Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Title and registration delays (Illinois)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my car on 6/10 and told that registration should take 30 to 45 days and the title 6 to 8 weeks.
Since I hadn't received my registration (and it's been 43 days) and my bank is more forcefully complaining that they haven't received the title yet, I emailed my DS last Friday asking when the paperwork was actually sent (I was hoping it would reassure the bank). Since I didn't hear back, I finally called the secretary of state and I found out that apparently the paperwork hasn't even been submitted (or at least they can't find anything using the VIN, or the application's serial number). :scared: The rep at the DMV told me to call the dealer back and also gave me the number for the state police ?! I guess she assumed I had been scammed after she checked the temporary tags and noticed that my wife's driver's license was used for the car's VIN :cursing: The rep also told me that Illinois required dealers to submit title application within 20 days. So now I'm not only worried about the bank raising the interest rate (I have 2 months to get them a title, and the DMV claims 6 weeks once they get the application), I'm also worried about getting pulled over with a shoddy registration.

I've tried calling Tesla today after talking to the DMV and I finally got a hold of my DS but I got excuses about being short staffed and some promise to look into it and call me back. I'm not feeling very confident right now but I guess I'll give my DS 24 hours.

As much as I love the car, the delivery experience (particularly communication) wasn't exactly great before but they seemed understandably busy, but now I am positively mad. Anyone else in Illinois still waiting for their paperwork too ?

I too am waiting for my DMV bs, um paperwork to go through. I am getting the same requests from my lender but so far they have been very accommodating. My DS has been helpful but this was the first time he had done an IL registration. I bought my MS from the Saint Louis, MO store. I hope to hear soon about the status. Come to think of it I think I will text him for an update today. I will post here when I get more info on my process. Sorry you have had such issues, I would've thought an IL store would get it right the first time.

Peace,

Father Bill

UPDATE: Got a text from my DS just after posting the above. He tells me there is another form that needs to be filled in. AARRGH! I really hope the CU is very understanding. I am thinking of having my DS call the CU to explain what is going on.

Last edited:
This sounds like it might be a bad situation. Did you get it delivered from the HP dealership? I have been having difficulty getting in touch there as well (I do not have the same issue), and the responses I do get are usually very wishy-washy.

I took delivery of my car on 6/10 and told that registration should take 30 to 45 days and the title 6 to 8 weeks.
Since I hadn't received my registration (and it's been 43 days) and my bank is more forcefully complaining that they haven't received the title yet, I emailed my DS last Friday asking when the paperwork was actually sent (I was hoping it would reassure the bank). Since I didn't hear back, I finally called the secretary of state and I found out that apparently the paperwork hasn't even been submitted (or at least they can't find anything using the VIN, or the application's serial number). :scared: The rep at the DMV told me to call the dealer back and also gave me the number for the state police ?! I guess she assumed I had been scammed after she checked the temporary tags and noticed that my wife's driver's license was used for the car's VIN :cursing: The rep also told me that Illinois required dealers to submit title application within 20 days. So now I'm not only worried about the bank raising the interest rate (I have 2 months to get them a title, and the DMV claims 6 weeks once they get the application), I'm also worried about getting pulled over with a shoddy registration.

I've tried calling Tesla today after talking to the DMV and I finally got a hold of my DS but I got excuses about being short staffed and some promise to look into it and call me back. I'm not feeling very confident right now but I guess I'll give my DS 24 hours.

As much as I love the car, the delivery experience (particularly communication) wasn't exactly great before but they seemed understandably busy, but now I am positively mad. Anyone else in Illinois still waiting for their paperwork too ?

I live 20 miles from the STL Store in Illinois and about 280 miles from the HP store. If/when I buy a CPO it will HAVE to come from somewhere else. Makes sense for me to have it shipped to the STL store to handle my delivery. I hope they get over the learning curve as most folks will be buying CPO sight unseen and shipped hundreds of miles away and sold to a buyer in a neighboring state.

Am following this closely.

Well, props to my DS because she did come through. I should have more faith in people. Tesla promised to expedite the title/registration and talked to my bank about the delay and cleared things up, so I am a much happier camper today than I was yesterday. We'll see in 2 weeks.

