Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active noise cancellation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched around for a bit but couldn't find any info on whether the Model S will have noise cancellation technology. Would it work for the wind and road noise that we would experience at highway speeds?
I hadn't heard of this but don't think it will be as much a problem as something like the Roadster. Tesla was able to design the car from scratch and I'm sure they took this into account.

I too have not seen anything on noise cancellation myself. I would have to disagree if we all are wondering about the feature. That would be a cool feature but it will add cost to the overall product.
I meant to say that Tesla designed the car from scratch and took things like aerodynamics, and therefore wind noise, into account so something like active voice cancelation shouldn't really be needed.

The passive sound-deadening in the interior is quite remarkable. When I first got to sit in a beta Model S at the opening of the Bellevue, WA store, I was immediately struck by how acoustically "dead" the interior is. The noise of the huge crowd outside was substantially muted, even before the doors were shut. When they were shut, ahhhh! I think they learned their lesson on this from the Roadster, with its need for retrofitted insulation, and designed it right up front, just as dsm363 says above.

When other cars advertise active noise cancellation they are matching it to engine noise - not road noise or wind noise. Generalized active noise reduction is very hard to do for more than one seating location at a time (without headphones). Noise reduction either needs to be at the listening position or at the location of the noise source.

Are there other cars that have this feature, like the Bose headphones? It seems like a decent idea, but also seems like it wouldn't be legal. You still have to be able to hear things like sirens and car horns coming from outside!

When other cars advertise active noise cancellation they are matching it to engine noise - not road noise or wind noise. Generalized active noise reduction is very hard to do for more than one seating location at a time (without headphones). Noise reduction either needs to be at the listening position or at the location of the noise source.
This.

Thanks Andrew, excellent explanation.

Sig698, the thought came into my head because I read this:
On the inside, the 2012 Honda Odyssey is as quiet as a premium luxury sedan. Road and wind noise are almost completely absent, as is noise from the drivetrain. Honda's continuing use of active noise-cancelling technology contributes to the impressively peaceful cabin by emitting counter-phase sound through the speakers to eliminate much of the drone that passengers would otherwise hear.

It's sometimes tough to see what someone is referring to when they quote the entire post which is what I did. I could have been a little more clear. Anyway, I don't think wind noise will be something to be concerned about with the Model S.