Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badges & Their Meaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN #1 thread has started talking about badges. VIN #1 has a P85 badge and the Model S badge. Do you want them?

"Badges? I don't need no stinking badges."

I didn't really like the P85 thing, it sounds like a late-night, infomercial, weight-loss pill. I do like the Model S badge. For me the font looks classical, and reminds me that, like the Model T, the Model S is going to be revolutionary product (or that's what I hope at least).

Then again, I may see it in person and hate it. In which case the hair dryer and dental floss is coming out. ;)

If you order a Porsche (as opposed to just buying one off of a lot), there are 'delete badges' options. They do charge a touch for it, nothing obnoxious. Had the Roadster not come along, I would probably have ended up ordering a 911 with every possible badge removed.

So, yeah, +1 on options to stealth out.

Probably it can be removed pretty easily. I doubt they used badges with pins that penetrate the body. Automotive double sided sticky tape is simple to remove. I've used fishing line before to cut the tape and then you rub off the residual. On a long door protection strip I heated it up with a hairdryer to make the tape softer and wiggled the protection strip back and forth till the tape gave way.

To speak for the other side a bit, I kind of like the badges - I think the P85 is better than a "Performance" badge or something like that. What I don't know, as was mentioned earlier, is what would go on there for a non-performance production model. Maybe "S" for Standard: "S85", "S60", and "S40"?

I didn't really like the P85 thing, it sounds like a late-night, infomercial, weight-loss pill.
You mean exercise videos.

P90X: Tony Horton's 90-Day Extreme Home Fitness Workout DVD Program
614mZw4iDmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: P90X: Tony Horton Outdoors

P85: Tesla Motors' 85-Day Standard Home Fitness Workout DVD Program

I think ill be leaving the tesla T and removing all else.

You're deliberately giving folks a hard time! :smile:

"What's that car of yours?"
"A Tesla, Model S"
"And who makes it?"
"Tesla."
"No sign anywhere, huh. You peeled it off? It sure looks like an Audi. You know, these expensive German cars, still I'd like to have one."
"No, it's American made."
"But the motor is from overseas, right?"
... then it's about time to open the frunk.

Anyone know if the line underneath the P85 says something? It might say something like "performance" black text on the chrome silver surface. Though it does look like a clean silver underline to me.

If it does say "performance" would that make a difference to you?

What's with the badge hate? I guess I would leave mine on strictly so other people can google "Model S".

How else are people going to know how to find "That sweet car" they saw? Never know you may convert people just by driving it and luring them in to all the benefits via google research.

Also, I think the badges look nice. Right now from a business stand point I think its a great idea for Tesla to do. They aren't BMW and can't post their "T" and have people know what it is.