Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing: Where does the $7500 Fed. tax credit go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at leasing vs buying a $91k build.

On Tesla's website, it calculated my monthly payment at $1210

I went to the Edmunds lease calculator. Punched in the same figures. $91k cost, $5k down, $2500 origination fee, 15k miles, 3 years and used a (Tesla supplied) residual value of 62%.

The figures came out exactly the same.

Does this mean that the banks are making an extra $7500 off of each Tesla leased as opposed to any other $91k car? They get to take the $7500 tax credit, right?

If a person buys off their lease, either at the end or anytime, it means they aren't getting any benefit of the tax credit, right?

That $7,500 is used in a really bizarre way from what I understand it.

They should apply that $7,500 as a Cap. Cost Reduction. They don't do that.

Last time I checked, they allude to the fact that they add the $7,500 to the residual but there is really no way to verify that. Like you, I did the math and I could not see any proof of the $7,500 being applied to the residual in a transparent way.

Worse yet, if they do in fact add the $7,500 to the residual, it precludes you from ever considering buying the car at the end of the lease period since the car's residual is then $7,500 more than it should be. Bad deal.

I wish more banks would get into offering leasing options for new and CPO cars so there is competition.

Answering my own question, I looked up residual values of Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series and they were in the 42-46% range so it does appear that the residual of the Model S is inflated, lowering monthly payments.

Good if one plans on returning at the end of a lease but a negative incentive to purchase your car. One might be able to negotiate a purchase price at the end if the lease vs turning the car in, though.

If I plug in a residual of 45% the lease payment goes up from $1210 to $1654.

Last edited:
Answering my own question, I looked up residual values of Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series and they were in the 42-46% range so it does appear that the residual of the Model S is inflated, lowering monthly payments.

Good if one plans on returning at the end of a lease but a negative incentive to purchase your car. One might be able to negotiate a purchase price at the end if the lease vs turning the car in, though.

If I plug in a residual of 45% the lease payment goes up from $1210 to $1654.

That's not quite right. The Tesla lease is higher than it should be. So for your $91K Model S, you are looking at a monthly payment of $1,210 after $5k down and a $2500 origination.

For a Mercedes S Class, with a MSRP of $94,400 the monthly lease payment is 1,149 with $6,943 due at signing. So it seems while the S Class costs more, both the monthly lease payment and the money down are less, all without the benefit of a $7,500 rebate.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/special_offers/current

I still feel they are not really factoring in the $7,500 rebate in a transparent way. If they are factoring in the $7,500 it will be an absolute $7,500. You can't really factor that exact amount by specifying an arbitrary percentage based on a variable sale price. I have yet to see concrete and transparent proof of the $7,500 rebate benefiting a lessee.

IMHO the only fair way for Tesla to handle the $7,500 rebate for a lease is to apply that as a Cap. Cost Reduction so that if you later decide to buy the car, you get the benefit of the rebate. They are not doing that.

I had been wondering about this as well. I want to lease to take advantage of being able to deduct the entire monthly payment as a small business owner. But it did seem strange that the numbers don't quite add up.

Is anyone aware of banks that will provide leases for a Model S? I see Ally bank does leasing, but apparently only for Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Maserati, and Aston Martin. Would this require an active partnership on Tesla's part, or simply a willingness for the bank to purchase the vehicle and then turn around and lease it?

Last edited:
My rep just told me the $7500 is discounted over the 36 months of the lease. So, theoretically, the lease should be $208.33 less expensive per month than a comparable lease.

I think this is kind of true. It appears that the credit is used by the banks to generate an artificially high residual value of ~62% at the end of the lease. This lowers the payments but makes it unfavorable to buy the car at lease termination unless you can negotiate $7500 off at the end.

You are assuming that the lease company has a tax liability that they can use the tax credit, and you can't carry it forward. Tesla is not paying taxes. B of A in their leases may not be able to use the credit either. The tax credit was made for individuals to benefit from, not corporations with sheltered assets and losses.