Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge point DC fast charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silly question, what do I need to use the DC fast charging stations like Charge Point.
You'd need to have a Chargepoint account. It's quicker to start charging via their RFID (?) tags than to use their smartphone app to start charging. I have 2 of their tags and an account. I L2 charge on Chargepoint stations at my work (for free) pretty much every weekday.

If you're going to use CHAdeMO, then you need Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter.
I don't believe you can. Isn't that CCS?
DC Fast Charging Stations (Express) - ChargePoint has a dual-standard one (CHAdeMO and SAE Combo). Chargepoint HQ (ChargePoint Headquarters | Campbell, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare) has a SAE Combo and a dual-standard, supposedly. See pics.

There was a Nissan dealer in San Jose, CA that put their Nissan-branded CHADeMO DC FC onto Chargepoint (I used it a few times when I still had a Leaf w/CHAdeMO) but I believe they moved it to NRG EVgo now. That DC FC was originally non-networked, then networked onto Chargepoint then possibly moved again.

Some Nissan dealer DC FCs are on Chargepoint because of Networking the free DCQC chargers at Nissan dealers - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

In the SF Bay Area, off the top of my head, the major CHAdeMO DC FC networks are EV Charging Plans | Freedom Station Plans | NRG EVgo and Blink. They're both very pricey to use. Use Plugshare to find other CHAdeMO DC FCs.

You'd need to have a Chargepoint account. It's quicker to start charging via their RFID (?) tags than to use their smartphone app to start charging. I have 2 of their tags and an account. I L2 charge on Chargepoint stations at my work (for free) pretty much every weekday.

If you're going to use CHAdeMO, then you need Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter.

DC Fast Charging Stations (Express) - ChargePoint has a dual-standard one (CHAdeMO and SAE Combo). Chargepoint HQ (ChargePoint Headquarters | Campbell, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare) has a SAE Combo and a dual-standard, supposedly. See pics.

There was a Nissan dealer in San Jose, CA that put their Nissan-branded CHADeMO DC FC onto Chargepoint (I used it a few times when I still had a Leaf w/CHAdeMO) but I believe they moved it to NRG EVgo now. That DC FC was originally non-networked, then networked onto Chargepoint then possibly moved again.

Some Nissan dealer DC FCs are on Chargepoint because of Networking the free DCQC chargers at Nissan dealers - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

In the SF Bay Area, off the top of my head, the major CHAdeMO DC FC networks are EV Charging Plans | Freedom Station Plans | NRG EVgo and Blink. They're both very pricey to use. Use Plugshare to find other CHAdeMO DC FCs.
I do have a charge point card and just got an email from them that they have installed some DC FC stations in Northern California and wondered if I purchased a CHADeMO adapter will that allow me to use them.

This thread shows how useless the term "DC fast charging" or "DC quick charging" is. It's almost as bad as "Freedom Station" which is what NRG eVGo calls their DC charging stations whether they're CCS or CHAdeMO or both. Beyond that, DC charging is always called fast or quick even when it's not, such as the 20kW ones. There's no such thing as a slow DC charging station, or even an average speed DC charging station. They're all called "fast" even when they're nowhere near the speed of a Tesla supercharger.

This thread shows how useless the term "DC fast charging" or "DC quick charging" is. It's almost as bad as "Freedom Station" which is what NRG eVGo calls their DC charging stations whether they're CCS or CHAdeMO or both. Beyond that, DC charging is always called fast or quick even when it's not, such as the 20kW ones. There's no such thing as a slow DC charging station, or even an average speed DC charging station. They're all called "fast" even when they're nowhere near the speed of a Tesla supercharger.
In Japan, apparently, under 40 kW CHAdeMO chargers are often referred to as "intermediate chargers". See CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla - Page 16 and CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla - Page 16.

I spoke to someone prominent in the EV world about a month ago about this while in Japan (she's not Japanese) and IIRC, it sounded like we in the US might be getting this sort of nomenclature in the future.

I agree that 24 kW or less is kinda slow, esp. for big battery vehicles that can sustain full 40+ kW charging for MUCH longer. For smaller battery vehicles, it's not as bad, as Fuji tries to justify for their 25 kW units at http://www.americas.fujielectric.com/sites/default/files/DC%20Quick%20Charging%20-%20FEA%20Comparison%20Study%20%20(25kW%20vs%20%2050kW)%207-3-12.pdf on pages 6 and 7.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a charge point card and just got an email from them that they have installed some DC FC stations in Northern California and wondered if I purchased a CHADeMO adapter will that allow me to use them.
You should be able to. Make sure you look up the station on Plugshare first, before you waste your time. Also, check its pricing on the Chargepoint app or web site.

In the email charge point says you will 100 miles per hour. It also says SAE Combo compatible.
I don't know anything about "the email". It'd be a LOT better if you could include a Plugshare link to the DC FC in question, or an address so we can look it up on Plugshare or Chargepoint's site/app.

As for "100 miles per hour", I don't really like these designations. It depends on so many factors like battery capacity, starting state of charge, and how efficiently one is driving (i.e miles/kWh). If you charged a Leaf for an hour on a DC FC and it was near full to start with, it'll barely gain any charge. If it was nearly empty... well, to go 100 miles on a charge on Leaf, you need to drive quite slowly.

I TOTALLY agree! Hype. They are only marginally faster than my home charging.