Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Spoiler - Best Carbon Fiber Spoilers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This.

The spoilers for the Model Y are PURELY cosmetic and nothing more.

Couple things here.. the Model Y has a high enough coefficient drag that adding a spoiler in some cases could actually develop more drag.
The power to weight ratio makes the spoiler not necessary in terms of handling or performance. In fact, the vehicle would have to be traveling at beyond highway speeds to even see any benefit.

The mounting preference (3M tape) would cause a functional spoiler to rip off when the spoiler is actually “putting in any work”. Look any any high end sports car.. PORSCHE has elaborate mounting hardware to keep these wings held on tightly to the car.

I hate when venders make stupid claims like this. I came across an aftermarket wheel/rim ad for (Zink Wheels)Teslas that claim “less blowouts”. What?!

I don't disagree re: the Y spoiler but your statement about 3M tape and elaborate hardware is not 100% accurate. I have factory dive planes and a Gurney flap on my car and they're held in place with 3M tape. The Cup wing is held in place by a handful of screws. Obviously dive planes don't see the same forces as a lip or spoiler but worth mentioning. The front lip which also generates some downforce is press held into the bumper with friction.

apexraceparts-16648281605354.jpg
PXL_20201222_235316360.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 10.42.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 10.42.50 AM.png
    472.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Love
Reactions: hyp36rmax
This spoiler not only adds that high-performance OEM look but is also made from Real Dry Carbon Fiber – no fiberglass or plastic here. The hand-laid woven carbon fiber is UV coated, promising years of beauty without any yellowing. Plus, it perfectly mimics the factory OEM spoiler for that sleek, cohesive look.But it's not just about aesthetics. The aerodynamic efficiency gets a boost, rear stability at high speeds improves, and the overall vibe gets a serious sporty upgrade. It's like giving your Tesla a performance edge without compromising on style.You can choose between Glossy or Matte finishes. The glossy version is all about that rich, striking appearance, while the matte finish gives a more modern, less glare look. Both are inspired by the Tesla Model Y OEM Performance, and the size is identical for that genuine performance vibe.Installation is simple easy – no punches, just a firm mount. So, if you're after the perfect blend of performance and style, the Tesery Tesla Model Y Carbon Fiber Spoiler is a must-have. Upgrade your Tesla!

My biggest issue with this post is all of the claims made by the vendor. If you’re going to make these claims, put the scientific data in to back them up. Show the charts comparing your spoiler to a Y without a spoiler when it comes to improved aerodynamics, range, performance and safe speed.
The spoiler is held on by nothing more than bubble gum and hope. There is no way a spoiler held on with double sided tape improves safety and performance. To make claims that the car can safely drive 155 mph compared to 135mph without the spoiler is ridiculous. Any true downward force on the double sided tape would just rip it off. Look at all of the OEM performance spoilers that come off if you sneeze on them.
The best claim though is the spoiler improves fuel efficiency. Is the improved fuel efficiency with regular or premium fuel? Just so everyone knows which to buy for their Y when they use your spoiler.

This.

The spoilers for the Model Y are PURELY cosmetic and nothing more.

Couple things here.. the Model Y has a high enough coefficient drag that adding a spoiler in some cases could actually develop more drag.
The power to weight ratio makes the spoiler not necessary in terms of handling or performance. In fact, the vehicle would have to be traveling at beyond highway speeds to even see any benefit.

The mounting preference (3M tape) would cause a functional spoiler to rip off when the spoiler is actually “putting in any work”. Look any any high end sports car.. PORSCHE has elaborate mounting hardware to keep these wings held on tightly to the car.

I hate when venders make stupid claims like this. I came across an aftermarket wheel/rim ad for (Zink Wheels)Teslas that claim “less blowouts”. What?!

Food for thought.

These spoilers do exactly as they are called. "Spoilers". They spoil the air providing a little more high speed stability by design. To your points of how effective? That will vary without actual testing, at it's core they are providing some level of performance.

Memories of an 1999 Audi TT. That baby spoiler was added to stabilize the car at high speeds.

Now what about that tape!?! Ok, this is 100% dependent on the materials used to secure the part onto the car. Not all adhesives are the same, so yes the assumption doubting the quality is very real. For those with experience working and mounting aero panels (I consider lip spoilers the same class) It's flat againt the panel to withstand downward pressure to maintain integrity on the body. The key factor here is prep and adhesive type. Don't go cheap. Invest in a high quality adhesive designed for the application. AND prep and clean the panel/part. 3M VHB and similar high grade adhesive is recommended.

If possible always secure mount with hardware, depends on the part. These CF parts are light weight enough to withstand the pressure with quality adhesives.

Oh wait my spoiler flew off! That's a you and installer problem

Here's spec tech sheet from 3M themselves: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/234103O/vhbtm-tapes-in-architectural-metal-panels-tb.pdf

1711138481112.png

Reactions: ngng