Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Model S being towed today on 401 eastbound (towards Lawrence store ?) flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver's front tire was flat :(

Tow truck was old fashion "you can't park there after 4pm" hoist with dolly on the back. Guessing it's kinda bad to pull a flat tire onto a flatbed.

Should I get anxious about the lack of a spare ??? Anybody throw a compatible mini spare and a tire iron into their MS ??

edit: oh wait I forgot about the jack part ... heavy car lol (but, I've jacked up my 4000+ Chrysler LH with a crappy scissor jack...)

The last time I had a flat tire it was in my Roadster. I got a nail in the tire in Peterborough (pretty sure because construction zone), but two days later when I parked in my garage at home it went flat. Go figure.

Flats happen but they're really not all that frequent. I've had slow leaks, sure, but in 38 years of driving I've only had a stopped-on-the-side-of-the-road flat once (in a loaner car lol). In comparison I've had mechanical problems that left me stranded several times. So carrying around a big and heavy spare tire isn't really worth the trouble IMHO.

Tow truck was old fashion "you can't park there after 4pm" hoist with dolly on the back. Guessing it's kinda bad to pull a flat tire onto a flatbed.

Should I get anxious about the lack of a spare ??? Anybody throw a compatible mini spare and a tire iron into their MS ??

edit: oh wait I forgot about the jack part ... heavy car lol (but, I've jacked up my 4000+ Chrysler LH with a crappy scissor jack...)
My current non-Tesla car came with a tire repair kit similar to http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...-tire-covers/products/tire-repair-kit-model-s. I got a flat after 2 days of ownership, kept me going.

Some have put a spare in the frunk with the appropriate tools. I wouldn't allow a Tesla to be towed on a truck of that type. Two completely different cars but even GM won't allow a Volt to be towed on anything other than a flatbed due to the high probability of damage to the vehicle. I would expect with the Model-S being even heavier that a wheel tow would be even worse.

I had a tire blow-out on my Lexus IS 350 on the 401 about 4 years ago. I also had a blow-out as a teenager driving the family Gran Torino station wagon (with the fake wood panels on the side) 30 years ago.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone... I've had one blowout (sidewall) and lots of slow(er) leaks (a couple of nails) over many years. I'll be putting in the patch kit along with the a combined 12V battery backup + air pump gadget (Cdn Tire has 'em) in the car at all times.

As for the hoist + dolly, the car was pretty cushioned and was clear all around so I'm sure it was fine, as long as it was jacked up and connected at the right points... and was only going down the street.