Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Carbon Fiber Hitch rack for CarbonTrike SL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has no idea where to post this topic so moderators do your thing:)

Had the EcoHitch installed a few weeks ago in preparation for a new trike I acquired, a Carbontrike Race SL. Here's the trike that will go on the rack.

carbontrikes_SL_right.jpg

With trike set for delivery after the New Year (it's handmade in Sweden and takes about 6 months for delivery once it's order) I've been working on building a carbon fiber hitch rack custom sized for the SL. It's foot print matches the dimensions for the three wheels perfectly. After about two weeks of work I finished it today and mounted it on my car to try it out.

The rack was made from 2" square tube and gussets from DragonPlate and held together epoxy and rivets. The finished rack weighs about 12 pounds with four of those pounds accounted for by an aluminum tube that plugs into the hitch reciever and extends horizontally to support the rack (it's inside a carbon fiber tube so it can't be seen). Being cautious, I was concerned about using only carbon fiber for the piece that plugs into the hitch receiver. Figured it would be subject to breakage around the hitch pin. I also laced wiring for a red LED strip on the back underside of the rack that's connected to the car's running and brake lights.

The rack is incredibly strong (I stood on it after mounting it on the hitch). As the CarbonTrike SL weight only 25 pounds it will more than strong enough to carry the trike.

Some photos and details follow.

DSC_6557.jpg

DSC_6558.jpg

DSC_6559.jpg

The wheels will fit into the slots shown and be held in place by a velcro Softride buckle.

DSC_6560.jpg

DSC_6564.jpg

One of the great things among many about the Model S is that I can monitor the rack with image on the 17" touchscreen from the rear camera. Here's what I see.

DSC_6570.jpg

DSC_6580.jpg

Added some rubber trim around the wheel slots so that the wheel and tires have a nice ride when the trike is mounted:)

And here it's lit by the LED strip. A good safety feature.

DSC_6581.jpg

I have a few more details to attend to, but they're largely cosmetic. Now all I need is the trike so I can do some riding:)

does it interfere with the reversing sensors?

A very good question and yes! In reverse the sensors warn of an impending collision so I have to ignore them. I'm actually more concerned about back-in supercharger spaces when I'm transporting the trike on a long drive. But as that will only be once or twice a year I can live with any inconvenience. As the rack with the trike strapped on will weigh about 37 lbs I can probably just remove the whole shebang.