Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID for Garage - Only Design Disappointment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the only issue (not horrible) is that my work garage RFID box/card doesn't work anymore in the Model S. My build, early June, has the little black dots around windshield but not much around mirror either now. Tried for a while today when wasn't busy everywhere and just couldn't get a read/open with plenty of time :-( I really wish they would have left a little space/spot or two on the upper part of windshield where RFID tags would work from (like Land Rover does on their heated windshields).

I guess I'll be rolling down the window and holding it out to get in and out of work garage from now on - grrrr...

I've noticed as well that the black dot area has shrunk/non-existent as to others I've seen. My quickpass transponder to get into my neighbor won't work and I have to open the sunroof each time. I'm going to try and mount it behind the nose cone at some point

Not sure how big your box is, but most everyone on here with an EZPass or similar has had them mounted behind the front "grill." I had this done on mine (Service center did it for me) and it works flawlessly.

im going to try it, it's a little box, maybe 2x3 inches and 1/4" thick. Not to powerful but hoping high frequency garage reader will set it off from behind nose one plastic.

little iffy on removing cone but sounds easy hehehe...

I do not have anything using RFID transponders to test with, or else I would check this myself -- but why have I not read people putting it in the frunk? If people have "non-weatherproof" units or worry about size, why would the frunk not work?

In case people think I'm crazy for suggesting this and say "it won't work through metal!", my Florida SunPass would work pretty much anywhere in the previous vehicle (as long not in the supplied bag) - but perhaps enough signal got through the windshield/windows that this worked.

I do not have anything using RFID transponders to test with, or else I would check this myself -- but why have I not read people putting it in the frunk? If people have "non-weatherproof" units or worry about size, why would the frunk not work?

In case people think I'm crazy for suggesting this and say "it won't work through metal!", my Florida SunPass would work pretty much anywhere in the previous vehicle (as long not in the supplied bag) - but perhaps enough signal got through the windshield/windows that this worked.

I thought about that too, and it was on my "to try" list.

I haven't taken RF, in a while, but as long as there is a gap in the metal of at least 10% of the wavelength, it should transmit with reasonable strength, IIRC. Ezpass is pretty weak from what I read, so it might degrade too much... Dunno.

Well look at you posting in other subforums, travwill... :tongue:

Yes, moved on to actual owner problems to take care of now! ;-) Going to try my card in the frunk and then the back window I think (since it is overhead reader but may be too far forward). We'll see how it goes - all garages kinda use the same thing in the loop it seems. Plus don't want change as this one is closest to my office and last couple floors are always spacious/empty proving ample MS protection :)

If the interior of the car is too "RF proof" for it, I can't imagine the frunk would be any better, both are Faraday cages, but the frunk is probably a better one than the cabin. Behind the nose cone is likely the best bet, if it's not weatherproof then put it in Tupperware in there.