Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Quebec, Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First signs that the charging infrastructure in quebec is being implemented ...

You can see the station (and wires) for the electric commuter train in the background ...

IMG00006-20110911-1919.jpg

Where is this, exactly?

its in the parking lot just east of the AMT commuter train station in Sainte Dorothee, Laval

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Doroth%C3%A9e_(AMT)
AMT - Stations - Sainte-Dorothée

Would assume that this is not the first station to get them but i have not found any news about the installations yet.

edit: I found this on their (AMT) website (sorry but only in french) which states that this is for an initial trial and there will be charge stations at two of the Laval Metro stations and at the Sainte Dorothee commuter train station.

Last edited:
Where's the best place to charge in or near Montreal if you're coming from the south like I would be? I live 189 miles from Montreal and my wife and I want to travel there in November.

we have almost zero infrastructure here still, which is why i got excited when i saw a pair of charging stations. The governement seems to be trying to incetivize it but it doesn't look like it will be in place for at least another year. However i have seen that the Sheraton hotel in downtown Montreal has installed two chargers in partnership with Coulomb. Other than that, the only other sources I know of between the US border and here would be the RV parks.

Agreed - almost zero. To my knowledge the only chargers in Eastern Canada are at the Sheraton hotels in Montreal and Toronto. Aside from certain people's garages, of course.

Ontario is supposed to be installing chargers at the GO Transit (train) stations around Toronto. I don't think any of them are actually in place yet. And of course unless you are commuting into Toronto they probably won't be that useful.

RV parks are pretty much it. The KOA campgrounds have a policy of $10 for an EV charge. Be sure to call ahead and reserve your slot. Best to avoid the weekend if you can (including Friday night); those are the busy times.

The best documentation I have found so far wrt the planned EV infrastructure is here. In one of the newsletters published they state that "PEV drivers will also have access to a charging station locator service provided by Hydro-Québec and to a 24/7 telephone help line run by CAA Quebec." So we will be needing another app to locate charge stations ... I would hope at least that they would be open to sharing their data with the OpenChargeMap database.

Last edited:
The Electric Circuit (Quebec) seems to be online ...

Electric Circuit

I saw a couple of TV ads today and went and found out they were taking registrations where you could create an account and order an access card and/or fill it with credits ($2.50 flat fee per charge, no time limit).
The map of EVSEs lists a number of them with their status so i would assume that they are ready to go.

If it comes down to it and you still can't get a card by the time you are planning to visit i could lend you mine. it also looks like they will let you have more than one card so it might be wise to have a guest one in any case. let me know how it goes and pm me if you think you need to borrow a card.

If it comes down to it and you still can't get a card by the time you are planning to visit i could lend you mine. it also looks like they will let you have more than one card so it might be wise to have a guest one in any case. let me know how it goes and pm me if you think you need to borrow a card.

clea that's very nice of you! I emailed them and waiting for a response.

Today I got this response:

Thank you for your e-mail. We are unable to answer your question. We will transfert your e-mail to Hydro-Québec and they will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for using the Electric Circuit website.

Best regards,

Daniel Bédard | Assistant manager | Electric circuit call center

Maybe, clea, you can install a 70A HPC at your house and let Tesla owners use it??? We would be happy to pay you for all the power, not just $2.50:smile: (OK I know, a bit presumptuous. Just kidding:wink: ) Thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe, clea, you can install a 70A HPC at your house and let Tesla owners use it??? We would be happy to pay you for all the power, not just $2.50:smile: (OK I know, a bit presumptuous. Just kidding:wink: ) Thanks.

I am open to sharing my electricity once i get setup to welcome my S, but all that is currently available is simply a 110 external outlet. Even then, i don't believe that i am situated in a good spot for you as i am north of Montreal.