Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What component is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Photo from Reuters Pictures
610x.jpg

Tesla Motors' VP of Business Development Diarmuid O'connell ( L ) describes a component to Prince Consort Henrik of Denmark during his visit to Tesla headquarters in Palo Alto, California June 13, 2011.

I would say Mercedes A-class E-cell, though it may be a pack they're using for general prototyping (since we also saw it in the converted RAV4 test vehicles).

You may be correct on the Mercedes comment, but it's definitely not a pack for prototypes. It has been embossed in the production tool with the Tesla logo and the logo painted in red - this would be an incredible waste of money on a prototype series.

I'm wondering what the vehicle behind them is? A RAV4-EV?

You may be correct on the Mercedes comment, but it's definitely not a pack for prototypes. It has been embossed in the production tool with the Tesla logo and the logo painted in red - this would be an incredible waste of money on a prototype series.

Embossing notwithstanding, I think it's the same basic form factor used in the RAV4 EVs we've seen:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1646&d=1303329953.jpg

Anyhow, if you're gonna design something in CAD, I don't think it's that big of a deal to stick your name on it while you're at it. The vehicle behind them is the exploded aluminium Model S frame shown at the Detroit auto show.

The vehicle behind them is the Model S Alpha build Tesla brought to the 2011 Auto Show. Below is a photo of the vehicle from that show.

attachment.php

My guess is the object on the cart is a component of the Model S battery pack, I base this on the below photo. Is it more "battery" or does it serve some other function for the Model S battery?

attachment.php

Anyhow, if you're gonna design something in CAD, I don't think it's that big of a deal to stick your name on it while you're at it.
If a piece is milled, then adding a name lengthens the time it takes to complete the part, and time is money. Fancy text can really slow down the milling process, and therefore costs a lot.
If a piece is stamped, then adding a name requires an entirely new stamper to be made (unless the stamper were somehow designed with a swappable piece for the name/logo).
In other words, just because you can draw it on the screen in your CAD software doesn't mean it's free to make. It seems unlikely that a prototype would have embossed anything.

If a piece is stamped, then adding a name requires an entirely new stamper to be made (unless the stamper were somehow designed with a swappable piece for the name/logo).
In other words, just because you can draw it on the screen in your CAD software doesn't mean it's free to make. It seems unlikely that a prototype would have embossed anything.
To me, that embossed part looks stamped. You don't need to make "an entirely new stamper" if you've designed it that way from the get go. Something in a prototype might have embossed parts if it's simply reusing what they already have. We've seen this same battery pack form factor on both the Mercedes A-class and the RAV4 (though I don't believe it's the finale battery pack for the RAV). I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Tesla isn't shy about putting the name on stuff.