This isn't a good sign. I picked mine up on June 30th at the highland park store. I also called the secretary of state and they can't find my paperwork either. I'm going to talk to the DS today.

I guess they are indeed swamped with registrations. I would normally not have cared since the temp tags are good for 90 days and you can easily get another one for another 90 days (I almost had to do that when I bought a Prius out of state in 2010 and the MCO took 2.5 months to show up) I was more worried about the bank, the loan and the lien (because of a miscommunication when I applied for the loan, I got the check a full month before delivery, which cut down on the timeframe the bank gave me to deliver a perfected title/lien, plus I think banks are used to getting titles quickly with electronic registrations... which Tesla doesn't use).

This isn't a good sign. I picked mine up on June 30th at the highland park store. I also called the secretary of state and they can't find my paperwork either. I'm going to talk to the DS today.
May 1st for me.... Just Fed Exd to Tesla DMV what I hope is the final piece of bureaucratic drivel. I am getting a bit squirrelly without my new registration.
I do have to say minus the registration shuffle the Saint Louis SC is top flight! I can't speak more highly of the team, they have addressed every service issue going way out of their way to accommodate me. Cameron, Danny, Kevin, Sean you guys rock!!

Peace,
Father Bill

Finally, my new registration came in! Only took 3 months:confused:.

they didnt transfer my old plates though, grrr. cost me about $90 more than it should have. But at least I have legit state papers now. no more paranoid fears of getting stopped by the police, just the normal ones:wink:.

Peace,

Father Bill

I got mine too. Tesla did come through, they expedited everything like they said they would, picked up the extra cost (just $30, but still), they talked to my bank and the registration showed up Fedex overnight about 4 business day later (my plates were transferred correctly too). I even got a replacement temporary tag for the incorrect one on the same day I got the registration :p

I'm still a little baffled why they hadn't submitted anything after 45 days though, but they got on top of it and dealt with it. So I'm happy.

My experience with Tesla is they sit on registration filings as long as they can and do them in batches. This means if you're early in the batch you're bouncing dangerously close to the expiration on your temporary. Happened to me with the first car. Second car I specifically asked them to expedite my registration and I had it in 2 weeks. Which is what they told me to expect the first time. I'm in Washington State and not Illinois but Tesla does the paperwork for registrations out of their California office and not locally, so I suspect this isn't different for Illinois.

Finally, my new registration came in! Only took 3 months:confused:.

they didnt transfer my old plates though, grrr. cost me about $90 more than it should have. But at least I have legit state papers now. no more paranoid fears of getting stopped by the police, just the normal ones:wink:.

Peace,

Father Bill

Father Bill, did you get the new Electric Vehicle (EL) plates? $35 and good for two years. I'm currently paying $114/year and I calculate the savings on the EL plates at current AMERENIP rates comes to about 225 miles of FREE driving each month due the savings.

My old plates were EL and I paid $56 ($27 year mid stream + $29 Replacement fee) for them. The new registration was $113 but should have just been a transfer. Oh well it wont kill me just hate to waste money with our bankrupt state. Tom, How goes your search for a MS? Any updates on your search?

Tom, How goes your search for a MS? Any updates on your search?

Chelsea at the STL Store found TWO car's that fit my criteria (neither were listed on the CPO site) but since I have a trade I didn't want to pull the $1000 deposit trigger only to be disappointed in the trade in allowance.

I have a lead for a private sale come this fall on my 2014 Stingray and if that goes through I'll be ready to buy now that I know Tesla Store Owner Advisors can see cars not posted on the CPO web site. But my options do dwindle as my first choice is a GREEN MS.

FWIW my experience: It took about two months to get plates. Probably up until the last week or so, going to Title and Registration Status Inquiry and trying to check status there... got *NOTHING*. You could put in some fake stuff (try "1"!) but nothing like a real VIN worked. I think they forgot to write that part of the website.

The only odd thing was that they sent the plates TO THE FACTORY... Freemont nicely FedEx'd them to my house.

This was from the Chicago SC.