to Hong Kong now (shipping 250 USD )

Tire Rack

195/50ZR-16 Continental ExtremeContact Sport SL

2 x $114.05 = $228.10

225/45ZR-17 Continental ExtremeContact Sport SL

2 x $141.02 = $282.04

VERY happy with these tires. The new rubber responds so well to my steering inputs in a much more linear way, which increases my confidence driving on the varied Hong Kong road surface texture which plays a significant role in the tyre/road noise. Ride harshness and initial impact clearly improved driving over pot holes and concrete road joints. These tires take the edge off big impacts and also was noticeably quieter. Love the handling

Hi folks,

Very much time to get new rear tires. Stopped off at the local Les Schwab (been a customer of theirs for many years for other cars) to give them first shot at it. My fronts are the Advan AD07's, still with lots of tread. They recommend putting Proxes 4+ 225/45ZR-17XL 94W on the rears. Supposed to have a 50k mile warranty. They are also bi-directional, so can be rotated left/right. (The wheels are symmetrical in this regard.)

I believe I had the Proxes (not sure about the 4 or +) on my prior car, an Acura Integra GS-R, and liked them a lot. Anybody try them on the Roadster, or have any thoughts about them in general, or the match-up with the Advan fronts? The current tires on the rear (installed by the prior owner) are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which I understand are not a proper match for the fronts.

Appt on Tuesday to have them installed...

Thanks,

Greg

Hi folks,

Very much time to get new rear tires. Stopped off at the local Les Schwab (been a customer of theirs for many years for other cars) to give them first shot at it. My fronts are the Advan AD07's, still with lots of tread. They recommend putting Proxes 4+ 225/45ZR-17XL 94W on the rears. Supposed to have a 50k mile warranty. They are also bi-directional, so can be rotated left/right. (The wheels are symmetrical in this regard.)

I believe I had the Proxes (not sure about the 4 or +) on my prior car, an Acura Integra GS-R, and liked them a lot. Anybody try them on the Roadster, or have any thoughts about them in general, or the match-up with the Advan fronts? The current tires on the rear (installed by the prior owner) are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which I understand are not a proper match for the fronts.

Thanks,

Greg
Those are a completely different type of tire than the AD07 that you have on the front. They will not be a good match just like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S were not a good match. Go for a max performance summer tire like the Continental ExtremeContact Sport, or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. They will handle a lot better especially with the AD07s on the front.

Those are a completely different type of tire than the AD07 that you have on the front. They will not be a good match just like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S were not a good match. Go for a max performance summer tire like the Continental ExtremeContact Sport, or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. They will handle a lot better especially with the AD07s on the front.
Hmmm. I discussed the issue with my currently mismatched tires, and presumed that he understood that I did not want to do that. I think I actually did ask him if they were a good match with the fronts, and he said yes. Will give him a call and re-discuss this, thanks.

I don't believe the store carries the Conti's (though he said he could probably get them), and I kind of prefer a more all-around tire, season-wise. I prefer not driving the car when it's nasty out, but it does happen. No snow here, but contrary to the song, it does rain. It also gets very hot in the summers. He said these run cooler and quieter.

Given my prior good experience with the Proxes, what about getting all 4 done? I don't track the car; how well do they compare for normally (Roadster) spirited driving? I haven't had any problems with my current mismatch, but it's a constant worry ever since it was pointed out.

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Greg

If you have AD07s at the front with plenty of life left then suggest AD08 for the back rather than mixing different brands. Seem to last a lot longer, have better grip and cheaper than AD07s at the back.

Reactions: hcsharp
Hmmm. I discussed the issue with my currently mismatched tires, and presumed that he understood that I did not want to do that. I think I actually did ask him if they were a good match with the fronts, and he said yes. Will give him a call and re-discuss this, thanks.

I don't believe the store carries the Conti's (though he said he could probably get them), and I kind of prefer a more all-around tire, season-wise. I prefer not driving the car when it's nasty out, but it does happen. No snow here, but contrary to the song, it does rain. It also gets very hot in the summers. He said these run cooler and quieter.

Given my prior good experience with the Proxes, what about getting all 4 done? I don't track the car; how well do they compare for normally (Roadster) spirited driving? I haven't had any problems with my current mismatch, but it's a constant worry ever since it was pointed out.
Ok, checked back with the tire store, and sure enough, the Proxes aren't available in the front size. So, we decided to swap all 4 tires out for the Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

The fronts were made in 2013, so even though they had lots of tread life left, the overall age is starting to get up there. The main deciding factor, however was temperature. While I don't need snow tires, and I don't generally drive when it's really storming out, I do drive when it's really cold (ok, "really cold" by California standards). Summer tires become dangerously hard under those conditions, so the fronts really should be changed.

They had to order them (from Tire Rack!) but I figure it's better (less hassle) to have them delivered and installed locally instead of shipping them to Tesla down the hill for installation there. Better labor rate, if nothing else. Expected on Thursday or Friday of this week.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Very useful.

Ok, checked back with the tire store, and sure enough, the Proxes aren't available in the front size. So, we decided to swap all 4 tires out for the Continental ExtremeContact Sports.
Good choice. I'm surprised the Conti's were more low temperature tolerant than the Yoko's. They're probably right though. Technically one is a "Max Performance Summer" while the other is an "Extreme Performance Summer."

Good choice. I'm surprised the Conti's were more low temperature tolerant than the Yoko's. They're probably right though. Technically one is a "Max Performance Summer" while the other is an "Extreme Performance Summer."
Actually, he said that it looks like the Conti's are all season tires. 30k mile rating, even. The tread design looks a lot like the Proxes. Continental has another version, the ExtremeContact DWS06 (no "Sport" in the name), with a 50k mile rating. I really should look these up myself and not take his word for it.

Summer tires like the Yokos don't have a mileage rating. I guess they can't count that low.