Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. 11,000 miles is about 4,000 miles more than most people get. I'm at 6,000 miles and am almost ready for new rear tires. I'll probably stick with a new set of AD07s and think about it again when it comes time to replace the fronts as well. I may try mixing AD08 rears with AD07 fronts.

That's what I did. I've got AD08s on the rear and the original AD07s on the front. I haven't seen any difference in TC (once they were broken in). The AD08s looked to be pretty identical in terms of most of the specs and they were $100 cheaper per tire.

There is some minor difference in tread pattern:

YokoNeovaAD08_2.jpg

AD08

yo_advan_neova_ad07_ci2_l.jpg

AD07

front 2,1bar back 2,8bar
That's what I went with. Thanks!

Initial feedback is that they ride softer than the AD07's. Less traction (was only able to pull .67G on acceleration vs .75G w/ the AD07's) but this was Day 1 so I'll give them some time to break in. Also, I knew they had less traction - that's kind of the whole point as this is my daily driver and I need tires that last longer than 11,000 miles (and are cheaper).

I have 195/55 R16 on front and 225/45 R17 back. I have to replace my back too, lets see what my dealer can provide me.

So the 195/55 do fit the front? I hadn't seen that size listed here yet. I can't find the 195/50 locally so was hoping that the 195/55 would fit. I'm looking at getting a set of Nokian WR G2 which is recommended by Consumer Reports. We drive on snow/ice 5-6 months/year.

Have changed to winter tires last week. The front tires are Pirelli 210 Snowsport (195/50), the rears Pirelli 240 Sottozero S2 (225/45). Had only AD07 until now and am missing the fast acceleration with them. The TC comes on every time when I accelerate or regenerate hard.

I suppose you don't use the roadster in winter time? I switched to winter tires a week ago. It was too soon, because we had a mild climate and this weekend will get 17° again. Did drive last week without top, but decided to put it on after a half hour. I guess what I define cold (ca. 15°) is warm for you. ;)

I suppose you don't use the roadster in winter time? I switched to winter tires a week ago. It was too soon, because we had a mild climate and this weekend will get 17° again. Did drive last week without top, but decided to put it on after a half hour. I guess what I define cold (ca. 15°) is warm for you. ;)

Well, actually my personal limit for the top off is 14 C, but on sunday, it was 16 C in the shadow.
I have my Roadster since January and since then I used it to at least 80 % as a daily driver. The roads where I comute have not been snow covered since last january!
I don't plan to get winter tyres, I will take another car if its necessary. I'm not afraid of winter tyres or on the performance of the roadster on snow. But in Switzerland they use a huge amount of salt, and that's what I'm trying to avoid with the Roadster even though it is very well built.

Rear Tire Alternatives

Here's a link to DiscountTire, for 225/45Z17s: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/toggleShowingAllTireProducts.do?fcpr=*&c=2&rcz=95030&ar=45&fcsr=Z&rf=true&fcs=false&rd=17&ct=null&rc=CSBINT&cs=225&fclr=*&cf=false&fcb=*&sw=false

As of this posting, it returns 68 tires, all "AA" UTQG rated, with wear ratings from 60 (Yokohama ADVAN A084, which is the standard Roadster Sport tire I believe) to 500 (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus). There are some run flats as well. The AD08 (seems to have replaced the AD07s), are 180 for wear.

Are none of these other tires worth considering? The A048s are the second most expensive on the list. I have AD07s on my non-sport now.

It's 68 tires if you don't care mixing different tire models for the front and rear. If you care, it's down to just a hand full. There really aren't more tire combinations avalaible as have been listed on the first page of this thread.
I still hope for the AD08 in the front size coming next year.

If you care, it's down to just a hand full.

I don't mind mixing tires on different axles. There are Pirelli, Michelin, and Bridgestone tires in the rear sizes that have pretty good reviews. Some have better treadwear. I know there's often a correlation between performance and treadwear, but it's not absolute.

Has no-one tried other tires that might perform as well as the standard Yokohamas, yet have longer treadlife?

I am on about to replace my rear AD07s again after about 17000 miles.
The fronts are at 5/32 and the rears at 3/32 - so I have used about 4/32 of front tread ( from 9/32 ) and 14/32 of rear ( from 10/32 down to 3 twice )

However I have been driving on Toyo Proxes R888s this summer - about 3000 miles.
The fronts are at 5/32 ( from 6/32 ) and the rears are at 4/32 ( from 6 ) - so I have used 1/32 from the front and 2/32 from the rears.
Unfortunately the R888s are much softer to directly compare - but I am only trying to compare the difference in wear from front to rear.

When I got the R888s I had a wheel alignment done and removed all of the toe in from the rear - there was a lot of toe in.
I think that getting rid of that toe in has lessened the rear tire wear ( instead of 1 to 3.5 front to rear it is 1 to 2 ) - I certainly dont believe that the R888s have better wear than the AD07s
However you may not like the way the car drives with it gone, bad road makes it wander a little more - taking more effort to stay straight and the car understeers less ( which I like ).

I will report again after driving on AD07s for a few thousand miles with the wheel alignment the same as it has been.
( I should have put the AD07s back on over a month ago )

Last edited: