Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Polarizer Filter(s) for Blackvue 650 Dashcam - 28% Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I am organizing a group buy for polarizing filters for the Blackvue 650 dashcam.

I previously organized group buys for the Blackvue 650 and for the FOBO Tire Plus. Those threads are here:

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy for $310, including 32 Gig card and Power Magic Pro

Group Buy for FOBO Tire Plus - $30 or $50 off, plus free express shipping ($20 value)

In both of the above group buys, I paid the same price for the item as everyone else. In the interest of full disclosure, I want to say up front that this time I asked for and was given a sample unit. (Before writing to ask for the sample unit, I had no contact with this company.)

There were a few reasons I wanted to be able to try this product out myself before organizing a group buy for it. For starters, while the other products were known entities, with many happy forum users already using the products, I had not seen any reports here from anyone using this product. I wanted to be able to check it out myself, and give my honest thoughts on it, before recommending it. Based on what I had seen and read I was reasonably confident I would be able to recommend it, but if that had proven not to be the case, I would have offered to return the sample.

The filters are being offered by EDR Auto, and are made by Moovika France.

Here is a really short video that shows what the filters do:

Here's a link to a webpage with some info, and some photos that let you slide between filtered and not filtered. It also includes a longer dashcam video taken with the filters in place:

Image Comparison Slider | CodyHouse

The group buy is for either the polarizer for just the front camera, or for the kit, which includes the filters for both the front and rear cameras.

To keep things simple, my contact, David, is just offering a discount code for TMC forum members to use. You'll simply order from the website using the code. The only stipulation is that he won't start shipping until 15 orders have been placed. If for some reason we don't reach that number, David may choose to still fill the orders, but if he chooses not to, of course he will refund your payment. Knowing how many people use the Blackvue 650, and how well these filters work (more on that below) I really don't think the 15 orders are going to be a problem in any way.

Moovika sells these on Ebay. The following writeup is from one of the Ebay auction descriptions:

--
The BlackVue Polarizer Filter Clip helps reduce glare and even remove them completely in some places. It will revive the colors, for example a lawn is pale green as the grass reflects the cloudy sky, with a polarizing removing reflections on the grass and you have a very green grass. You will also have a deeper sky blue, darker depending on the angle of the sun relative to the camera.

The BlackVue Polarizer Filter Clip will reduce glare, reflections on the dashboard and on the road when the sun's front. Using a polarized filter for record with your BlackVue you will decrease significantly glare from reflective surfaces either water, the windshield of a car, snow or ice.
The filter also has an anti-UV treatment.

The BlackVue Polarizer Filter Clip is already set at the factory for vertical polarization.
--

I just checked, and the total cost in US dollars for the kit, with shipping, taxes, etc., including the discount, shows on the site as $44.67. The price for just the front camera filter shows as $24.33. When I first wrote to David, his site was not showing prices in dollars. It is possible that these prices may be based on Euros, so they may fluctuate as exchange rates fluctuate.

Here are my feelings on the product.

The filters definitely improve the quality of the video being recorded, by cutting down on the glare and reflections. I haven't had much time to do all sorts of crazy comparisons, but I don't think they are necessary. I've seen enough to be able to say the filters work. I don't know if every drive you take in all conditions will show as dramatic differences as some of the examples. In fact, they probably won't. Even so, you will definitely notice a difference using the filters.

My thoughts on the cost is since we've already spent hundreds of dollars on the dashcams, and either a fair bit of time or money or both having the dashcams installed, $45 or $25 is a very small price to pay to improve the actual video quality. Unless you have the time and inclination to cobble something like this together yourself, (which admittedly, you could probably do for less than what these cost if you knew what you were doing and had a source for the parts), I think buying at least the front filter is pretty much a no-brainer.

The filter rings fit perfectly. The actual filter for the back camera is oversized, and perhaps the same size as the filter for the front camera, but this doesn't matter. I encountered about 30 seconds of difficulty during installation on the rear camera because of the electrical tape I had placed over the LED, (since that LED can't be disabled.) I had forgotten about the tape, and didn't immediately realize why the ring wasn't easily sliding on. After fitting the filter on the camera, I had to fix the electrical tape a bit.

So that everyone knows how close we are to reaching the minimum number of 15 orders, it would be great if you would post in this thread that you have ordered, once you have done so.

The website is mainly in French, but I expect you'll be able to figure it out. The "Ajouter au Panier" button at the bottom right of each product display is the "Add to Cart" button. The option to switch between seeing prices in Dollars and Euros is at the top right, but I believe the following URL should bring the site up with Dollars as the default:

Recherche - EDR Auto France - BlackVue

The items we're talking about are the fifth (front filter only) and seventh (kit including both filters) on that page currently.

The prices shown do not include the discount. To receive the discount, use the following discount code before completing check out:

TESLA-TMCF

Please let me know if you have any questions about my use of the filters. Very specific product questions or very specific ordering questions would probably be better answered if directed to David, through the website.

