Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for new buyer of used roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have CPO Roadsters back in stock. (Just realized you're in Hong Kong, so delay might account for release there)

Does it come with a charger? A lot of the last few sold (in U.S.) last year didn't come with any and the chargers were subject to a wait...

We have both Hard Top and Soft Top. And in the summer months, it goes around with no top. Easier to do that with the soft top.

Others can (and I'm sure...will) correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the adjustable suspension is optional on the non-sport Roadsters and standard on the Sport versions.

That is correct. Adjustable suspension is highly recommended - it's a better suspension even if you don't ever adjust it. It has more travel and less likely to bottom out.

I am going to get a CPO from Tesla. Any tips on what to look out for? Also, is adjustable suspension an option or standard? Is hard top much better than soft top?

I do have a tip for you, though it's not something to look for, as much as a bit ownership advice.

Sometime soon after you get your car, and I would generally say sooner is better than later (and now realizing that this might have little applicability to you, being in Hong Kong and all), I recommend taking your car out on a road trip. For this purpose, I define a road trip as any adventure away from home in which, to get back home, you will have to charge the car somewhere "else" so that you can get home (wherever that somewhere else may be). You'll charge out on the road, or you'll get home on a flatbed (Do or not do - there is no try :)).

For me, that first trip was a 100 mile drive to a charger to get lunch, and then a 100 mile drive home. A few months later, it was the BC2BC event, going from the Washington / Canada border down to the Cali/Mexico border over ~3 weeks, and back home. The point is get away from home, and get a feel for what the dynamic is like for charging away from home.

That is correct. Adjustable suspension is highly recommended - it's a better suspension even if you don't ever adjust it. It has more travel and less likely to bottom out.

How does one know (without removing anything like the tires) whether one has the adjustable suspension? I've had my 2.0 #834 since the first of the year, and the more I learn about the car, the more I am surprised (and delighted) by some of the upgrades the previous owner had done. I presume the suspension is stock 2.0 non-sport, but am prepared to be delighted again!

Or you can just trust in Karma, and send a really big check to a guy you've never met for a car you've never seen. Sometimes that works too. :biggrin: I've been happy ever since!

You have no idea how close that wa to my purchase. Worked out very well in my case too, but I sometimes shudder to think of how many ways it could have gone wrong. Sometimes, after doing a reasonable bit of homework, you just have to trust your gut and go for it.

How does one know (without removing anything like the tires) whether one has the adjustable suspension? I've had my 2.0 #834 since the first of the year, and the more I learn about the car, the more I am surprised (and delighted) by some of the upgrades the previous owner had done. I presume the suspension is stock 2.0 non-sport, but am prepared to be delighted again!

Standard shocks are yellow, adjustable are grey.

How does one know (without removing anything like the tires) whether one has the adjustable suspension?
Also ..... The ends of the anti-rollbars on the adjustable suspension have 3 holes, to adjust their settings.....

this was sent with EU Sports suspension set-ups (notice registered office is Lotus HQ :) )

EU settings.JPG