Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110v Charging Rate Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of a M3SR ON 9-7-19
I have been charging at for free ato work. It is a 110v, but I was getting 5kWh that allowed me to recup the 40 miles I travel round trip. I just got a software update last week. My charging rate dropped to 1kWh. Has anyone seen this problem?

I have been charging at for free ato work. It is a 110v, but I was getting 5kWh that allowed me to recup the 40 miles I travel round trip. I just got a software update last week. My charging rate dropped to 1kWh. Has anyone seen this problem?
You can only charge at most 1.5kW on 120v or 5mph times 8 hours = 40 miles.

Your numbers are confusing and the software update did not change anything, On a 120V circuit the most you can draw by code for a 15A circuit is 12A of 1440 watts. If you are charging on a 240V circuit and getting very low numbers it is likely wired wrong with a wire in the wrong position delivering only 120V. The only other restriction on amps would come from a manual setting in the car. You will never get 5kW on a 120V circuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for the response. That is what the charging rate was before the software update. I was getting the 40 miles after 8 hours. Now I get about 9 miles for the 8 hours of charge time. I tried my 240v setup at home and I am getting 8 mph.

So you're getting about 22% of your original charge rate on 120v and about 25% of your expected charge rate ("8 mph" vs. about 30 expected) on 240v at home. Given that this change happened when charging at two locations, I suspect a problem with either the car or your Mobile Connector (if you're using the same one at both locations). Chances are it's unrelated to the software update, just a coincidence that the problem popped up at the same time.

I suggest you take your car to a public Level 2 EVSE (use PlugShare to find one, if necessary) and try it there, using the J1772 adapter that came with your car. If you see levels similar to the 8 mph you see at home, then the problem is most likely with the car. If you get 20-30 mph, then chances are the problem is with your Mobile Connector. Either way, you'll need to contact Tesla for service or a replacement of the Mobile Connector. Knowing which is necessary ahead of time should be helpful.

Reactions: SSonnentag
So you're getting about 22% of your original charge rate on 120v and about 25% of your expected charge rate ("8 mph" vs. about 30 expected) on 240v at home. Given that this change happened when charging at two locations, I suspect a problem with either the car or your Mobile Connector (if you're using the same one at both locations). Chances are it's unrelated to the software update, just a coincidence that the problem popped up at the same time.

I suggest you take your car to a public Level 2 EVSE (use PlugShare to find one, if necessary) and try it there, using the J1772 adapter that came with your car. If you see levels similar to the 8 mph you see at home, then the problem is most likely with the car. If you get 20-30 mph, then chances are the problem is with your Mobile Connector. Either way, you'll need to contact Tesla for service or a replacement of the Mobile Connector. Knowing which is necessary ahead of time should be helpful.

Thanks for the response. I am now getting a single red flash on my UMC.

All of the screwed up units are painful. I remember seeing a post asking a question exactly like this a few years ago, where someone thought they had a problem precisely because they weren't paying attention to the units:

They said they thought their charging rate had "dropped" from 5 mph to 1 mph.
What had actually happened was that the units in the display setting had flipped from "distance" to "energy". So it used to be displaying the charging rate in the miles per hour number (5), and then it got changed to show the power level (1.4 in kiloWatts). The person hadn't paid attention to what the units were and so didn't notice what was different.

I would have thought that this was the same thing you have going on except that you noticed the charging equipment has an error flash of some kind:
Now I am getting a single red flash on the wall unit.
You said this is at work. Can you find out what model of connector that is to be able to look up what the single red flash indicates?