Edit: I just heard from David. Orders have started, and he has decided not to wait for 15 orders, and will start shipping immediately!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is this the one for both? BlackVue Polarizer Clip If so, then this is the single? BlackVue Polarizer Clip

If so, might help to lay it out a bit easier for folks, that was a lot to read through to gleam the important bits. So:

Front Camera Kit $24.33 w/ code TESLA-TMCF
Both Camera Kit $44.67 w/ code TESLA-TMCF

That is correct (with the price typo corrected to $24.33 from $21.33.)

Thanks for distilling my post down. I would add the caveat, as I did in my lengthy original post, that the prices may fluctuate with exchange rates, because I think they are still based on the Euro.

Last edited:
That is correct.

Thanks for distilling my post down. I would add the caveat, as I did in my lengthy original post, that the prices may fluctuate with exchange rates, because I think they are still based on the Euro.

No problem, and agreed. I did the conversions using bing a few times before seeing it laid out in your post (for some reason I read that as the original price before coupon). Anywho, I'm on the fence. I did notice the glare and modified my cam position to compensate, but not sure I need to spend $45 to get rid of it in a few cases.

No problem, and agreed. I did the conversions using bing a few times before seeing it laid out in your post (for some reason I read that as the original price before coupon). Anywho, I'm on the fence. I did notice the glare and modified my cam position to compensate, but not sure I need to spend $45 to get rid of it in a few cases.

Perhaps consider just the front filter then, for under $25. You probably look at the front video a lot more than the rear anyway, and the reflection from the vents is definitely reduced.

Does this include international shipping?

I know it includes shipping to the US and Canada. I'm not sure about shipping to other countries.

A few questions:

1. What is the effect of the filters on night time video?

2. It's difficult to fill out the forms for check-out in French. I was able to see the US Dollar drop down menu. Is there one for English?

3. Any idea why they would be charging tax?

Last edited:
I dont want to sound getto but what about taking the cap that comes with the camera and cutting out a piece of polarized glass and rigging it up. As long as your precise, it should work. It doesnt have to be all that pretty since it faces outwords. However,a little bit of TLC can make it worth your wild.

A few questions:

1. What is the effect of the filters on night time video?

2. It's difficult to fill out the forms for check-out in French. I was able to see the US Dollar drop down menu. Is there one for English?

3. Any idea why they would be charging tax?

I'm not sure about the affects of the filter on the videos of night driving. I haven't made any yet.

If someone really thought that night videos were somehow worsened by the filters, they could always remove them for night driving, but I think that would probably be more hassle than its worth. Once I've taken some video at night I'll report back. I'll also save some old ones I have on an older card, so that I have something to compare to.

I don't think the site has an English language version. As I mentioned, they didn't even have the ability to charge in dollars a couple of weeks ago. For a 28% discount I'm hoping people here can figure out the checkout process. If you want a smoother process, the same items are available on Ebay for the regular prices, plus shipping, I believe. I'm not trying to make light of the situation. I just don't think I should ask the guy to rework his website into English for us, while also offering us a pretty significant discount.

As for the taxes, I think (but am not certain) that might have something to do with import or export taxes, or duty, etc.

I dont want to sound getto but what about taking the cap that comes with the camera and cutting out a piece of polarized glass and rigging it up. As long as your precise, it should work. It doesnt have to be all that pretty since it faces outwords. However,a little bit of TLC can make it worth your wild.

I did suggest in my original post that handy people that know how to work with this stuff might be able to make something, and spend less. I believe, though, from reading other posts here that talk about polarizing filters, there is also an issue involved with the orientation of the filter. So it may not be an incredibly simple process.

How is the video quality from rear camera with this filter with tinted rear window? The quality is already poor with (35%)tinted rear window, IMHO.

My front windshield is tinted at 80%. My polarized sunglasses make everything have a hint of rainbow. I am guessing this filter will do the same? Can anyone confirm?

David, my contact, is apparently reading this thread, as I received an email message from him with some pictures that he said I could post if I wanted to. The pictures below are of his car, an Audi Q5, with a tinted rear window, and a screen capture taken with the filter and the Blackvue 650, through the tinted rear window.

I have no first-hand experience with tinting.

Here are the pictures.

Audi Q5, tinted

SANY0602.JPG

Camera installed in Audi Q5
Rear camera with polarizer.jpg

Image taken through tinted window
View fron tinted window with polarizer.jpg

Hi Andy:

Just ordered 2 full sets (front & rear)--should boost your total.

Just ordered front and rear.

Glad to hear you two ordered. Thanks for updating the thread.

Just to be clear, though, David has now said that he is shipping immediately upon receiving the orders, so we no longer need to reach 15 orders. I'm certainly hoping we will, and hoping we'll exceed that, because I believe he offered us pricing he usually reserves for quantities of over 25, based on my optimism. But there is no total we need to reach for the pricing to be in effect.