Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v wire tap for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well damn, just tried it today an no work. Should have read the comments in the youtube video where they mentioned that was a low voltage wire. BLAH. Any links on how you hid the wiring. Going to do the spade plug thing.

Reactions: logan
Howdy,

Didn't need the Mirror Tap. I called the guys at Blendmount, who are great, they said no problemo to send it back. Terrific customer service.

The Blendmount is sweet. OMG, I can't believe I never have to see a suction cup again.

PDA Road Gear did the install. Cost me $150.

They tapped into the 12v on the drivers side. Call them and ask, I'm sure they'll tell you how they did it.

It's La Bomba.

Super happy to have my V1 back. I think the V1 is the best. The only two speeding tickets I've had both came when;
1. I had the stereo up so loud I couldn't hear the V1
2. I didn't have a V1

The V1 has saved me sooo many times. I love it.

On the side note. The guys showed me the latest and greatest from K40. I'm most likely going to trade my M3 red brakes later in 019. When I do, and if I have F You money, I'm putting in the K40. It's a cut above.

Peace and love!

View attachment 362632 View attachment 362633 View attachment 362634

Nice job!

Side note: before buying the K40, I would highly suggest checking out the RC-M from Radenso. Awesome performance from an awesome company. They're super active in the community on RDForum.org. Uniden and Radenso are the top players currently, and will be for at least the next few years.

Nice job!

Side note: before buying the K40, I would highly suggest checking out the RC-M from Radenso. Awesome performance from an awesome company. They're super active in the community on RDForum.org. Uniden and Radenso are the top players currently, and will be for at least the next few years.
Radenso will get better and better
The best guy from Uniden [ who was behind their best RD tech] just moved to Radenso.
I feel this means Radenso will be killing it in next few years :)

Anyone planning to power the dash cam off a separate battery like the Cellink while parked? Would I just hardwire the Cellink to the switched 12v under the dash so that it'll charge the Cellink when the car is running. And when parked the dash cam would draw power from the Cellink?

Just wanted to update this post, as my model 3 came with the slot already occupied....

IMG_3455.jpeg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Kbra
I opened up the mirror housing on my 3 this past weekend. There's a 2-wire connector that goes into the mirror itself with a yellow and white wire. I probed them with a multimeter but got no voltage at all. Made sure the car was turned on first too. Have others had a different experience?

I hard wired my Valentine to the 12V outlet. A few updates back, the switched outlet was changed to what appeared to be an unswitched outlet. The other day, I forgot to turn off the Valentine and was surprised that the Valentine was off several hours later. What I discovered was if I opened the door and sat in the seat, exited, and close the door, power was applied for only 45 minutes. If I opened the door and closed the door, power was applied for only 15 minutes. I now just leave my Valentine on.

@11ac10, where's this blue wire again? I searched this but didn't find it.

For those asking, the mirror tap is constant on 12V. That is the go to spot in my opinion for dash cams.
For radar detectors, I used the driver footwell 12V switched power (the blue wire referred above). I used the Posi-Tap I linked before and it was super simple. Done it on my own 3 + someone else's.

My V1 + Blendmount combo is great. Only problem is that I sometimes don't turn up the V1 loud enough when I am blasting music!

@surfrasch I like how you installer put the wire through the piece he/she did, rather than out the front as I have it. May have to tweak my set up, thanks for the pics!

@11ac10, where's this blue wire again? I searched this but didn't find it.
It is a bear to find, took me an hour and at one point I was so frustrated, I had to take a break and watch YouTube videos. That being said, it is in there. Mine was buried waaay in the back of the bundle, The key is it is a thicker light blue wire, maybe 16gauge. There is another similarly sized light blue wire twisted together with a white one. That is a good verification that you have the right wire. Good luck.

Reactions: bradhs
Thanks everyone, I successfully installed my Valentine One using this method. Here's a pic of my connector to the connector.

A few lessons learned while doing this...

1) On the 5cm connector... It needs to in quite far... The back of the connector cannot be too thick. If the connector has the vinyl insulator, remove it… Use heat shrink or electrical tape.

2) Use a sturdy wire so that you have some leverage to push the connector in.

3) When testing for 12V and using the bottom bolt, know that there is some kind of insulator on part of the bolt, so you need to make sure you are properly grounding.. Or you may think you're not getting 12V which will lead you into an endless loop of what could be wrong.

4) While an 8mm socket will remove those airbag bolts, consider purchasing a proper socket. It will make it easier. Also, those bolts are long, so attach the socket to a large screw driver to make it easier to unscrew.

2019-06-09_23-27-15.png