Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk light failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that my trunk light wasn't working and I finally got around to checking the bulb...
IMG_20160106_093554.jpg

IMG_20160106_093617.jpg

IMG_20160106_093626.jpg

IMG_20160106_093634.jpg

IMG_20160106_093645.jpg

Glued a piece of plastic over the hole in the housing, cut a piece of lexan to replace the bent and discolored lense, bought an led to replace the incandescent one, and put it all back together.
Looks great, cost me less than $10 ($3 lexan, $7 bulb).
I get much better light in the trunk now also (dare I say a night and day difference?)

How did that thing build up so much resistance and heat? Well I know the answer to the resistance question, its all gunked up at the connections. But did you leave your trunk open for quite some time or possibly the trunk switch doesn't shut your light off as it should hence the burned lens and housing?

Lastly, why the heck are you getting so much water back there? I'd find out why that's happening rather soon, mine doesn't get dirty like that nor show signs of water intrusion.

As for the light/housing/lens, it should be some standard Ford part or something.

What type LED is required?
I don't remember the number - the one I got (the only one the parts store had) was a little too long but I bent the prongs in the housing to make it fit. There is a thread

here that covers several LED bulbs in the car

- - - Updated - - -

How did that thing build up so much resistance and heat? Well I know the answer to the resistance question, its all gunked up at the connections. But did you leave your trunk open for quite some time or possibly the trunk switch doesn't shut your light off as it should hence the burned lens and housing?

Lastly, why the heck are you getting so much water back there? I'd find out why that's happening rather soon, mine doesn't get dirty like that nor show signs of water intrusion.

As for the light/housing/lens, it should be some standard Ford part or something.

I wound up just fixing the old one.

I have gotten into the (bad?) habit of leaving the trunk open when I get home (to cool the PEM while charging - I'm in Florida and don't have the luxury of an air-conditioned garage.)

The water bothered me at first also. I think the hole melted in the top of the housing and that part of the car (the outside/back of the trunk well) is pretty exposed to anything coming up from the road, so any water coming up will land on the top of the housing. Since the hole was there, it just leaked/poured in and doused the bulb and connections.

I have gotten into the (bad?) habit of leaving the trunk open when I get home (to cool the PEM while charging - I'm in Florida and don't have the luxury of an air-conditioned garage.)

The water bothered me at first also. I think the hole melted in the top of the housing and that part of the car (the outside/back of the trunk well) is pretty exposed to anything coming up from the road, so any water coming up will land on the top of the housing. Since the hole was there, it just leaked/poured in and doused the bulb and connections.

Yes, the incandescent bulbs run very hot. The front parking lights do the same thing, I melted my outside parking light housing on the driver's side since I run my headlights/parking lights during the day when I commute. I replaced my headlights, upgraded the TRS HIDs and installed LEDs into the parking lights, so no worries of heat/melting issues now. I can see that happening and the hole letting the water in with your trunk light. With the LED things will run cooler for sure. But you may or may not know it, the plug / switch to the trunk light is on the drivers side rear fender, upper side. You can just disconnect the connector so you don't need to run the light, then plug it back in when you do. If I do things where my trunk is open for long periods of time I always disconnect it there.