Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be the next size up for the fronts? Could you go to 205/45/R16?

That size won't fit on the stock 6" wide front wheel. The 205/50 R16 will fit, however. And the quote from Roger Reid in an above post says that the 205/50 size tire will still clear the fender.

As I mentioned above, if 205/50 R16 does indeed work as a front tire size, then I think the ideal replacement tire is the Toyo Proxes R1R. Twice the tread life as the A048, still excellent traction, and good in the wet. I'm going with the Toyo Proxes R888 instead only because I want ultimate grip.

Last edited:
sounds great.

What about the AD08 Neova in 205/55/R16 on front. Should fit the rims - tirerack say Rim Width Range 5.5-7.5". what do you think?

Wider AND taller aspect ratio. That makes it 1.2 inches taller, rather than only 0.4 inches taller as with the 205/50. I seriously doubt that will fit inside the fender during cornering.

If only the AD08 Neova was available in a 205/50 size, we'd be good.

Does anyone have a set of Toyos on their Roadster? I am strongly considering them when I change back to summer tires this spring, as my rears are shot and fronts have bolts stuck in them from city driving.

Does anyone have a set of Toyos on their Roadster? I am strongly considering them when I change back to summer tires this spring, as my rears are shot and fronts have bolts stuck in them from city driving.
Yes, I just put these on my car, both front and rear:

Toyo Proxes R888 - Summer/Track, 100 wear rating

It's still cold here, so I can't give a complete review. But so far, I consider them to be phenomenal! The grip once they warm up is extraordinary. I'm convinced they're better than the stock A048 tires.

A word of warning. They can't be used in cold temperatures. Toyo has a warning about temps below 15 F. I'd be cautious about using them (or storing them) in temps below freezing. If you can store them in your garage in the winter, and use them in the warmer months of the year, then they're awesome.

I'll be interested to see how the treadlife holds up. They have a wear rating of 100, compared with the stock tire's 60 wear rating, so the rears should last about 7000 to 8000 miles and the fronts 15,000 to 20,000 miles. I'm satisfied with that.

Thanks for the review, Tdave! I do have the Pirelli's on for the winter, so no problem with the cold weather. I'll probably give the R888s a try as my next summer set.
Please report back here with your impression once you've tried them. By next month I should have some good warmer weather experience with them to report on.

Oh, I forgot to mention: The Toyo Proxes R888 tires are noticeably quieter than the Yoko A048 stock tires.

Last edited:
Officially "supported"/"Suggested" winter tires for the 2011 2.5 (mine is not sport) from my Tesla Advocate 2 weeks ago:

Front: Pirelli winter 210 snow control 195/45/16
Rear: Pirelli winter 240 sotto zero 225/45/17

---------------------
finout
Tesla US #1196